Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2008, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo271
So is it better to have a higher wall or lower side wall for snow?

Or does it not matter?
For snow/ice you'll want a taller/squishier sidewall to allow the tread to get a better bite on the surface, but that will make the tire less communicative in the dry. Its all a tradeoff...if you're running 17" rims/tires, you're not going to get alot of sidewall flex like you would running 15" rims/tires.

Dave
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is what I am looking for. Information between the LM-22's and the ws-50s...

I live in MD so we dont get a whole lot of snow down here

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
i had a set of bridgestone blizzack lm-22's. loved them. great tires for the snow, and not that bad for just cruising around on.

a couple months ago i traded them plus a little cash for a set of evo viii enkei's with bridgestone blizzak ws-50's on them.

so far i have been happy with the ws-50's. they're considered more of a hardcore snow tire, so they're not as comfortable or responsive in dry conditions.

i wish i could tell you how they are in the snow, but so far this winter we haven't gotten any substantial snowfall in pittsburgh for me to test them with. heh.

judging by my last set of blizzak's, i am sure these ones will perform amazingly in the snow. with the lm-22's i never had any problems getting anywhere.

additionally, the tread life seems to be very good. i rode my first set through two seasons (approximately 8k miles total), and they really didn't show very much wear at all. i would guess you could easily get 5 or 6 seasons out of a set.

-edit-

i got the lm-22's for about 800, shipped. from tire rack.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Alright! Its been a long time, but I just bought the Hankook Winter iPikes. The tread on those puppies is freakin awsome, and the best part, $106 a tire.

We'll see how they handle the snow. BRING IT CHICAGO!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

I run the WS-60's on my Evo. Had them up to 100 on the ice racing track. I am considering trying out the michelin X-ice2 for ice racing this winter on my focus.

My boss is going to run the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 at our street race this march. Track conditions consist of wet extremely cold asphalt to warm snowy. Check them out on tire rack depending on your conditions.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:49 AM

i had the blizzack 22's before i moved, now i'm able to walk to class. raised my old teins up, throw on some blizzacks and go out and play marcus gronholm haha. unfortunatly, you cant dictate what tires other people have, and that was the case for me. at the same time though, i also ran a set of sumitomo hzr's for a winter, its just about patience and going slow. here in kansas we dont get feet of snow, but we have a reputation lately of ice storms. had 4 inche thick sheets of ice last winter. i wasnt going to risk it, that was civic weather ha. anyways, be careful guys
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

i live in wyoming where there is 4 feet of snow on average in town so i definitly need good snow tires. this year i am trying out the new nitto sn2. i dont have any pics yet but they look like they will do awesome in the snow and ice
Old Nov 24, 2008, 05:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo271
So is it better to have a higher wall or lower side wall for snow?

Or does it not matter?

Sidewall height dosen't make much difference. However, the tire's width plays a larger role. If you have the option of running a narrower tire size that will help with snow/ice traction. Easier for a narrower tire to cut thru the snow vs. a wider one.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

anyone know what i need to get steelies to fit over the Brembos? i would rather just be able to throw on the snow tires+wheels just for going up to the pass.

do they make low offset steelies?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aznj
anyone know what i need to get steelies to fit over the Brembos? i would rather just be able to throw on the snow tires+wheels just for going up to the pass.

do they make low offset steelies?
I remember seeing Jarods car from Buschur on 4 spares.....it was just temporary I think for storage or something, but your question reminded me of it...I'm sure it's on here somewhere...
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
Sidewall height dosen't make much difference. However, the tire's width plays a larger role. If you have the option of running a narrower tire size that will help with snow/ice traction. Easier for a narrower tire to cut thru the snow vs. a wider one.
I tried to get some real data on this. Unfortunately, the 205/50's measure 1.75" wider on the rims than the 205/60's. I do think the loss in performance was from the wider tire.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nick735
+1 on the Nokians. They are made in Finland, the same country that produced these maniacs.

Yeah, but notice these Focus is running BFGs and Evo is most likely on Michelins?

Dave
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know much about the cooper weathermaster ST/2 Or toyo Observe garit KX?

My friend ran the cooper on his STI for one year and they seemed to work really good especially in deep snow but I dont know much about the garit although i've used the 02 on some of my other cars and they seemed to work really good.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:46 AM

go with the bridgestone blizzaks, good snoiw tires had good luck with them.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

i picked up some lightly used dunlop graspics a couple weeks ago....cant wait to get them on.....be safe guys
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

never had a problem with blizzaks yet, did me good for the past years with all my cars for winter. i live in chicago so i duno how i would compare it from where youre from. But theyre awesome!

Quick Reply: Snow Tires