Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I'm most likely going to be buying some new wheels soon, and some new tires to go along with them. I was looking at the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1's on tirerack.com.

I don't track the car, besides at the max maybe 2 trips to the drag strip a month. I live in south Florida, so that means it will be sunny one moment, and pouring rain the next. So, I need a tire that will be good in the rain. The car is a daily driver and not a race car, so I don't need something crazy expensive.

Did I pick out an ok tire? I plan on running a 245/40/18. What others should I consider? I did do a quick search, but I saw mixed opinions on the Z1's, and no definite answer on wet conditions traction.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mike
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:40 AM

I have them on a set of 19's. They're an okay tire, nothing outstanding. They should fill your needs from the way you described you'll be using them.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 02:21 PM

I just ordered a set and track my car as much as possible or at least as much as my budget can. None the less i did as much homework as possible checking all the different forums and what not. They really seem to be the best tire for the budget and a little over.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 05:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Really good bang for the buck tire. I'd say they are better than Kumhos in dry,wet, and longevity. If you're just doing the normal day to day driving with an occasional push here/there they will work fine. Size will work as well.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Cool, thanks Neal!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeIsBoosted
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I'm most likely going to be buying some new wheels soon, and some new tires to go along with them. I was looking at the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1's on tirerack.com.

I don't track the car, besides at the max maybe 2 trips to the drag strip a month. I live in south Florida, so that means it will be sunny one moment, and pouring rain the next. So, I need a tire that will be good in the rain. The car is a daily driver and not a race car, so I don't need something crazy expensive.

Did I pick out an ok tire? I plan on running a 245/40/18. What others should I consider? I did do a quick search, but I saw mixed opinions on the Z1's, and no definite answer on wet conditions traction.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mike
The Z1s tested the best of the max perf tires in the wet by TR.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

I just ordered a set as well, but waiting for rims to mount them. I did a lot of research and seems like a really good bang for the buck tire.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

I've got them and I have to say they're the best tires I've ever owned as far as price and grip on dry/wet are concerned. I actually drive faster in the rain with these then I ever did with other tires because they feel so planted and not squirrelly at all.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome. Thanks for the replies, everyone!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

what about the sport maxx?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 04:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
those came oem on my IS350. quite good in the wet/dry, average noise/ride, semi quick wearing. they are more designed around being an oem tire *in the EVO size its an Audi oem version* rather than a perf aftermarket tire like the Z1. a step down in perf over the Z1's.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Neal, any idea when the 245/40/17 are going to be back in stock for the Z1?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like I got mine right when they came out and everyone wasn't buying them yet I got them in 2 days.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A friend of mine runs these, when i tuned him it was wet out and they did an outstanding job keeping traction on a 340whp car.

Didnt take any hard turns, but we felt very safe driving on them, I love the Kumho MX because of how well they respond in the wet. They were just out done by the Z1's though so bye bye MX!

Cheers!
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I finally got a chance to drive rather aggressively on them lastnight becasue there was no rain. I love them. The transitional changes when changing momentum seems very smooth, so the side walls seem to hold up great. Traction was fantastic too. (a couple corners at 80+ mph, private road) I had a friend with me in his Evo, with Ohlin Flags and the Bridgestones, he says a couple of times he had to clinch the butt cheeks. lol

Should be colder here tonight, I might see what the break away is like, to see how predictaable the are. I came from the Toyo Proxies, lets just say I have renewed faith in my cars abilites.