Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilover time, need help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2008 | 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
RobiSpec
Are these the standard KW he has offered on his site or did you get the track ones..

I wonder if the only difference are the spring rates
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
You have to spend about 1800-1900 for a coilover with GOOD ride quality and a good quality damper. So if you're not tracking the car, you're really spending money you don't need to.

For your uses, Bilstein HD struts/shocks + a good spring like our GTWorx or Swifts should do just fine and come in under 1k.

So I would save up your money for either Bilstein PSS10's when they come out, KW's, or the new ZZyzx Koni EM Sports.....OR just get Bilstein HD's with a good spring and call it a day.

- Andrew
Any info on the new PSS10's that are coming out??? I was planning to buy the PSS9's for the comfort since i live in new york city. Should i save up for the PSS10 which from what i read have higher spring rate???
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah what is the word on the PSS9's? I have a chance to get a set for like $1300 should I get them? I'm on swift springs now. They are ok.
Old Feb 12, 2008 | 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Not much "official" info released yet...just that they will be maybe 100 bucks more then the PSS9's. My guess is that they will be very slightly firmer, which I'm looking forward too. Still not harsh.

- andrew
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gamebred26
Yeah what is the word on the PSS9's? I have a chance to get a set for like $1300 should I get them? I'm on swift springs now. They are ok.
From what i've heard they are the comfiest coilovers for the Evo out right now so if you live in an area with really bad roads definately pick them up.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

but are they too soft?
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 08:54 AM
Former Sponsor

If you're doing track days with 255+ r comp tires, yeah maybe a little soft. Otherwise don't worry about it. Most coilovers are too stiff for street tires.....

Plus Bilsteins can be revalved easily and cheaply.

- Andrew
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Aren't the KW's too harsh for a daily driver? They are stiffer than stock and stock is somewhat brutal.

I've had Megan Racing Streets (which I loved) and I now have tracks which are too stiff for a part time track car. The tracks are coming off next month. I'm considering going with PSS9s but I don't know if they are worth the $$$.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

I will be installing my PIC/Pure TSO's with swift springs this weekend. Will let you know how they ride compared to my current suspension of hotchkis springs on stock shocks.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Aren't the KW's too harsh for a daily driver? They are stiffer than stock and stock is somewhat brutal.

I've had Megan Racing Streets (which I loved) and I now have tracks which are too stiff for a part time track car. The tracks are coming off next month. I'm considering going with PSS9s but I don't know if they are worth the $$$.
There's more to it then just spring rates.....KW's have a ton of travel (compared to some others) to soak up bigger bumps, plus the valving is sophisticated enough to give you good ride quality and good handling.

Still, KW's with jacked up rates aren't gonna be that comfy, but they're not that bad. With "street" rates they are one of the best compromises out there.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Feb 14, 2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

I am unfamiliar with the different versions of KWs. I imagine they are similar to the MR units. What spring rates come with the "street" KWs?

How do they compare performance/price wise to the PSS9s?
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 03:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I am unfamiliar with the different versions of KWs. I imagine they are similar to the MR units. What spring rates come with the "street" KWs?

How do they compare performance/price wise to the PSS9s?
Well there is only one version of the V3's, not counting the Clubsports and Competitions, which are up there and price and not that DD friendly.

The adjustable range in valving is broad enough that it can support a huge range of spring rates. For most of our "street" units we typically do 7k front 8k rear. They are internally the same as all KW V3's though.

PSS9's were a great deal for the money. Amazing ride quality, a bit better then KW's, but they did give up some performance in comparison to KW's. And they adjust compression and rebound with 1 knob, whereas with with KW's you adjust compression and rebound separately, which gives you a LOT of tuning potential. So it's almost not a fair fight unless you do a custom revalve on the Bilsteins and get it right the first time.

- andrew
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

^ Thanks for that I appreciate it.
Old Feb 15, 2008 | 02:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
You have to spend about 1800-1900 for a coilover with GOOD ride quality and a good quality damper. So if you're not tracking the car, you're really spending money you don't need to.

For your uses, Bilstein HD struts/shocks + a good spring like our GTWorx or Swifts should do just fine and come in under 1k.

So I would save up your money for either Bilstein PSS10's when they come out, KW's, or the new ZZyzx Koni EM Sports.....OR just get Bilstein HD's with a good spring and call it a day.

- Andrew
The above is honest wisdom.

If you want a cozy ride and thats about it, you really are talking about spending $1600 for not so much return.

Simple stock dampers with GTWorx or Works Springs may serve you well and leave you with money to spend in areas where you get more real return for less money.

Also, not just pimping them because I am about to get one of the first two sets for the Evo but the new Zzyzx may be an option as you can name your spring rates and be super cozy and still hit VERY close to your price point... just go single adjustable and grab some long soft springs and pimp your way to the next level. You would also have the ability to later turn them into all double adjustable full race coils if you wanted too... this is the genius of Steves new system.
Old Feb 15, 2008 | 02:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gamebred26
but are they too soft?
Define too soft. To some too soft is the sub 100# per inch springs on old GMs that let the car wallow from one turn to another. For other folks it means not being able to keep the car from rolling 2" on Kumho 710s in The Carousel at Mid Ohio.

All suspension is a trade off. Mitsu gave us a very VERY good all around system right out of the box. The cars handle very well with pretty good ride from jump but could be a bit softer. If you want that caddy ride and razors edge handling you are most likely not going to get it. Then again you may be one of those folks who likes the huge bar theory of suspension management as well...

In short, know what you want your car to do, study what is available and what those given systems offer and if you can get your butt in a car as close to yours as possible with as many of the systems you consider before you buy.