Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

need pads and rotors but....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need pads and rotors but....

Id like to avoid buying the rotors.

my rotors are slightly damaged because my pads JUST ran out a couple days ago and I havnt had the time to grab new ones.

My question is, If I buy new pads, could it even out the surface of the rotors with over time? Is there a pad hard enought to do that? I know I might ruin the pads but like I said.. I dont want to spend money on new rotors. my car only has 38k miles on it.

Also, does anyone find it odd that i need new brakes at 38k? its a 2003 and it ONLY sees highway and i never use the brakes even when im getting off the highway. I alwayyyyysss brake with the engine. (I dont like to waste brake pad if i dont need to) I also havnt done any racing yet.

thanks
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

bump for a pretty simple question...
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Um what do you mean ran out? You drove the car past the sqeaking to you got metal on metal?

Really hard to tell how damaged slightly is. Take it to a shop - if they have to be turned (and have enough thickness to be turned) then you might have to. But again - cant tell with info given. Rule of thumb is that if you do not have to turn them - dont.

And yes - 38k on stock pads is pretty good. I tend to kill rotors faster but that is more from my driving/racing.

I picked up some RotorPro rotors for all 4 corners after seeing them first hand at my brothers (for his C5 swapped Z28). Liked them enough to get them for my car - and they are cheap.

Last edited by Smike; Mar 10, 2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

if the rotors still look good then just change out the pads. unless you wanna buy a new one for cheap, there's a factory in lowell, mass that makes em. they supply the oem brembo for less then $300 buck for all four. pm me for more info. if interested
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Um what do you mean ran out? You drove the car past the sqeaking to you got metal on metal?

Really hard to tell how damaged slightly is. Take it to a shop - if they have to be turned (and have enough thickness to be turned) then you might have to. But again - cant tell with info given.

And yes - 38k on stock pads is pretty good. I tend to kill rotors faster but that is more from my driving/racing.

I picked up some RotorPro rotors for all 4 corners after seeing them first hand at my brothers (for his C5 swapped Z28). Liked them enough to get them for my car - and they are cheap.
I honestly have no idea how I didn't notice. I didn't have any squeaking what so ever. It just went from pad to nothing. The thickness should be fine. Theres just a few gash marks around the rotor from the metal. I really hardly use my brakes so I guess I did a good job with them haha
Old Mar 11, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by j14mp
I honestly have no idea how I didn't notice. I didn't have any squeaking what so ever. It just went from pad to nothing. The thickness should be fine. Theres just a few gash marks around the rotor from the metal. I really hardly use my brakes so I guess I did a good job with them haha
Sounds like an Evo there.

If the marks are not that deep then a good set of pads should clear that up without issue. But no way to really tell with out seeing it or having it looked at. The DS2500 pads or Hawk HPS pads are rotor friendly and have bite. The 2500s have more initial bite.

Do you have a picture? How does the rotor feel by touch - just marks or is the rotor chewed up some?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like an Evo there.

If the marks are not that deep then a good set of pads should clear that up without issue. But no way to really tell with out seeing it or having it looked at. The DS2500 pads or Hawk HPS pads are rotor friendly and have bite. The 2500s have more initial bite.

Do you have a picture? How does the rotor feel by touch - just marks or is the rotor chewed up some?
nope no picture.. i cant find my usb cable haha

its small little streaks around the outside of the rotor.. they somewhat indent but its not toooo tooo major.

do you reccomend those pads would help fix it? thanks
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Without seeing the rotors to inspect damage it's hard to say but I'd be willing to wager you did little to nothing. Just get the rotors turned for a few bucks and call it good.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

A good shop guy can look at it and in 2 sec. tell you if he would turn them or not.

I recommend those pads over the OE pads any day. And it sounds like you just street drive here - so you dont need anything too crazy.

The Ferodo DS2500s if you like a high initial bite. So basically if you touch the brakes they really grap.

The Hawk HPS if you want some more modulation. But good overall feeling.

I have also run the Satisfied GS5 and GS6 pads - both are nice. Good bite and great street pads.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:05 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^What he said! Get the rotors cut, and new pads put in.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

A good shop guy can look at it and in 2 sec. tell you if he would turn them or not.

I recommend those pads over the OE pads any day. And it sounds like you just street drive here - so you dont need anything too crazy.

The Ferodo DS2500s if you like a high initial bite. So basically if you touch the brakes they really grap.

The Hawk HPS if you want some more modulation. But good overall feeling.

I have also run the Satisfied GS5 and GS6 pads - both are nice. Good bite and great street pads.
I actually daily drive my car but will be hitting a few track days this year and ill probably be at the drag strip a couple times a week (I get bored easily and highway racing isnt my cup of tea haha) neither is drag but eh its racing lol

I need something I can use everyday and still be able to use aggressively. I didn't get to use my evo yet for anything involving the track due to my lisence being taken away last summer

thanks for the advice damn Im learning a lot of good stuff latly haha a year and a few months on this forum and I never asked these things sooner lol
Old Mar 11, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

The DS2500s can be used for *light* track duty but I know of some local guys
here that have melted off a full set in one days worth of HPDE.

The HPS - my old instrutor used them on his car but I wouldnt. The HP+ are
more for light track days. But there again not a full track day pad.

Either can handle road and drag driving though.

Check out the motorsports section - some good threads on track pads there. I
like the HT10 for tracking. But everyone has a pref.

Old Mar 11, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

The DS2500s can be used for *light* track duty but I know of some local guys
here that have melted off a full set in one days worth of HPDE.

The HPS - my old instrutor used them on his car but I wouldnt. The HP+ are
more for light track days. But there again not a full track day pad.

Either can handle road and drag driving though.

Check out the motorsports section - some good threads on track pads there. I
like the HT10 for tracking. But everyone has a pref.

alright cool thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Anytime!