Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this year I'm Trying out the New Michelin X-ice2 I will see how it goes, So far no snow but I can say for sure.. Very little road Noise on the dry road .

http://www.michelinwintercenter.com/

TOMMY B

RALLY ON /////////////

Last edited by TOMMY B; Dec 5, 2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
I just installed a set of Hankook Winter Ipike W409. I paid just over $420 shipped online for the 225/40/17's. I've never had a dedicated set of snow tires, but the day I had them installed I got to test them out in a small amount of snow/ice! So far, I'm VERY happy with the grip these things provide for the relatively inexensive price! Can't wait for 12+ inches of snow!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Hankook Winter Ipike W409 are a good copy of the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI at less than 1/2 the price. I have a set on my wife's car.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

I like my Wintersport 3Ds so far but I really don't have anything to compare them to. They handle fairly good on dry also. I'm running 205/50/17.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 03:41 AM
vd
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i run Nokian WR and by far suppose it's the most efficient solution for Evo + non-extreme winter. The tyre works good for high speed active driving and is relatively quiet.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 08:48 PM

i just purchased a set of cooper weather masters, so far so good for the price in the dry can't wait to try it in the snow..... any opinions in these tires?
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:35 AM

What rims are you guys running these snow tires on? Cheap steel or alloy? Do most of you just buy a separate cheap rims for these?

Last edited by prodystopian; Dec 13, 2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prodystopian
What rims are you guys running these snow tires on? Cheap steel or alloy? Do most of you just buy a separate cheap rims for these?
Most Evo owners I know use the OEM wheels for their winter tires and then buy nice rims for summer tires.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:44 AM

snow tires

I ran pirelli wintersports last year and they worked great. Never got stuck once. They stopped making them so I took a tip from a friend and got the blizzaks. There great for traction in the snow but for daily driving they are terrible. The sidewalls are super soft so going around a corner feels like im fishtailing all over the road. But they have a couple different blizzzaks and I dont know which one I have.

I worked at a ski resort last year. And this year i've only been up a couple of times. BUt so far there great in the snow.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:09 PM

i use my stock bbs rims for winter and then planning on buying some nice gramlight with summer tires
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

just picked up some nokians, throwing them on the car shortly..
Old Dec 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in Salt Lake City, we get snow from time to time, and a bit of ice. I decided to actually just buy a pair of Kumho ASX's (I ran them on the 2004 ralliart I used to own and really liked them) and just had em' siped this time around. I just had them put on today, do no real review yet, but I *hope* that a decent pair of all-seasons would behave rather well after a siping. These will be rotated out come summer time as well.

I figure the combo of siping + awd should make the all seasons more than sufficient. I'm not taking the car skiing, just on some icy.snowy roads from time to time. The car is mostly garaged unless I want to take it out, otheerwise I would have more seriously considered a winter/snow tire instead of an all season.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

I had the Bridgestone RE92s on my Impreza siped a few years back, and I can't say I noticed any difference. The problem relates to the fact that all season tires have hard rubber on them.

If you're not taking your car skiing every weekend you'll be fine, just take it easy when the weather gets bad.

Dave
Old Dec 16, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveK
I had the Bridgestone RE92s on my Impreza siped a few years back, and I can't say I noticed any difference. The problem relates to the fact that all season tires have hard rubber on them.

If you're not taking your car skiing every weekend you'll be fine, just take it easy when the weather gets bad.

Dave
Thanks for the input. I'm curious to see how it turns out. We actually had a pretty heavy snowfall overnight. The tires performed really well today, but hell, they haven't even been on the car 24 hours yet. In about three inches of snow they did better than I expected. I'll continue to update as the weeks go by. I do recall that on the old ralliart these same tires hardened up pretty badly in deep snow.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

if i lived in aplace like utah (where i assume it snows a decent amount consistantly each year) i would definately invest in snow tires.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires