Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

MR Lowering Springs (Expert Opinions Please)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR Lowering Springs (Expert Opinions Please)

WORKS vs Swift vs Espelir GT vs GTWORX

Opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions?

My main goal is to reduce body roll, especially since I will be running R-Compound tires this season. I've heard body roll is AMPLIFIED with the additional traction. I've already installed an RRE/Progress adjustable sway bar, but feel there is still a significant amount of body roll that I'd like to get rid of.

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interestingly enough, body roll is also increased by lowering the car. This will be offset by somewhat higher spring rates, but not that much higher. R-compounds will overpower any suspension based on the stock struts. If you're going with springs, I would get a set of camber plates to run ridiculous camber, throw the biggest swaybars under the car that you can get, and just let the outside tire do all the turning. The Whiteline roll center correction kit can help too.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We have a guy in Michigan running GTWorx springs, front and rear Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline roll center kit, Whiteline bumpsteer kit, and a few other parts. He tracks his car a lot and has been very pleased with the results.

I could see where he is in MI and see if he's up for giving you a test ride if you're interested?

Yes, excessive lowering will amplify roll, which is partially why we go with a mild drop on our springs. There is always a trade off with roll center location and center of gravity. Anyway if the spring rates are up to it, AND there is sufficient travel left in the damper, you will see a net improvement.

How wide are your R-comps?

- Andrew
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor

swift are definitely a proven spring
Old Feb 26, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
How wide are your R-comps?
I will be running 255/40R17 Kumho V700 VictoRacers

How much negative camber can I obtain on the stock suspension without the use of crash bolts?

Camber plates might be on 2009's menu, the "Boss" is cutting me off!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

i have the works springs and love them.

they have improved the car alot for autocross and time trials. still, the springs are only temporary, until i get the money for ohlins i want.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:47 AM
Former Sponsor

The springs to look at for track/street application are Robi's, Works, Swift Spec R's, GT Works . You have 2 options, track / street use: heavy spring with medium to soft range anti roll bar or street / track use: medium spring rate with heavy to medium range anti roll bars with front bump rubber spacers and rear travel limiting straps. Since you have the MR struts and the rear bar you are off to a good start. For the others readind don't forget a quality strut Bilstein HD, or Works/Ohliens or if you really want to go overkill for the SCCA Pro Solo call ANZE Engineering they offers a strut with stock style adjustable spring mounts and Penske internals they are legal in SCCA they can be built as a single, double or triple adjustable. For a standard strut track setup give ROBISPEC, Robert Fuller a call he has quality parts and will help you with your track setup. Hope this helps. Indy
Attached Thumbnails MR Lowering Springs (Expert Opinions Please)-20-035.jpg   MR Lowering Springs (Expert Opinions Please)-20-038.jpg   MR Lowering Springs (Expert Opinions Please)-20-046.jpg  

Last edited by Indy Evo; Feb 27, 2008 at 04:54 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
... the springs are only temporary, until i get the money for ohlins i want.
This is my EXACT thought... Some springs to hold me off until I can convince "the boss" that I need a full set of coilovers.

Indy, Thanks for your input, I am definitely looking to get a spring geared towards the track.