Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Winter Tires: quick answers, quick questions...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:33 AM
bus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Tires: quick answers, quick questions...

First off,

1. Advans should never be driven in the snow. (Why do people even ask this question? Look at the tire, its basically a slick with a couple half cm grooves)

2. ADVANS SHOULD NEVER BE DRIVEN IN THE SNOW.

3. Ok thirdly, putting the car into the "SNOW" setting doesn't mean you can rally your car on ice.

Now, questions:

I was curious if anyone else bought the Blizzak LM-25's. I bought these tires because they seemed to be the highest rating tire at the time. They were up there with the Dunlop M3's and Winterforce also by Bridgestone.

Anyway, I drove these in the snow/ice at speeds up to 65 and they weren't too shabby. I wouldn't recommend this if you haven't rallied your car or haven't had it at least 6 months.

Anyway, anyone else with these LM-25's? Whatre your opinions if you have tried the WS-50s or other studless snow tires?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:48 AM

snow eh? i remember the first time i drove in HEAVY RAIN with the advans....
Old Dec 11, 2007, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

The LM25s are close to as good as it gets. You picked a good one out of the box.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
most any dedicated snow tire will do well. The Blizzaks just wear really fast.

That being said, I drive through heavy snow with just my Falken Ziex 912's. No problem.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker

That being said, I drive through heavy snow with just my Falken Ziex 912's. No problem.
Love the Blizzaks. Best winter tire out there in my opinion. I have a set of LM-25V's on right now. I don't think they wear that fast either.........considering how fast a pair of summer Advans do. I love how grippy these tires are. Last winter there was a storm that turned everything to ice. I had to go up this road near my work and ten cars and trucks were stuck and spinning their wheels trying to get up it. I weaved right around them all to the top, no prob. Pretty cool!!! Also their sidewalls hold up really well. They don't give very much on tight fast turns.

Last edited by Wicked White; Dec 16, 2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 05:07 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker

I use the same tire all year around as well. Not once did I ever get caught in a snow storm/blizzard.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

i have LM25's. i love em so far. they are pretty good in the dry and kick *** in the snow. i've driven in one serious storm with them so far (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...postcount=3780) and they were awesome. my buddy has the ws50's and he likes them. i havent driven his car but i'd say the ws50s are better in the snow while the lm25s are better in the dry.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

i had lm-22's last year, and this year i have recently gotten myself a set of ws-50's.

i liked the lm-22's quite alot for daily driving when there wasn't snow (as much as you can like a non summer tire), and was very happy with their performance in the snow.

the ws-50's aren't as confidence inspiring in the dry as the lm-22's, but so far with the little snow we have had, they are quite impressive.

really they are both excellent tires.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the WS-50's for 4 winters now and I love them. And they still have most of the thread left. I don't think they wear fast, but I don't drive crazy on them either.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

LM-22s were godly, so I assume the 25s are even more godly. Unfortunately 265/35/18 sold out before I could get any for the Porsche so I'm running Hankook IceBears, which are doing great so far in the place that claims "the greatest snow on earth." Haven't taken the Porsche up to any of the ski resorts up the canyons so I can't really say how they compare to the LM-22s on the Evo but around town they seems to do just as good of job in the cold/wet stuff but not quite as good in the dry stuff.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eve-slow
I have had the WS-50's for 4 winters now and I love them. And they still have most of the thread left. I don't think they wear fast, but I don't drive crazy on them either.
Bingo!

I'm on my second winter on mine and think they're just awesome in any frozen precipitation. Snow, Sleet, Ice and Slush. The car is pretty amazing as well but it's extremely important to use specific purpose tires to get the most out of your car, whatever car you have.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

I have LM-25's on my car and they have about 8400 miles on them. They don't look like they are wearing at all to be honest. I have yet to get to drive in the snow with them though. My car came from Nebraska so they came on the car when I bought it. As for daily driving it with the LM-25's, they do great. I don't really drive cray around curves or anything, but they seem to have good grip in the dry and wet.