Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tires that don't burn out after 10,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires that don't burn out after 10,000 miles

I will be doing a lot more commuting with my EVO. I do not want to put a Max Performance Summer Tire on there that will be done in 10,000 miles.

Rims are 18x8.5
Offset is 38mm

I was told to run a 245/40/18 tire

I was looking at the BF Goodrich KDW 2's. They got a tread rating of 7.9 on tirerack. Anyone else have any suggestions. If I could get 20,000 miles out of a set of tires I would be happy. My only request is that they can be pushed somewhat hard if need be. I am not a street racer, and if I did an SCCA event I have the stockers with some nice R compounds that I could use.

Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The BFG would be a good choice. Pretty noisy but very good in wet and dry. May also want to check out the Yokohama S Drive. Both will give you 20K miles and still retain some very good handling traits. Personally I'd look more to the Yoko than the BFG.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not worth putting on Not so gripy tires on a car made to grip.
suck it up and spend the money on good tires.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

you have a 350whp car... be happy you are getting 10K out of tires... you're completely unrealistic.

the real problem here is that you are asking the wrong question since your real goal is to save money.

what you should be asking it "what's a cheaper tire that last 10K for street only driving"

Last edited by theblue; Nov 28, 2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's winter time why are you buying any summer tires?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jedi_Gill
it's winter time why are you buying any summer tires?
one reason might be that discount tires direct is doing $50 off any 4 tires until the 30th (and free shipping as always)
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got 30K out of a set of Michelin PS2's, but they were completely toast (corded) when I finally took them off. I have about 8k on a set of Falken RT-615's and they still have way more than half to their life left.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

The KDW's are fantastic tires for the street, I highly recommend them. I even took them to the track and had a BLAST... just be careful to not let them get TOO hot. They delaminate pretty bad when they're cooked-- mostly due to that huge tread depth. But I will never use another kind of tire on the street. They NEVER wear out. When I was in high school, I had a little BMW, I drifted the SAME on ramp EVERY day for 20,000 miles on those tires... not to mention a couple track days and some spirited mountain road driving as well. I swapped them over to my Evo and they still hold up great. Alignment will really change how your tires wear. People are always saying "0 camber, 0 toe" or something to that effect to have zero rolling resistance. Then they come in for a tire rotation and see that the shoulder of all their tires are just bald and they have to replace them after 10,000 miles. If you rotate them liberally and adjust your alignment accordingly, you should be able to get 20,000+ miles of a set of KDWs on the street.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Nankang. Best tires in the world.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MATT@WORKS
The KDW's are fantastic tires for the street, ...
I have them on my street wheels right now... I feel they are comprable to the hankook RS2 but more expensive.

their grip level is lower then the 615 for sure, but they are better in the rain.

they're also pretty loud.

while I'm reviewing...
the kumho MX are too heavy and have low grip
the ES100 is nice overall but has very low limits and don't last ling.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:57 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kumho Ecsta SPT. A summer high-performance tire with good grip in dry and wet. Very quiet compared to stockers. Good treadlife (should get at least 30K out of them). A good daily driver tire that will perform nicely on a spirited mountain drive. Not sure how good they would be at the track, but around town they work quite well. And, they aren't too expensive (around $130/tire) from Discount Tire.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

How about the Bridgestone RE-01r's?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the help guys.

To "theblue" if you read my post I said I have stock rims to put some R compounds on when I want to push the car to the limits on a Track.

I do not race on the street, nor do I take on or off ramps hard. So I just need a good street tire that will somewhat last. I don't mind spending $200 + a tire for something I can get 20,000 miles out of.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
The BFG would be a good choice. Pretty noisy but very good in wet and dry. May also want to check out the Yokohama S Drive. Both will give you 20K miles and still retain some very good handling traits. Personally I'd look more to the Yoko than the BFG.

Hi Neal. According to your tests, the Fuzio ZR1 and the Kumho Ecsta SPT both scored higher then the Yokohoma S. Drive. Would you still recommend the Yoko over the Fuzion and Kumho?

Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

I saw that.... you've got -2 or more camber on your car since you have race tires, right? so forget getting 20K from any tires period. might as well be realistic and get a good value tire instead of an ultra high end all season that's 200 a tire and won't last much longer.

for your needs I recommend the new falken 912. I just put a set on my woman's subaru and I love them for an all around tire.

Quick Reply: Tires that don't burn out after 10,000 miles