Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Look what happened today =(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look what happened today =(

I was on my way to the airport around noon and out of nowhere, i hear a grinding sound comin from the rear. I decelerate and disengage the clutch to coast and sound is still audible. I thought it was tire noise comin from a rough road. I thought it was my rear diff going out. I was thinkin and trying to diagnose the problem as i was driving. Bear in mind i was only going about 45mph before i noticed the sound. About 3/4 of a mile later, i look in my passenger side rear view mirror to find my tire sticking out. Has this happened to anyone or has anyone ever seen something like this before? Is this a tire defect?

Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

BTW, i just made 5000 miles on the odo and i've had the car since February 06.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:24 AM
Evolved Member

is the car stock? if so this looks like a lawsuit or a free set of Advans for you, i have never seen that before. i have even slid sideways at 90mph for appx 150ft on a race track and my tyres were fine. (small patch of melted rubber). TAKE THE BACK TO MITSU!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:29 AM
Evolving Member

hell yeah its a defect.. look at how much life u have left on those stockers... luckily u weren't going any faster.. could of gotten dangerous...

take it back to Mitsu...

remember... they sold u a car that had a defect (well the tire for the most part) and they put u in danger... could be a lawsuit...
Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

Car is completely stock.

Last edited by braille; Dec 4, 2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:40 AM
Evolving Member

Problem is, the dealer i bought the car from is about 400 miles away from where i live. Car was purchased brand new off the lot.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

deffenitly try for a free set of advans, that sucks
Old Dec 4, 2007, 02:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wtf, how the hell did that happen???????????
Old Dec 4, 2007, 02:17 AM
Evolving Member

a budddy of mine had the same thing happen. same tires went bad. he had to buy out of pocket to get new one because his car was heavily modified.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TIBOevo
a budddy of mine had the same thing happen. same tires went bad. he had to buy out of pocket to get new one because his car was heavily modified.
That doesn't even make any sense. What would being modified have to do with anything? He makes so much power that he ripped the wheels apart?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Actually you can't take it to Mitsu for the problem. It is not a defect in the car, it's the tire. Mitsubishi doesn't warranty the tires, nor should they, they didn't make them. The issue is between you and Yokohama. Call Yokohama and see what they can do for you.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Willie Dynamite
That doesn't even make any sense. What would being modified have to do with anything? He makes so much power that he ripped the wheels apart?
yea thats a shame to hear about that crap. The warranty is only as good as the service manager IMO. Luckily the dealership I got mine at was really cool and helped me out with a bunch of stuff even though he coulda easily told me to screw. Even after my 2.3/35r/aem ems went in he still replaced a wheel bearing under warranty which isn't really affected by horsepower but weight. Also did a front cover under warranty.

Don't suppose this could have had anything to do with a crappy alignment? I would expect more tire wear but who knows.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

I had the exact same issue happen with my tire, and in my situation the fault was entirely mine. The tire was low on air, because of a small leak I was meaning to fix. I got on the express way and didn't think such a low leak would cause such a big issue but sure enough after about 40 min of driving the tired split open just like yours and I smelled the rubber burning about 30 seconds before the tire gave out. (I do have a keen sense of smell)... but since you are on the express way the stress associated in pushing the car if you are low on air puts alot of stress in the sidewall especially because stock advans are very soft. Chance are you where a bit low on air and you neglected it without even knowing it.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Thats crap.You should get a new set of tires out of this.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

I doubt Yokohama will give you anything for this. The tire was low on air and you ate through through the sidewall. Its actually a pretty common failure mode for tires. I used to work in a tire store and I would have to deal with at least one person a week who was mad because we sold them a "defective" tire that failed like this. They usually shut up once we found the puncture that caused it to start deflating.

Quick Reply: Look what happened today =(