Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

brake squeaky-rattle?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
brake squeaky-rattle?

Hi all, my Evo sat for about a month, and when I took it out earlier today there was a noise I can only think to describe as a squeaky-rattle while I was off the brakes. If I even lightly pressed the brake pedal the noise completely went away. After I let off the brakes, then a few seconds would go by and then it would start the squeaky-rattle again.

It is like the mix of the sound of some little nails rattling in a glass jar combined with a faint whee whee noise.

It is only when I am not using the brakes. There is zero squealing or any other unusual noises when I am using the brakes.

I searched, and the closes thing I found was someone saying that there is a clip on the inside of one of the front brakes that rattles when the brakes are worn out. However, in my experience with other cars the brake wear noises are always when you are applying the brakes. Is this rattle really the brake wear indicator?

I only have 8,000 miles on the car, and I did a little peak with a flashlight and it looks like there is plenty of pad visible still sticking out.

Any ideas?

Note: I did search, but all I found was threads on dash rattles and squeaks when applying the brakes.

TIA