Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Look what happened today =(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merkzu
Looks like driving on a flat tire to me..
What are the signs? How can you tell?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i usually don't swear... but what the ****... i don't even see how that is possible. i keep trying to imagine that in my head and it just doesn't work, sounds like you should be getting a new set of tires. If I were you, I'd make sure Mitsu found out about this
Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

When my car was newer the tires went bald extremely early because the car was out of alignment from the dealer and Yokohama was great and replaced all for tires for free. So def. contact Yokohama!!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO 4G63
When my car was newer the tires went bald extremely early because the car was out of alignment from the dealer and Yokohama was great and replaced all for tires for free. So def. contact Yokohama!!
Thank you! Finally someone who is speaking from similar experience. I appreciate your input very much.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

That tire looks like it was driven flat and the weight of the car pressing on the wheel, which the lip of the rim wore down the side wall (since that was what was holding the weight of the car, instead of the air pressure) and that is what cut the tire that way. There had to something else to cause the tire to loose the air pressure. It should be covered under the tire makers warranty as long as there isnt something like a nail in it.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by braille
What are the signs? How can you tell?
I had it happen in a Tahoe, passenger rear went flat on the highway and I didnt notice it right away. When I pulled over the tire was separated at the top of the sidewall, looked just like yours. Pretty sure the rim of the wheel cut it open.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 02:20 PM

thats crazy, id flip if i looked out the mirror and saw that lol
Old Dec 4, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Our dealer gets tires like that often.. When the tire is low on air (remember, a car tire can lose 1lb of air a month even without a leak) the sidewalls have to carry more of the weight... Doing so flexes the sidewall constantly and builds up heat which deteriorates the rubber... Think of it like bending a spoon back and forth until it breaks... Usually if it is caught early enough, the tire will still have damage that in unseen until you remove it from the wheel...

Not uncommon to find a load of shredded rubber inside a tire that has been run low...

So, 1 Year old car (or older depending on date of manufacture) could easily be 12lbs low on air (and 1lb a month is just an average, i have 1 tire that loses 2-3 with no leaks)... If you don't check the air every couple of months, you are asking for trouble in a low profile tire because you cannot visually tell if a tire is too low on pressure with such a low profile...
Old Dec 4, 2007, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO 4G63
Originally Posted by braille
Thank you! Finally someone who is speaking from similar experience. I appreciate your input very much.
Sorry, but alignment bad - flat tire = not same.

Speaking from experience, I had a tire go down on me, and cut almost all the way through just like yours did in the same spot. When the tire goes flat, the rim contacts the tire and cuts its way through (easy to due since a flat tire builds up a lot of heat fast). Not a tire defect, you just had a flat and drove on it too long. Which is eaisy to do due to the stiffness of the tires sidewalls, its hard to visually see one low on air.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 04:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
As much as you hate hearing it, everyone that is saying it looks like you ran it flat, are probably correct. I've seen a bunch of failures like that, and every one was because it was run flat or close to it.

Tires aren't very durable when they don't have much air in them and metal is being pressed up against them with the weight of a car.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Is it worth going through the trouble of the stealership?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

It’s worth a try, if you got the time and patience. You never know they may be generous that day! Ha-ha dough-full! But in all likelihood, you need to look for another tire or a new set.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Damm bro. You are lucky it wasn't in frt. That would of sent you for a spin.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Autoxevo
It’s worth a try, if you got the time and patience. You never know they may be generous that day! Ha-ha dough-full! But in all likelihood, you need to look for another tire or a new set.

Ya think? Yeah, new tires for you.... A good time to upgrade... Goodluck with the dealer, they will (I only know this as i worked at the dealer here) only tell you to contact the manufacturer 90% of the time... With the way dealers treat EVO's, you'll be lucky to get the number for the manufacturer from em...
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like you were driving on it very low on air at the time of the blow out or it was run on before with very low air pressure previously. I have seen this happen many times before. Tire low on air and continued to be driven on and the sidewall gets eaten away from the inside out. When its low on air it squats and wears out the sidewalls VERY quickly. Its barely noticeable on the outside but if you take the tire off you'll see lots of rubber dust on the inside of the tire and a very thin area on the sidewall around the entire tire. Its only a matter of time before the tire blows(usually at higher speeds) cause the sidewalls are so thin already. I can almost guarantee wherever you take it to will tell you the same thing. "Tire was run underinflated". GL with it man. Let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Look what happened today =(