Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

16" Rims and tires for winter?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears87
umm are you mentally unstable...oh wait you dont even own an evo Maybe you should find out that blizzaks come in perfect sizes for stock evo wheels...can you show me a better performing winter tire??? Go back to your mopar forums and preach hemi to each other before calling other evo owners idiots
You call me unstable; because I defend an evo owner?? Wait a second. . . Maybe I am.

I am well aware blizzacks come in the correct size, but in """"general"""" a larger sidewall works better in ice and snow.

I'm sorry you have a problem with mopar, but I'm not so pigheaded as to believe I own the FaZtEsTeSt or best car out there so I float around. I have a lot of respect for the evolution, and I recognize that my car is a product of mitsubishi technology. I try to see what's going on out there. So you can continue with your anger and stereotypes or we can try to wrangle this discussion back to civilized before it gets out of hand and we start racing interriors.

Last edited by imdevinc; Jan 4, 2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spellink ownd jooo
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by imdevinc
Finally, the reason you'd want to run those custom rims is because you bought them with the intention of using them for winter! Duh!
Um, well that's your big mistake then...duh.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Um, well that's your big mistake then...duh.
Not a mistake. You want to get together and see how good they work or not?
I'll even come to Colorado Springs the morning of the 17th. You probably have a real job and have to work during the week. An hour for lunch is all it would take to find out. And some snow.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lapkin
Hi all, I tried to search through to see if anyone posted much on this, but didn't find any hard evidence.

I am wanting to get some winter only wheels and tires, and want to know if I can do 16" without having problems with the stock brakes.

Also, if you can do 16", what are some good wheels to do it with, something very duriable. What size seems to work best in snow/ice as far as fitment with tires?

Thanks much, in advance!
If you are looking for a steel 16, as far as I know they don't exist. I went to the SEMA and PRI shows and talked to all the wheel manufactures including those who just do steel(NASCAR stuff). Showed them engineering drawings of what an Evo needs and they all said no way in steel.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 02:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
i would never put anything smaller than stock on an evo
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by NameLess AZN
i would never put anything smaller than stock on an evo
Then don't.

Nobody put a gun to your head and said you had to. Tahoeacr tried something new, thats how developments are made. If everyone went along with the status quo we'd never learn anything new; would we?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
nt

Last edited by letMeIn; Jan 4, 2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tahoeacr
Got my Blizzaks for $350.
I'm not downgrading a 17. They work fine. Just not as good. I'm not looking for "more than enough". How many WRC cars you see running a 17 in snow? True a taller sidewall will give you less response on dry pavement. A low profile tire will react too fast on ice. You want soft suspension/tires. A stiff set-up will load the outside tire too fast causing a loss of traction.
I don't think anyone is driving in 8' of snow. They don't use salt here either. I did have to drive in two feet alot. On the west shore only the highway is plowed by Cal-Trans. The neighborhoods are done by the county. It can be three to four days before your street gets plowed. Guess how deep it's gonna be in three days?

How can anyone think a 17 is great if they have never tried a 16? Isn't that like saying a STI is the bomb and never driving an Evo?
That's just plain dumb. You don't NEED a 16" wheel. Sure there are a couple that will fit, but the cost of the wheels AND the tires are going to be almost double of getting a set of 235/45/17 Nokian Hakapellitta snow tires (the best made)!

You bring up the rally point, but NO ONE runs 16" rally wheels in snow or ice conditions. Maybe tarmac, but NEVER on snow. They run 15's or smaller for dirt and snow. . .

So unless you want to get a small brake kit and run 15's so you can tear up the rally circuit - go with Blizzaks or Nokians in the stock size of 235/45/17 on your stock wheels and save us some time and save yourself some cash . . .

EVOlutionary
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay NOT for the sake of stirring the pot but I too am looking for a 16 inch wheel that will fit an Evo VIII or EVO IX.

Can anyone give me a NAME or PART NUMBER of such a wheel? Rather than just a vague idea that they exist... PLEASE

RallyDSM
Old Jan 14, 2008, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

There is no need...If I were you I'd be more worried about width.

Skinny wheels are better for snow use, which is why I have one of the few 17x7 wheels that fit the Evo (enkei RS5).

They just clear the calipers by a couple millimeters, but the are definitely ideal for winter driving.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

yeah two small
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, maybe someone can link to it but there is a thread somewhere where David Buschur talks about a set of 16" CCW's that he had built that clear the stock calipers. . .
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is David's screen name? Can't search his posts

RallyDSM
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

DavidBuschur