Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

clunking noise and it's not a blown strut.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunking noise and it's not a blown strut.

When I go over a bump, my front passenger side strut makes a clunking noise. I checked to see if it was blown and it's tight as hell... def not a blown strut. The performance is DRASTICALLY affected by this. When I push down on that fender you can hear a slight clunking noise. It also affects highway driving, it seems as if the wheels just wants to follow the bump in the road.

Bad or loose strut seat?? does that sound right?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I would physically take the damper out of the car and inspect it that way. Make sure to check you ball joints and tie rod ends for excessive play.

Wasnt you car in a wreck. Maybe something isnt tight or installed properly
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

check the strut mount bearing, it could possibly be the culprit? I had a clunking issue that was related to this but it didn't effect how the car handled on the road - it would just make a pop/clunk noise over bumps and stuff but other than that the car handled normal...

Def. check it though - doesn't hurt to rule parts out as your trying to diagnose the problem.

Last edited by travman; Feb 26, 2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I would physically take the damper out of the car and inspect it that way. Make sure to check you ball joints and tie rod ends for excessive play.

Wasnt you car in a wreck. Maybe something isnt tight or installed properly
yea but it ws the completly opposite side and it was nothing but cosmetic other then the intercooler. I drive the car daily and i actually started to notice it happening on a freeeeeeeezing cold day. the next day it was kinda warm and the clunking increased and hasnt gone away. Im thinking maybe its something that got loosened due to the weather.

I've tested the handeling out a few times by jolting the car from left to right and rolling then right to left and it's almost as if the car's reaction just slowed down. Maybe the strut itself is loose but I think the clunking would be WAY more dramatic.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman
check the strut mount bearing, it could possibly be the culprit? I had a clunking issue that was related to this but it didn't effect how the car handled on the road - it would just make a pop/clunk noise over bumps and stuff but other than that the car handled normal...

Def. check it though - doesn't hurt to rule parts out as your trying to diagnose the problem.
I dropped the car off at a shop today Id much rather do it myself. I've been trying to find the time to take the car apart to see what's wrong but between homework and school and working I have noooo time. I was going to wait until spring break but even then work gets in the way haha (im way to busy all the time haha)

Hopefully he knows what to look out for. Was this issue something you needed replaced? or something that could be fixed...
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

If the bearing is bad it just needs replaced.....
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman
If the bearing is bad it just needs replaced.....
alright sweet.. thanks! I'll swing down and let him know about the bearing and have him check it out.

I hope he knows what he's looking for...

another question.. anyone ever have issues with their windows? haha mine just fell the other day and won't go back up haha that's the main reason its at the shop.