Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear strut clunk when going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear strut clunk when going over bumps

I have the Megan Street coilovers. Installed them about 5 months ago.

For the first week they didn't make any noise but after a while of breaking them in I guess, the rear passenger side started making clunking noises everytime I went over a bump and I really can't take it anymore.

Now just an hour ago I took the trunk lining out and checked the bolts on the inside, both bolts were tight. Jacked the car up and took the wheel off. I grabbed the spring with my hand and started pushing it back and forth and noticed that it made a little noise but not that same noise I was hearing while driving.

I tightened it up (moved the ring that sits at the bottom of the spring up a couple mm) just a hair and it seemed quieter when I tried moving it, however when I took it out it actually seemed worse. I was going to take the wheel off and put it back to where it was but I figured I'd come on here and ask you guys first.

So before I try more trial and error and mess with something that I don't want to change any ideas as to what could be causing this clunk? No sense changing something that won't effect the clunk.

Happens at both high and low speeds, just can't hear it that much at high speeds.

Also if your going to be childish and post comments like "thats what you get for buying cheap coilovers" or something along those lines then please don't even bother posting.

-thanks

Last edited by damstr; Feb 19, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my Tein SS coilovers....very similar sounding noise to yours when going over a bump or uneven pavement under slower speeds.... Just started happening too. I plan on looking at the bolts this weekend...I won't be driving much at all this week so i can wait.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it could be spring binding (unlikely in the rear), or it could be a bad or loose sway bar end link?

maybe try tightening down your rear sway end links and see if that helps?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:52 PM

Same problem Same Coilover

I have the Megan Coilovers on my car too. Both my rears make a jiggle clunking sound, Like my shocks are loose or bad. I checked all the bolts and still nothing. I did notice though when i pull my e brake i get similar sound when i let go of the brakes and the e brake is the only thing holding my car in one place. bushing is bad and metal to metal connection. Going to put it onto a hoist and tighten up my sway bar links!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

I'll try that tightening the sway bar end link and see what happens.

Thanks guys
Old Feb 19, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Found this on another forum. They are talking about Megan coilovers.

...The only problem is the back strut top mount ball joint is metal to metal and it make a clunking sound @ low speed after awhile. Other than that it all good.
I'm not sure exactly what he's talking about, does it make sense to anyone? If so could it possibly be the cause of the clunking? Sure sounds exactly like what I was talking about.

Also the next post was from another person.

I bought my MR coilovers from someone that included some isolation pads for the rear. That should help with the noise.
Is he talking about where the top of the strut mount meets the car?

EDIT: Found this on a Subaru forum, but there still taking about the Megan coilovers.

you need to make sure the upper nut on the strut is very tight and then make sure you locktite the height-adjustment collars to make sure they don't come loose, if they do the coilover starts to "clunk" because of the free-play it might get. Just make sure everything is nice and tight
Now I remember hearing something about this a while ago but I forgot to check when I had the lining out today. Isn't there an allen wrench nut underneath the adjustment nob?

Last edited by damstr; Feb 19, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Alright well I just called Megan Racing and they told me it was the pillow ball bearing. He said they have some play in them.

I asked if there was something I could do to stop the clunking, told me that if I bought them from an authorized dealer and they sent over a proof of purchase with my name and everything they would go from there.

He said the only way to fix it is to replace the coilover. If they do a swap I'm going to have both rears replaced as I'm not 100% sure if its just one making the noise.

Also I'm going to take adjustment nob off and try tightening the nut and see if that stops the noise.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep us posted on this, I've wondered about this clunking issue... was considering the Megan Streets, but not sure if I want to get into a situation like this.... did they mention anything about a fix making them not do this again to you, or did you get the idea that they were just going to swap them out for you to have the same issue in another few months?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Liqquid
Keep us posted on this, I've wondered about this clunking issue... was considering the Megan Streets, but not sure if I want to get into a situation like this.... did they mention anything about a fix making them not do this again to you, or did you get the idea that they were just going to swap them out for you to have the same issue in another few months?
I don't think its just the Megans. My buddy has a set of KW's and they both clunk in the rear, but only in sharp turns.

He didn't mention anything about fixing them to me but I will ask when I get all the info sent over to him to show proof of purchase was less then a year ago.

I definitely don't want this happening again because its pretty annoying.

I'll keep you guys posted. I'm going to try one other thing before I have them send out some new ones.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

just installed MR coils earlier today. The rear passenger side had that loud clunking noise. I opened the trunk and inspected that side. The top 17MM bolt was very loose so I tightened it. Well even if tightened, the 17mm bolt will keep on spinning anyway. I did it to the driverside just to make sure it wasnt loose.

It stopped the loud clunking but I can still hear a little bit of clunk (minimal) while driving around the neighborhoods.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Alright well I took the adjustment nob off the top of the coilover and tightened that all down, wasn't loose at all but I still tightened it to see if it made a difference, and of course the clunk was still there.

Took both rear wheels off and looked at the end links (I think thats what you call them) and they were all tighted. Everything else was tight.

With the trunk open and the liner still off, I bouced the rear of the car up and down and I heard the faint noise. Now I really can't be sure what side its coming from which leads me to believe that its coming from both sides or it could be somewhere in the middle but I'll get to that later.

I also don't think Its coming from the top of the coilovers. So I got underneath the car and pushed up on it and since doing this is really hard, I barely heard the noise. But from what I did hear it sound like it wasn't really coming from the coilovers at all, but more so from around the rear diff area, but not really. Its hard to explain.

This weekend I'm going to have someone bouce on the back of the car will I move around to various spots and listen and hopefully track down this PITA of a noise.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

I just rememberd that its better to have the allen wrench inside the adjustment hole. That way when you tighten the 17mm bolt on the coilover, it wont move and it will be secure tight.

I am gonna do that this weekend once it stop raining over here.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 02:50 AM
Evolving Member

I am having exactly same problems as OP described with my Ohlins coilovers. I checked to make sure that everything is tight and in place when I got the car aligned and cornerweighted a few days ago... Not sure what the root of problem is with aftermarket coilovers making these clunking noises from the rear end, but I just hope that it's not affecting the performance to say the least.

To the OP, please update us with your findings. Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Megan Track and I get the same noise from my rear pasenger side. Everything is tight and no problems other than the noise.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Positron
I just rememberd that its better to have the allen wrench inside the adjustment hole. That way when you tighten the 17mm bolt on the coilover, it wont move and it will be secure tight.

I am gonna do that this weekend once it stop raining over here.
I did that yesterday and it seemed pretty tight although I didn't crank on it too hard because I didn't want to break anything.

Quick Reply: Rear strut clunk when going over bumps