Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anyone running OEM size Stoptech slotted rotors? "Warped rotor" issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running OEM size Stoptech slotted rotors? "Warped rotor" issue

(If you have the oem size stoptechs.) If so how are they holding up? Have you tracked them? Better or about the same as stock?

Also for anyone that reads this, I swear my rotors are warped. I thought it was build up and did what was recommended by stoptech's website and it went away or almost all of it. But then it ended up coming back a couple of days later. Warped rotors or should I give it another try? Also before i found out that it could be build up, the dealer cut my rotors. So I'm assuming that just took a couple of thousand miles off of them. I'm either stuck with going with the stoptechs now or wait a little longer and end up going with the Performance Friction 2 piece rotors.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

If the rotors were warped would it ever go away and then come back? I think not. Why would you be stuck with the stoptech or the performance friction there are a ton of other options out there.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
if your rotors were recently cut then i doubt they are warped, unless you drive like a complete asshat. its most likely a problem with your pads being improperly bedded in

I have stoptech slotted rotors on my wrx now for almost 30k miles and they are fine
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Going on about 10k on my stoptechs. And they are fine.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After I had my stock rotors cut (the shop didn't bother to ask me) I started getting vibration within about two weeks. I think once you cut the Evo rotors they become so susceptible to overheating that you're going to ruin them. I would try scrubbing them down again and re-bedding the pads, but don't hold out a lot of hope.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Are you heating up your brakes and clamping on them with your pads (i.e. sitting still with the brake pedal depressed) while stopped?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

No I'm not sitting on them when I'm stopped. I don't drive the car like a racecar and I haven't tracked the car either, yet.

First time I had the vibrations I had no idea that it was possibly due to build up so I had the dealer cut them for me. It was good for about 1-2 weeks or so and then it came right back. I read on stoptechs website about it possibly being build up and did what was recommended. That helped for about a 1-3 days. Not driving the car at all except for on the last day.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Get stoptech's two piece non slotted/drilled rotors. best rotors ive ever had, period.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

I recently put on the stop tech two piece rotors with my used ferrodo ds2500 pads, i bedded them in just like stop tech recommened. They seem to be fine for normal driving or a couple of spirited stops. but on the track after repeated hard stops there was defintly a vibration. No fade still good stopping power, just a little bit of vibration. And then after the track day the brakes felt fine. they dont vibrate in normal driving so iam assuming the vibration is just from alittle build up. who knows so far iam hapy with the stop tech and am hoping they are not warped as intend o to do alot of track days
Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

When you're at the track you have to be very careful about coming to a full stop with brakes applied at all. I always do a good cool down lap and then a few minutes around the pits before coasting to a stop against my wood block. 1 click on the e-brake just to get the turbo timer working.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old Jan 20, 2008, 05:41 PM

im running the slotted stoptech oe size rotors all four corners hps in the front and project mu's streets in the rear i drive 120+ miles a day... ive been running them for 10k so far zero complaints no squeaks. tracked two days on these pads and rotors also so far... im switching to two pieces soon just b/c im bored lol
Old Jan 20, 2008, 06:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Almost every case of this is an overheated pad that deposits unevenly on the rotor.

If it's a constantly recurring issue than you need to either get a higher heat pad that can take what you are giving it - or be more careful with the brakes.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOBrakes
Almost every case of this is an overheated pad that deposits unevenly on the rotor.

If it's a constantly recurring issue than you need to either get a higher heat pad that can take what you are giving it - or be more careful with the brakes.
proabbly maybe ill switch to the ferrodo 3000 pads just for track days.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 06:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lucky13evo
proabbly maybe ill switch to the ferrodo 3000 pads just for track days.
they wear out instantly with slotted rotors

hawk or PFC

Quick Reply: Anyone running OEM size Stoptech slotted rotors? "Warped rotor" issue