Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need more rear toe adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need more rear toe adjustment?

Anyone have any ideas on how to get more rear toe adjustment on an Evo VIII? I have only seen one vendor who sells adjustable links (Nagisa Auto Pillow Adjustable Toe Control Rod) for the rear toe and they are rather expensive.

My car is plagued by a LR that can barely get within alighnment spec. I have lots of room for adjustment on the RR, but can't say the same for the other side. Basically, to get near zero toe the max negative camber I can run is something like .4 if I want both sides to be equal do to the limitations of the toe setting on the LR. The toe bar is maxxed out at full extension.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Agency Power makes adjustable rear arms as well - I have no experience with these, just throwing them out there though.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

I think that Agency Power only makes an adjustable camber link. I do not believe that this would help me out in this situation. To my knowledge (I could be wrong) if I were to add more negative camber via extending the camber link I would add more negative toe as well.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
If you have a good alignment tech, or can do the work yourself, take the toe links out and elongate the slots for the toe links. I had similar problems with mine on the LR and explored a few options but ultimately this was the quickest and cheapest.

I have had a fairly even split between cars that had toe problems on the left and right (but never both) as well as one that had issues getting as negative camber as possible. The rear suspension quality control of our cars apparently leaves something to be desired.

JB
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Can you elaborate alittle more on how elongating the holes on the toe links will help? I do remember now reading a post by you on the same subject.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

yes that is what u need to do, elongate the ecentric space. i had to do this on my car on the alignment rack at my work due to maxing out the stock adjustments that they let u make. i wish i took a few pics of this becuase it seems a few ppl have asked the same question. i did one side at a time, remove the ecentric bolt that u turn to adjust the toe and get in there with a dremel or a metal bit on a 90 degree die grinder. ur going to want to shave off some of that metal in the hole to make the hole larger, focus especially on the side facing the middle of the car cause this is the space i needed. don't worry about taking to much off, there is plenty there. once done put back in ur ecentric and adjust so its in spec. now since there is extra room in there for that to move around and bouce out of alignment make SURE u tighten down ur bolts as tight as u can posibly get them so u don't loose ur perfect aligment... good luck. made my car drive way better and saves tires

Last edited by EatSleepBoost; Feb 19, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Cool thanks for the explaining. Now I just have to find a compitent alighnment tech around the DC area. I would do this myself except I would hate to do it then take it to get alighned and find out I took too much off or not enough.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

yes, this job is better done right while it is on the alignment rack. just go to a few places and explain ur situation and make sure they agree to perform the procedure before they pull ur car in.