Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

16" Rims and tires for winter?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16" Rims and tires for winter?

Hi all, I tried to search through to see if anyone posted much on this, but didn't find any hard evidence.

I am wanting to get some winter only wheels and tires, and want to know if I can do 16" without having problems with the stock brakes.

Also, if you can do 16", what are some good wheels to do it with, something very duriable. What size seems to work best in snow/ice as far as fitment with tires?

Thanks much, in advance!
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
16" won't clear the brakes. You want cheap good wheels, get some rotas from Subydude
Old Dec 29, 2007, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letMeIn
16" won't clear the brakes. You want cheap good wheels, get some rotas from Subydude
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=314449

Those are 16x5's over my Brembos. Allthough you can't tell with those fine snow hubcaps .
Old Dec 29, 2007, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

Here's a few pics in this thread. Not the best looking for sure but beggers can't be well you know.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=176543
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
whouldn't be better to get used stock Evo wheels ?? I mean they are dirt cheap. Unless you want your car to look like this

Old Jan 3, 2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by letMeIn
whouldn't be better to get used stock Evo wheels ?? I mean they are dirt cheap. Unless you want your car to look like this

Yeah, god knows it would suck to be unique and have custom CnCd three piece aluminum rims that drastically improve your choices in winter tires.

I'd much rather look like every other idiot evo owner that tries running a set of stock wheels and pay out the *** for some just ok snow tires that I'm forced to buy because they're the only things that fit. That sounds great.

Nice red x by the way, way to own the thread.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by imdevinc
Yeah, god knows it would suck to be unique and have custom CnCd three piece aluminum rims that drastically improve your choices in winter tires.

I'd much rather look like every other idiot evo owner that tries running a set of stock wheels and pay out the *** for some just ok snow tires that I'm forced to buy because they're the only things that fit. That sounds great.

just curious why you're arguing about this and you live in Nevada???
Old Jan 3, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by igo4bmx
just curious why you're arguing about this and you live in Nevada???
you know northern NV gets alot of snow right? ie... Lake Tahoe...
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What in the world? Since when do you "pay out the ***" for "just ok snow tires"? Stock Evo rims with good snow tires is a very cheap combo that works wonderfully - far better than needed even in heavy snow areas (like where I live). Not sure where this crazy rant came from or why in the WORLD you'd want to run "custom CnCd 3-pc aluminum rims" in the Winter...that's asinine.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

umm are you mentally unstable...oh wait you dont even own an evo Maybe you should find out that blizzaks come in perfect sizes for stock evo wheels...can you show me a better performing winter tire??? Go back to your mopar forums and preach hemi to each other before calling other evo owners idiots

Last edited by dbsears; Jan 4, 2008 at 02:07 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^^^^that was cold....
Old Jan 4, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Whooaa guys, ease up. First off, letmein wrongly informs the original poster. Then out of all the pics I've posted of the rims he posts the only ones that are dirty to make his point look better. Of course that is the way they look cause I don't sit around and polish my wheels every week . I know of four different manufactures that will build rims to clear. The OP asked for "something very durable". Did we not see the "Rally Rocks Rally America" at the bottom of his post? He didn't want a cheap 17" for the winter.

Warrtalon: Your the perfect guy to respond. I'll be in Vail for a week on the 15th. Want to get together and see the difference? I'll buy you a beer to slow down your driving response . Anyways, you don't have all the ski resorts in Colorado Springs like we have right here in town. That and 45-50mph speed limits. There lies the problem. Idiot tourists in there Super Ugly Vehicles thinking there invinsible. Nothing like having a Suburban spinning 360's headed right for you. I bought the car for a winter daily driver. The rims are just part of the deal of living here. It's like an autocross and the tourists are the cones.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

^^WHAT?!?!

A set of stock wheels with some good snow tires is more than enough, and the rims should be pretty darn cheap. I just put a set of Nokian Hakka 4s (studded) on my MR bbs's. Anything less than a foot, and Im set. And that is just because of the ride height. We might not get the 8' storms you guys see in tahoe. But you aint driving in 8' of snow. I dont care what you drive. Unless its a plow. We see our share of snow, and the roads are covered in ice all winter (no salt). I love my new setup, and wouldnt have it any other way.

It sounds like youre downgrading a 17" wheel over a 16" wheel. All that a taller sidewall is going to get you is less response on the pavement. Seems to me that if someone is asking about a 16" wheel. They are probably asking due to costs of a 16" wheel/tire combo being cheaper than the 17" wheel/tire combo.

BTW: I got my Hakka 4s mounted and balanced for 680. Not a bad price for what you get if you ask me.

Last edited by Charlie_B; Jan 4, 2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Charlie_B
^^WHAT?!?!

A set of stock wheels with some good snow tires is more than enough, and the rims should be pretty darn cheap. I just put a set of Nokian Hakka 4s (studded) on my MR bbs's. Anything less than a foot, and Im set. And that is just because of the ride height. We might not get the 8' storms you guys see in tahoe. But you aint driving in 8' of snow. I dont care what you drive. Unless its a plow. We see our share of snow, and the roads are covered in ice all winter (no salt). I love my new setup, and wouldnt have it any other way.

It sounds like youre downgrading a 17" wheel over a 16" wheel. All that a taller sidewall is going to get you is less response on the pavement. Seems to me that if someone is asking about a 16" wheel. They are probably asking due to costs of a 16" wheel/tire combo being cheaper than the 17" wheel/tire combo.

BTW: I got my Hakka 4s mounted and balanced for 680. Not a bad price for what you get if you ask me.
Got my Blizzaks for $350.
I'm not downgrading a 17. They work fine. Just not as good. I'm not looking for "more than enough". How many WRC cars you see running a 17 in snow? True a taller sidewall will give you less response on dry pavement. A low profile tire will react too fast on ice. You want soft suspension/tires. A stiff set-up will load the outside tire too fast causing a loss of traction.
I don't think anyone is driving in 8' of snow. They don't use salt here either. I did have to drive in two feet alot. On the west shore only the highway is plowed by Cal-Trans. The neighborhoods are done by the county. It can be three to four days before your street gets plowed. Guess how deep it's gonna be in three days?

How can anyone think a 17 is great if they have never tried a 16? Isn't that like saying a STI is the bomb and never driving an Evo?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
What in the world? Since when do you "pay out the ***" for "just ok snow tires"? Stock Evo rims with good snow tires is a very cheap combo that works wonderfully - far better than needed even in heavy snow areas (like where I live). Not sure where this crazy rant came from or why in the WORLD you'd want to run "custom CnCd 3-pc aluminum rims" in the Winter...that's asinine.

First of all, I don't know where you come from but where I come from $600 + for snow tires is rape. I keep a beater with blizzaks on it and my latest set of four cost $200.

Second, I never said a 17 wouldn't work, it will.

Third, the original picture posted by letmein was a slam on tahoeacr's wheels that's where the rant came from. I didn't mean to infer that every evo owner on stock rims is an idiot. I appologise if it came off that way.

Finally, the reason you'd want to run those custom rims is because you bought them with the intention of using them for winter! Duh!