Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Look what happened today =(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I inspected the tire and there is no signs of any punctures or foreign objects. The point of failure does not seem normal. Even if it was low on air, the tire should not split like this. The reinforcement should hold the tire together. Seems to me like it failed at a thin point in the side wall because there arent any signs of premature wear or exposure of tire reinforcement treads in the region of failure.

Prior to failure, i was making a slight left turn and the wheel which failed was the passenger rear tire. The point of failure was on a straight away on the road. So the point i am trying to make is, if indeed it was low on air, wouldnt the outside of the tire wear out faster than the inside of the tire since i was making a left turn traveling at ~45 mph?

Another observation is that the side walls are quite strong on these tires because it became one point of contact to the road after the tire split.

I hear alot of unsuccessful encounters with the mitsu dealers. Did anyone try to contact yokohama directly about this similar problem? Anyone successful in getting a replacement?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just saying I've seen a whole lot of tires that failed exactly like this. They all come apart exactly where yours did. It usually happens with low profile tires, the lower the profile, the more likely they are to do this. If this is a manufacturing defect, then about 0.5% of all tires on the road (from every manufacturer) are defective. I've actually seen tires in for flat repairs that were about to fail like this and they're filled with shredded rubber. The sidewall deteriorates from the inside out. I think what happens is that the tire goes flat and the rim comes down and cuts the sidewall open. Frankly, if you drove for 3/4 of a mile after you heard a grinding sound (thats when the tire went flat) I'm really not surprised at all that it did this.

That being said, I have seen people get free tires in this situation. They made a big enough pain in the *** of themselves that we gave them a tire to make them go away.

Last edited by GTLocke13; Dec 4, 2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Good luck with Yoko. Failure mode suggests underinflation.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Actually you can't take it to Mitsu for the problem. It is not a defect in the car, it's the tire. Mitsubishi doesn't warranty the tires, nor should they, they didn't make them. The issue is between you and Yokohama. Call Yokohama and see what they can do for you.
Correct, exactly what I was going to say. This reminds me for the Ford Explorer fiasco with Bridgestone and under inflation.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Mitsubishi doesn't warranty the tires, nor should they, they didn't make them.
Yah.. and call Brembo when your calipers peel. And call Momo when your steering wheel gets scuffed. And call Bilstein when your shocks blow. And call Recaro when your seats lose their fabric ri... wait what?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alex4nder
Yah.. and call Brembo when your calipers peel. And call Momo when your steering wheel gets scuffed. And call Bilstein when your shocks blow. And call Recaro when your seats lose their fabric ri... wait what?
Open up your owner manual booklet and you'll notice there are seperate warranty cards. One of them happens to be for Yokohama tires ..... oooops!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

My tire started to do the same thing
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
I'm just saying I've seen a whole lot of tires that failed exactly like this. They all come apart exactly where yours did. It usually happens with low profile tires, the lower the profile, the more likely they are to do this. If this is a manufacturing defect, then about 0.5% of all tires on the road (from every manufacturer) are defective. I've actually seen tires in for flat repairs that were about to fail like this and they're filled with shredded rubber. The sidewall deteriorates from the inside out. I think what happens is that the tire goes flat and the rim comes down and cuts the sidewall open. Frankly, if you drove for 3/4 of a mile after you heard a grinding sound (thats when the tire went flat) I'm really not surprised at all that it did this.

That being said, I have seen people get free tires in this situation. They made a big enough pain in the *** of themselves that we gave them a tire to make them go away.

I had a tire (falkin azenis) go flat at highway speeds with a rapid deflation. By the time I realized it was flat and stopped on the side of the highway, I had trashed the sidewall in a similar fashion as you describe here.

kind of sucks when the car is new, but it sounds like something caused the tire to go flat (the grinding noise)
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:17 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by braille
Problem is, the dealer i bought the car from is about 400 miles away from where i live. Car was purchased brand new off the lot.
Call your dealer and tell them what happened. They should cover this given the fact that the car only has 5,000 miles. Also, they should tow the car to the dealer.

And, for the warranty issue people are mentioning, failures like this are handled through the dealership
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Whaaaaaaat the hell...

Take it back to Mitsu asap and demand a new set of advans. If one tire did that, how are you to know the other three wont!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm impressed
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoChrisLee
My tire started to do the same thing
Did the sidewall ever seperate from the tire?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Besides, arent all vehicles produced in 2006 and on supposed to have tire pressure sensors? Mine didnt come equipped with one.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like driving on a flat tire to me..
Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by merkzu
Looks like driving on a flat tire to me..
Are you speaking from experience, or are you making assumptions?

Quick Reply: Look what happened today =(