Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Question about Auto-X'ing w/ Hoosier R6's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Auto-X'ing w/ Hoosier R6's

I was lucky enough to get a set of Hoosier R6's for free that have only had a few laps @ Laguna Seca on them. I know the R6 is intended to be used for road racing and that the A6 is the auto-x designated tire. I was wondering if the R6's would be worth using at the auto-x, or will it take too much time to get them heated up? They were off of the front of an M3 race car, size is 245/40/18. Same size as the Azenis that I currently have on my 18x8.5's. I have auto-x'd with the BMW Club but never with the SCCA, does the SCCA allow first timers to run R-compound tires? Sorry for asking so many questions, thanks guys.

David
Old Feb 29, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you can run them. They won't be as fast at the A6, but they'll still beat any street tire out there.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, they'll be pretty fast, but that also is quite a waste, because they are so valuable and will wear out quickly. They could be awesome track tires if you could use them on the track.

You said they were off the FRONT of an M3? So it was a set of 4 for the front, not a set of 2, yah?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I have two sets of the fronts. I know they are suppose to wear very quickly especially since the treadwear rating is 40, but I have heard from a few people that they actually last for a few events. So Warrtalon, you think that they will wear out faster @ the auto-x than if I take them to the track? Thanks for the input.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

the scca will defintely let you run them, but depending on your mods you may get bumped into a very competitive class just because of your tires.

you may be able to run those in A stock if you don't have any other parts that would require you to be in a high class.

i am planning on using R Comps this season as well. now, my car is not an a stock car. due to my exhaust, tune, springs, and rear sway bar, i have been running in STU. with the addition of the R comps, obviously i won't be able to compete in a street tire class, so i will be going to BSP.

i am thouroghly unprepared to be cometitive in that class, but i run for the fun of it, so it doesn't really bother me if i am not winning the class.

those are all things you have to consider. what other types of mods do you have? do you know what scca class you will be in?

either way, i think you will have fun racing. the scca is a good organization
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

I just have the usual stg 1 power mods: full tbe, drop in, induction cover, fuel pump, and tune. No suspension mods except 18x8.5's that I will be using and the slicks. I have no idea what class they will put me in. I don't care about being competitive as I am still trying to learn how to get faster.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

due to the exhaust and tire size, i believe you would be in STU without the slicks. with the slicks, you should be in BSP i believe. (don't quote on me this though because i believe a few rules have changed for the 2008 season)

usually you can ask at the timing trailer the day of the event to confirm, but there is also a breakdown of classes on SCCA.com

i would say, unless you have other plans for the slicks, use them, hell it will be fun, and you can't beat free tires.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless youre very competitive with autox, I would save them for something a little more exciting...
Old Feb 29, 2008, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

You'll be in BSP due to the tires, and it would be much better to just run STU on street tires.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I think I might just run what's left of my stock Advans into the ground before I use the Hoosiers. I'll just save the slicks for Streets of Willow or something I guess.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Smart move, because you'll be more competitive in STU, and the Advans are one of the best tires you can use in STU.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Well I'm stoked. STU here I come!
Old Mar 3, 2008, 07:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 to all the above. can be done and you'll get by, but just not specifically tuned for that application.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo IX MR
Well I'm stoked. STU here I come!

Just as a warning. STU doesn't allow any boost changes. So your tune better be fuel and timing only with the boost tables set to stock. otherwise it's BSP time.