Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Tires

For those of us that live in the north.

What kind of snow tires are you guys running? What do you recommend? and What are the best tires for extreme grip in the slipperyest conditions?

Pictures please! Lets see the treads.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 08:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have hercules avalanche snow tires.
http://www.herculestire.com/catalogH...XtremePass.pdf
they are a lot better than blizzacks in heavy snow.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lemmonhead
I have hercules avalanche snow tires.
http://www.herculestire.com/catalogH...XtremePass.pdf
they are a lot better than blizzacks in heavy snow.
this guy again, i remember there use to be a huge thread about how he tried to promote these tires even though no one's ever herad of them. As i recall there was a challenge to test this tires up against blizzaks but then the thread died .

Look here if you are wondering, but it also has some good info about snow tires https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=309885

I have a set of Dunlop wintersport M3s, they are great in snow, but you have to get them in the right size and inflate them properly. I picked them because they had decent dry traction as well just in case my summer setup dies on me I can still run these for a while, which actually happened. If you are looking for some more serious snow tires, I would definately suggest blizzaks, you can't go wrong with them, i think more than 75% of Evo owners are running blizzaks for daily snow driving. Just make sure you get a smaller width tire and inflat them so they can dig into the snow well. Fat tires on snow = sideways evo.

If it's REALLY bad, I'd look into some studded or ice tires...I'm currently in Central PA and the roads do completely freeze over from time to time, and the wintersports aren't as effective as they could be, which in turn makes the stupid ABS kick in.

Anyways, goodluck looking for a tire, can't go wrong with blizzaks.\

There are my wintersports

In this kind of weather

Last edited by VtexGt3; Feb 4, 2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I run Michelin Pilot Alpin's. I highly recommend them for the winter time. They offer good traction all the time with a quiet ride. As far as extreme grip IDK.

Stay away from that junk Lemmonhead is pushing...
Old Feb 4, 2008, 08:53 AM
Account Disabled

grillpt is ignorant obviously, check out the specs yourself, avalanche is not junk, they are for extreme winter use, lots of snow. do your research before commenting on products, it makes you look like a fool!!!!!!!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

lets not get into fights here, saying he is competely ignorant is foolish in it's own right, you push your tires because you are running them and have had good experience, and he is doingthe same. So if he is a fool then you are equally foolish.

If you have nothing useful to say then don't bother posting up a comment just to put someone else down, especially if their input is experience based. As far as the evo community is concerned, the tires you are talking about have had far less exposure and application than blizzaks or even studded ice tires which some of us run for snow rallys or for very very icy mountain areas. Furhtermore, extreme winter use tires are usually defined by tires with full studs, which the previously mentioned tires do not have.

Once again, look through some of the threads discussing the difference factors and characteristics that make a good snow tire, think of what your main applications for the tire are, and then look at your price range, then pick the tire best suited for your needs. Theres no need to jump on a hyped up bandwagon if you don't need to. For most places tires like wintersports are good enough, for heavier snow run blizzaks, they have both been tried and tested over the past few years by people on this very forum and have come back with great results.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 09:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have used many snow tires in the past and always come back to the B-Stone Blizzaks. Will not use anything else on my vehicles.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Dunlop Wintersport 3D
Old Feb 4, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Blizzaks blizzaks and more blizzaks. They sold out of the right size for my Porsche so I'm stuck with Hankook Ice Bears (which aren't bad) but I ran LM-22s on the Evo and they were amazing.

Blizzak LM22s

I wanted these: LM25s

The Ice Bears:

Last edited by UT_Evo; Feb 4, 2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Its nice to see everybody putting up pictures. Lets start shall we.

I think, next, I will be trying these. They are supposed to be much better than the Blizzaks.

YOKOHAMA ICE GUARD IG721
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:28 AM
Account Disabled

its not equally foolish at all to tell someone they are foolish when they talk crap about a product they have no information on.
actually he was not at all just saying his experience with """" tires was great, he was talking crap about another tire without experience or knowledge about them.

just because a product gets more exposure dont make it a better product, it just means more money is backed into it to expose it.
take amsoil vs other oils. Amsoil dont put money into promoting their product, you will not see any comercials for it compared to other oils. Does this mean its less of a product, heck no, and your foolish to think so.

and my last point is this, I have experience with both blizzaks and avalanche and I feel i know which one works better. And also you can put snow studs on the avalanche tires if you want to
and again let me iterate this, I AM IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM AFFILIATED WITH THE COMPANY THAT MAKES/SELLS AVALANCHE TIRES.
i AM ONLY A PROUD OWNER OF THE TIRE and want to inform others of it.

Originally Posted by VtexGt3
lets not get into fights here, saying he is competely ignorant is foolish in it's own right, you push your tires because you are running them and have had good experience, and he is doingthe same. So if he is a fool then you are equally foolish.

If you have nothing useful to say then don't bother posting up a comment just to put someone else down, especially if their input is experience based. As far as the evo community is concerned, the tires you are talking about have had far less exposure and application than blizzaks or even studded ice tires which some of us run for snow rallys or for very very icy mountain areas. Furhtermore, extreme winter use tires are usually defined by tires with full studs, which the previously mentioned tires do not have.

Once again, look through some of the threads discussing the difference factors and characteristics that make a good snow tire, think of what your main applications for the tire are, and then look at your price range, then pick the tire best suited for your needs. Theres no need to jump on a hyped up bandwagon if you don't need to. For most places tires like wintersports are good enough, for heavier snow run blizzaks, they have both been tried and tested over the past few years by people on this very forum and have come back with great results.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Shut the ***** UP!

This thread is not called the ***** thread, where you can ***** and complain about tires. Its about what tires you use and a picture. Show the damn treads on the tires and take your bickering elsewhere.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

those yokohamas look expensive, wait, anything by yokohama is... any info on the pricing? I'm still thinking a set of blizzaks after my wintersports die, but if the yokohamas are a decent price i'd rather try out something new on the market just to see.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 01:52 PM
Account Disabled

ya it seems all decent winter tires are around $800+
I got my blizzaks for $800 (for my DD when its light snow)
I got avalanche for $1100 for when it snows a lot.
whats everyone paying on there choice of winter tires?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure they are no more than $150 a tire.

I'm not 100% though.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires