Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Dunlop Direzza Z1 vs. Advans A-046 (stock tire)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you guys seriously saying that any of these extreme performance tires are "good" in the rain??? Come on, now, the tests you're talking about aren't comparing Z1s to all-season tires...they are comparing them to OTHER extreme performance tires. That's just nuts to jump on me about Z1s being some incredible rain tire when all I said was "neither of these tires is good in the rain."

People don't buy A046s, because they are ridiculously expensive for the performance relative to other tires in its class. Basically, they're not worth buying over another tire like the RE-01R or Z1, but when you already have a set, then they sure as hell should be used.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just in case anyone wants the link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=100

The Dunlops do seem to perform extremely well in the rain compared to other extreme performance summer tires.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 08:09 AM

Does anyone know of a place that has the Z1's in stock?

I've been trying to order a set for two weeks, but everywhere is sold out. Soonest ETA I've heard is March 21st at the Tire Rack, but I'm impatient... driving in the rain on bald A046's sucks.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally working in a tire shop, I have had many evo and sti owners come in just to buy the Dunlops. It has been over two years and none have ever complained about them. People frequently come in and compliment on how much they like them. We have our business to many performance cars who just quickly get the tires switched our for winter and get them switched back for the summertime. I say go with the Dunlops.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 09:44 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The stock A046 are okay in the rain. It will not slide unless you drive excessively fast for the conditions. It is a lot better than the Bridgestone RE011 found in some cars. In deep standing water, then of course if its too fast you will hydroplane. If you have a good enough thread left, it will channel water well.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i really don't like the advans in the rain. i opted for more of a rain tire.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Are you guys seriously saying that any of these extreme performance tires are "good" in the rain??? Come on, now, the tests you're talking about aren't comparing Z1s to all-season tires...they are comparing them to OTHER extreme performance tires. That's just nuts to jump on me about Z1s being some incredible rain tire when all I said was "neither of these tires is good in the rain."

People don't buy A046s, because they are ridiculously expensive for the performance relative to other tires in its class. Basically, they're not worth buying over another tire like the RE-01R or Z1, but when you already have a set, then they sure as hell should be used.
I have yet to use them, so Im just regurgitating what Ive read a bout their performance.

+1 use the advans, theyre a great tire, and if you have them already...
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't tried the Z1 but I've been on this forum long enough to know that until this year nothing short of an actual R-compound has come close to matching the AO46.

I would definately use the advans before purchasing new tires.

If you are into high speed stuff the lower gearing of the 245/40 will probably make you enter 5th gear.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I haven't tried the Z1 but I've been on this forum long enough to know that until this year nothing short of an actual R-compound has come close to matching the AO46.

I would definately use the advans before purchasing new tires.

If you are into high speed stuff the lower gearing of the 245/40 will probably make you enter 5th gear.
And you must be one of the infamous A046 nut riders! its a great tire. but its by far not the best, and that is acknowledged by vendors such as tire rack.

Last edited by RaNGVR-4; Mar 12, 2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Not a nut hugger but I know a good tire when I drive one. I run NT01s which were the first tire I've driven that felt better than the advan.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon

Well in all actuality why would you compare them to all seasons? Obviously comparing extreme performance tires here...not all seasons. The Z1 infact are damn good in the rain. Really the only other performance tire that might come be better in the rain is the RE050 which is the BEST rain tire you can buy. Btw I own new bridgestone all seasons for my DD and RE01R's on my evo and my evo does just is good in the rain. I can safely drive 70+mph in the rain (Seattle area too...not many other places get more rain.) About the only thing all seasons are good for is snow on an evo...

I do agree though if the OP has Advans laying around just run those. They definately aren't as good in the rain but they will suffice. Under 4/32nds though and I would be alot more careful. 3/32nds is where a tire does not have enough tread to sufficiently evacuate water (works damn good on the track though). Being as the Advan was never really good at is anyways I wouldnt drive fast on them when they get low on tread.

Last edited by dbsears; Mar 12, 2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

i live in south georgia where it rains very once in awhile and when it rains it rains lol. sometimes the streets cant handle the amount. i dont know if i would want to be worring about driving with the advans and wondering if i have enough thread. if i can sell them i will and just purchase the Z1's.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

For those who want to know, in stock size, I spoke with a Goodyear rep regarding the Dunlop Direzza Z1's. They told me that they are not manufacturing any more until May. So whatever vendor's have now, is all they're gonna have until May. I'm not exactly sure if this is 100% accurate, but I did speak directly with the manufacturer and that's what I was told.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
For those who want to know, in stock size, I spoke with a Goodyear rep regarding the Dunlop Direzza Z1's. They told me that they are not manufacturing any more until May. So whatever vendor's have now, is all they're gonna have until May. I'm not exactly sure if this is 100% accurate, but I did speak directly with the manufacturer and that's what I was told.
They are already manufacturing the new ones. They updated the compound to the Z1*. they will be available april-may, possibly earlier
Old Mar 13, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

i might have to look into this

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza Z1 vs. Advans A-046 (stock tire)