Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tell everyone what u think about your aftermarket tires and compare

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ja_tuner
Goodyear F1's are the stock tires on my car in 225 40 18 size.

Performance...... They have VERY SOFT SIDEWALLS and generally on a track with 41psi cold tire pressure they still roll over.

Daily driving in states with bad roads NY for example, you will find that tire bubbles are a regular deal.

For the record they are excellent in the rain until they have enough mileage that the rain groves become cut off from the center of the tire.
Thanks for the knowledge and use of these tires, that helps me narrow these out of the equation as I don't want soft side walls personally.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by garcias2k
I had those on my s2000, and man, when they warmed up they stuck like glue. Good choice.
Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Believe it or not... Norco Mitsu put Nexen tires on my EVO IX. I had NEVER heard of this tire company and I do NOT recommend anyone ever buying these for an EVO. They absolutely SUCK for road noise so bad it gives you headaches. They are classified as being all season tires and actually did well on snow packed roads this last week.

I am looking for a tire that has very low road noise levels, good wet traction ability and sticks like no other on dry pavement... I am wanting suggestions for my stock 06 IX SE BBS rims. Anyone??

Cheers-
E

Last edited by Wicked E; Jan 9, 2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I've had the pleasure to have owned 4 sets of stock Advans, 1 set of Falken Azenis RT-615, and 1 set of Kumho MX. The Advans are the best in the dry so far for me. When they get Like 30% or lower, then they really get sticky. In the rain they suck, I only feel safe driving 60 MPH in them. The Falkens in 245-45-17, where a good tire for the price. They had good dry traction, but would become greasy when they heated too much which was kind of easy to do. These tires also had stiff side walls when you put the right PSI in them. I remember I could drive 70 MPH in them when it was raining, but they would hydroplane when you hit any medium to good sized puddles. The Kumho MX's where a bad tire for the driving enthusiast. They lacked dry grip because of the compound(I think) and the soft side walls. Even with a lot of air, they just wouldn't grip that well. I remember in the rain these tires were good. I could drive 80 MPH and feel safe, but usually stay at 70 to be safe. Now I have heard, from a trusted source, that the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 tires are a good tire if your on a budget. $105 a tire in size 245-45-17.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E
Believe it or not... Norco Mitsu put Nexen tires on my EVO IX. I had NEVER heard of this tire company and I do NOT recommend anyone ever buying these for an EVO. They absolutely SUCK for road noise so bad it gives you headaches. They are classified as being all season tires and actually did well on snow packed roads this last week.

I am looking for a tire that has very low road noise levels, good wet traction ability and sticks like no other on dry pavement... I am wanting suggestions for my stock 06 IX SE BBS rims. Anyone??

Cheers-
E
Have you heard the noise level of the stock Advans? I'm asking because I want to know a baseline I can work off of so I can give you a good recommendation. BTW Norco Mitsu left the springs spacers on my car when I bought the car new from them. Also where a PITA to deal with when financing my car. They did even give me a tank of gas or at least half, I got an 1/8th of a tank.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

Dont even get me started on those ****ers...

Financing was a big PITA, I was given NO gas so you're lucky to even get ANY, I'm talking gas light on and rolling sputters stalling into the Shell gas station down the street. I asked the boss to send me a survey to complete on my experience and I am still waiting for it 3 months later after a promise to send one. I am going to be calling those *******s to get my extended warranty refund of 2500 bucks they snuck into financing which won't do me squat as I bought the car modded and they swore up and down it would be covered regardless. I forget the boss's name but he's a real *******... I drove 18 hours straight from Colorado and got there expecting to have everything ready for me as I faxed all paperwork they requested (driver's license, pay stubs, etc.) and they STILL made me fill out a completely new credit form and took NEW copies of all the paperwork I faxed them the day before. I was there for 4 hours and was awake for 22-23 hours straight. I was royally pissed but nothing I could do because I drove that far and wanted to GTFO out of there before my very short fuse went off... /end rant

I have NO experience with the stock Advans unfortunately.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Has anyone tried the RE070's? /hides
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaliMR
Has anyone tried the RE070's? /hides
I'm getting my flame thrower out... The forest you're hiding in is NOT safe...

My buddy has those on his car and absolutely hates them with a passion... nuff said...
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

As far as dealers, I think the place I bought mine at siphoned the gas out while I was doing the paperwork, because the gas cap was loose (CEL light went on) and it was bone frickin dry (gas light was on). And it was not that way when inspected it before signing the papers.

Back on topic, I was going to buy some RE050's to try um out, but America's Tire told me that they are discontinued. I guess they just were too lazy to order them, and thought I would buy the cr@p they had in stock. So for now, I am running completely bald stockers. They are pretty fun in the rain
Old Jan 9, 2008, 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

Falken rt-615's are what I have now 235/45/18... These are the best bang for the buck hands down. I have about 12-15k miles on them right now, and there's at least 85% left on the tread. One would figure that I would have harsh road noise, but there is far less than the stock Advans. As for wet traction, they are the best for the price to. When you compare the price, wear, traction, wet driving.... you can't go wrong. I live in so cal, and drive to Oregon 4-5 times a year. These tires are amazing on the mountain passes, and the 10-12 hour drive as well... Well worth the price.... FWIW
Old Jan 9, 2008, 03:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lv05evo
I've had the pleasure to have owned 4 sets of stock Advans, 1 set of Falken Azenis RT-615, and 1 set of Kumho MX. The Advans are the best in the dry so far for me. When they get Like 30% or lower, then they really get sticky. In the rain they suck, I only feel safe driving 60 MPH in them. The Falkens in 245-45-17, where a good tire for the price. They had good dry traction, but would become greasy when they heated too much which was kind of easy to do. These tires also had stiff side walls when you put the right PSI in them. I remember I could drive 70 MPH in them when it was raining, but they would hydroplane when you hit any medium to good sized puddles. The Kumho MX's where a bad tire for the driving enthusiast. They lacked dry grip because of the compound(I think) and the soft side walls. Even with a lot of air, they just wouldn't grip that well. I remember in the rain these tires were good. I could drive 80 MPH and feel safe, but usually stay at 70 to be safe. Now I have heard, from a trusted source, that the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 tires are a good tire if your on a budget. $105 a tire in size 245-45-17.
Good write up. Once again the 615's come up but I really they thought they would have better dry grip than the stockers, oh well once again thanks for the intel!
Old Jan 9, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wicked E

Cheers-
E
My Michelin PS2's are awesome in the wet, there quiet, they ride nice (due to softer sidewall) and they have very good dry grip. I figure to get around 15-20K out of them and they are around $190ea.
IMO much nicer tire than the OE Advans...
Old Jan 9, 2008, 06:52 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
has anybody tried the michelin pilot sport cup?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
has anybody tried the michelin pilot sport cup?
Now that is a sick tire.
I wouldn't expect to get more than 2k out of a set of those. I'd love to try a set if I didn't have to pay for them $$$$$$.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

I meant to say that the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 tires are a good tire and good on price. These are my next set and probly will stick with these for the street for a while and have R-comps on different wheels for the track or any really hard driving.