Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Alignment head scratcher....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alignment head scratcher....

I'm having an issue that neither myself nor the dealership can figure out.

After installing Espilir GT springs and some various Whiteline bushings, I took the car to the dealership to get an alignment. Everything looks good except the front camber. Here's the deal:

With both arrows on the stock eccentric bolts facing inward, the camber is:
LEFT -0.5
RIGHT -1.2

With both arrows on the stock eccentric bolts facing outward, the camber is:
LEFT -1.1
RIGHT -1.8

As you can see, in either setting, the resulting cross-camber is 0.7 degrees, which is way off.

We tried everything we could think of to try to correct this, but nothing seemed to work. To me, based upon the camber the eccentric bolt is supposed to produce, it looks like the right side is "normal" and the left side is messed up, but I'm at a loss as to how to correct it.

So, I'm asking here, hoping that a suspension guru will shed some light on the situation and give me something to try, or at least something to look for.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well they should be at -1, so you can get your left side there. what you need to do is, on the right side, loosen both bolts, then put a prybar in there and pull that side in as another person tightens them, should get you to around 1.1 or so. I had the same problem with mine, and thats what me and my teacher did and worked perfect. Another thing is, ask to sit in the car while they do your alighnment. It makes more of a difference then you think! We had my car in perfect spec, I got in (I weigh 165 lbs so not much) and it through it off by a few degrees, so make sure to take that into the equation. That could put you back into spec also.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Celica2EVO
Well they should be at -1, so you can get your left side there. what you need to do is, on the right side, loosen both bolts, then put a prybar in there and pull that side in as another person tightens them, should get you to around 1.1 or so. I had the same problem with mine, and thats what me and my teacher did and worked perfect. Another thing is, ask to sit in the car while they do your alighnment. It makes more of a difference then you think! We had my car in perfect spec, I got in (I weigh 165 lbs so not much) and it through it off by a few degrees, so make sure to take that into the equation. That could put you back into spec also.
Actually, the right side seems to be fine with a choice of -1.2 or -1.8. I think you meant to try the prybar on the left side, which should be -1 instead of -0.5 on the more conservative setting.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I'd like to have a few different things to try before heading back to the shop, if possible.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

The left side went from -.5 to -1.1, therefore you want -1 on that side which is fine.

The right side was between 1.2-1.8, you need to get that down to 1-, so you need to force it to get back to -1.

The left side can be at -1, the right side needs encouragement to get there.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Celica2EVO
The left side went from -.5 to -1.1, therefore you want -1 on that side which is fine.

The right side was between 1.2-1.8, you need to get that down to 1-, so you need to force it to get back to -1.

The left side can be at -1, the right side needs encouragement to get there.
I understand what you are saying, but if I did it that way, one of the camber bolts would be pointing inward and the other would be pointing outward, which is wrong. My problem is that if you have them both pointing in the same direction (both inward or both outward) as you are supposed to do, the cross camber is off by too much.

I'm trying to figure out why this is occurring and how I can fix it.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

The point of camber bolts are so you can adjust it more. It doesnt matter which way they are pointing, what matters is that your alignment is within spec. The tab on the bolt needs to be spun to whereever gives you the propper camber. If they had to be facing the same way, there would be no need for an alignment. All anyone would need to do is make sure there tabs are in the same spot on both sides and they would be in spec. You will never get it correct if you keep trying to make the tabs point the same direction.