Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Powder coating wheels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2007, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powder coating wheels

I want to get my set of polished aluminum wheels powder coated gloss black and just leave the lip polished. What are some good places to send my wheels out to because all the local shops around here are not good at all and I dont trust them with my wheels.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 08:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Better put your flame proof suit on----search----but maybe a local(to you) person will help you out. Be careful with powder coating, anything above 300 degrees will make your rims brittle, ever thought about juss painting them? You can get almost the same results with a great paint job....anyways....
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:40 AM

RM Makes some good base paints for wheels. A little expensive but worth it for the result.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Yeah a good professional paint job would look just as good.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

But does the paint last?
Old Dec 23, 2007, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

paint wont last as long as powder coating, and will probably chip after your first tire change. Not the end of the world. If you do go with powder coating, go for the lower temp stuff as the heating process of powder coating reverses the forging process of the factory forged BBS wheels. With that being said, if you use a higher temp powder coat, what you are doing is taking the factory T6 forge down to as low as a T0 forge. Realistically, you're wheel won't break, but it has been documented in some cases to do that, so just be careful. My personal $.02 is to use the low temp stuff. No ill side effects and lasts longer than paint.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

i have no idea how far scranton is from philly, but there is a great place around here called Liquid Powder Coats. i plan on sending my wheels there as they come highly recomended and i have seen their work. their website is down at the moment
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by jjm4life
i have no idea how far scranton is from philly, but there is a great place around here called Liquid Powder Coats. i plan on sending my wheels there as they come highly recomended and i have seen their work. their website is down at the moment
Scranton is roughly 2hrs or so from Philly. I would probably recommend a good shop to paint the wheels. There are quite a few reputable shops around this area (Scranton) that can spray your wheels for you.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:09 AM
Former Sponsor

With the latest articulated wheel mounting machine your rims will not get scratched by mounting them. Even WalMart has one of these machines. Painting rims is as good and lots safer than powder coating them. You never know at what temperature the powder coater baked them at. PAinting is much safer, and reliable. I'm getting my BBS MR wheels painted soon. Not gonna do the unsafe route.(powder coat) I dont want to lower the heat treated process by powder coating them. Search around the site you can see many people have painted their own rims with great results.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder what kind of machine the shop used on my SE wheels when the gouged the outer edges of them all to hell? Even a good machine can screw up your wheels if the operator doesn't care.

I'll say that powder coating does last longer but can possibly damage the wheel. Painting is cheaper and works nearly as well.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Powder Tech, Duanesburgh, NY....its a replica if the shop that powercoats for OCC. they do great work!
Old Dec 26, 2007, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

With the latest articulated wheel mounting machine your rims will not get scratched by mounting them
lol good luck with that.