Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Can the Evo suspension take well to bumpy roads?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the Evo suspension take well to bumpy roads?

Hey guys,

Sorry If this question has been asked before but I am wondering if the Evo's suspension can take abuse from bumpy roads.

We all know the suspension is super stiff and when driving over bumpy roads or railroad tracks it feels like the suspension is taking a beating.

I am wondering if our rally suspension is designed to handle this kind of abuse or is it better to drive as "carefully" as possible over crappy roads.

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2008, 02:54 PM
Account Disabled

the suspension should be fine, it's the tires and wheels you should worry about
Old Jan 8, 2008, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And this by no means is a rally suspension. They ride firm for a stock car, but by no means something you need to worry heavily about.

However if you put in nice coilovers you might want to take it easy on really rough roads, because they are made for smooth pavement.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

If the suspension was going to get damaged driving over a bumpy road or railroad tracks, you can probably assume that it wouldn't have made it into production. Even if it was a rally suspension (it's not), what would make you think that a suspension designed for rally use could not stand up to daily driving?

However if you put in nice coilovers you might want to take it easy on really rough roads, because they are made for smooth pavement.
Not sure where you heard that, but I'd disagree.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noob4life
Not sure where you heard that, but I'd disagree.
Guess it depends on how low you have it and what kind of shocks you have. I learned that the hard way.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 05:24 PM

In my evo, I can go down county roads way faster than compared to my talon which, has jic magic coilovers. The talon just bucks and the evo handles great. It just rolls with the road. To me it is actually pretty smooth. By the way the evo suspension is stock just a rear strut tower bar. And I live in southern ohio brown county, rough roads. But not full of potholes.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 05:28 PM

Maybe I should raise the talon? I have 17 x 7 1/2 wheels set for street and they dont rub so I should be high enough.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PHDoc19
Guess it depends on how low you have it and what kind of shocks you have. I learned that the hard way.
Yes, it might very well depend on what shocks you have. Unfortunately, I think a lot of other people learn that the hard way as well.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

The coilover manufacture typically will say in their manuals whether or not the coilovers are mean't for paved, unpaved, etc.

Any "street" coilovers I would think should be able to handle what the stock ones can as far as the diversity of road conditions, no?

It's the "race" versions I think that would be for smooth pavement alone.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Well I think that any well-built (not well designed, just well built) coilovers should be able to withstand regular use on public roads. I'd say it the valving and spring rates that dictates whether or not a setup will perform better on a paved surface race track or an unpaved, uneven and inconsistent surface race track.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

I have MR suspension on my RS and some of my favorite roads to drive are virtual cow paths. I have yumped railroad crossings, one lane bridges and four wheel drifted enough gravel off back roads to fill many a ditch.

With that said I would put the stock MR suspension up against many full on rally suspensions for control and ability. You are not going to have the ability to beat it the way a big money set could be beaten but there is no question that my evo is FAR faster than the rally car that we just set a record at pikes peak with. It's a FWD diesel sure but it has about as much money in suspension and chassis as I have in my whole car.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I went to visit a friend in a small town. I was driving along looking for his house when BLAM!!!, I thought the car blew up. I got out to look. Some city worker had cut the asphalt covering a manhole. I didn't measure but this hole was deep.

The first thing I did when home was check the alignment. I think this hit would have done serious damage to most cars. The toe on my Evo was still exactly at zero. This is a tough car.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

The stock rims will bend before the suspension fails. At least the non BBS ones.