Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Dunlop Direzza Z1 vs. Advans A-046 (stock tire)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dunlop Direzza Z1 vs. Advans A-046 (stock tire)

hey guys i have been searching around but i cant find a clear answer. i have a set of stock advans 99% new. i'm gonna be going back down to 17's so i've been wondering if i should just use the advans or go with the direzza's 245/40/17. i have heard good things about the direzza's but i havent heard much in the wet department. i want a tire with great grip on dry and good grip on wet as well. descent treadwear is a factor also. i know that the advans are a great tires but i would like something that might last a bit more since it's my DD now.

i would like to know from people who have or have ran the direzza's in the rain. i would like to know how they compare to the stock tires. keep in mind i got my car with the toyos on it and i have no experience with the advans. any info is appreciated.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Advans are superior in performance, but neither of those tires is good in the rain.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Mar 12, 2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got the dunlops and can't complain.I don't have any track time with either but just from street driving the dunlops handle almost as well as the advans.The tread wear on the dunlops is slightly higher.200 vs 160 on the advans.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's no way I'd buy new tires when you've got a perfect set of R compound tires laying arround. The stock Advans are hard to beat & not worth spending more money for something diffrent.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The Advans are superior in performance, but neither of those tires are good in the rain.
Really considering the Z1 was ranked better in the rain than the RE01R. Also wasn't the RE01R about the best extreme performance tire in the rain right next to the AD07? Also how is it the Advan in superior to the dunlops? I see a hell of alot more guys AutoX on Dunlops than the stockers. I can say my RE01R's were just as quick or quicker than the Advans and the Z'1 have been proven to be quicker than the 01R's....Seems to me like you dont like any of these tires?

Last edited by dbsears; Mar 11, 2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

how do the advans perform in the rain. does it hydroplane?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Not if you keep it under about 70 or so.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shunderwunder
There's no way I'd buy new tires when you've got a perfect set of R compound tires laying arround.
The Advans are not R compounds.

Originally Posted by dbsears87
Really considering the Z1 was ranked better in the rain than the RE01R. Also wasn't the RE01R about the best extreme performance tire in the rain right next to the AD07? Also how is it the Advan in superior to the dunlops? I see a hell of alot more guys AutoX on Dunlops than the stockers. I can say my RE01R's were just as quick or quicker than the Advans and the Z'1 have been proven to be quicker than the 01R's....Seems to me like you dont like any of these tires?
The AD-07 is not the stock tire, the A046 is. I think they have the same tread compound and carcass construction, but the AD-07 has much larger tread blocks and less void area. Its faster than the A046. The coin is still in the air with the RE-01R's and the Z1's; they're close, but until someone gets enough runs on a set of Z1's to get into their prime, we won't know which one is ultimately faster. My guess is that they're so close there will never be a definitive answer.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
The Advans are not R compounds.

The AD-07 is not the stock tire, the A046 is. I think they have the same tread compound and carcass construction, but the AD-07 has much larger tread blocks and less void area. Its faster than the A046. The coin is still in the air with the RE-01R's and the Z1's; they're close, but until someone gets enough runs on a set of Z1's to get into their prime, we won't know which one is ultimately faster. My guess is that they're so close there will never be a definitive answer.
Trust me I know the AD07 is not the stock tire (I never said they were) My point was the AD07 and RE01R were two of the best ranked extreme performance tires that did exceptional in the rain and the Dunlop has been proven to be better in the rain than both those. I live in the Seattle area and run the RE01R and it is 2 fold over anything the stock Advan could ever do...80mph in standing water on freeday...not a problem. Now the Z1 has been rated better in rain by tirerack and 1 or 2 megazines. I was just questioning why Warrtalon said they both suck in the rain and the Advan is a better tire because that is completely false.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears87
Trust me I know the AD07 is not the stock tire (I never said they were) My point was the AD07 and RE01R were two of the best ranked extreme performance tires that did exceptional in the rain and the Dunlop has been proven to be better in the rain than both those. I live in the Seattle area and run the RE01R and it is 2 fold over anything the stock Advan could ever do...80mph in standing water on freeday...not a problem. Now the Z1 has been rated better in rain by tirerack and 1 or 2 megazines. I was just questioning why Warrtalon said they both suck in the rain and the Advan is a better tire because that is completely false.
No offense to Warrtalon, but someone with his amount of posts shouldn't be misinforming people when their are tests out their that say other wise.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Most of the auto-x guys are expecting the direzza to be THE rain tire this year at nats...
Old Mar 11, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, I read it like you were referring to the AD-07s as the stock tire.

As far as what Warrtalon said, I have no data on the A046s vs the RE-01R's from an ultimate performance limit standpoint. No one runs the A046 that I know of. However, "good in the rain" is definitely a very vague term. When most people say "good in the rain" they mean hydroplaning resistance. Any summer performance tire will fail miserably there compared to something like an Aquatred. As far as traction on wet pavement, Tire Rack seems to like the Dunlop, but the other two aren't far behind.

From the OP's context, I think "good in the rain" means hydroplaning resistance. It doesn't sound like he'll be making the trip to Topeka this year.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
Sorry, I read it like you were referring to the AD-07s as the stock tire.

As far as what Warrtalon said, I have no data on the A046s vs the RE-01R's from an ultimate performance limit standpoint. No one runs the A046 that I know of. However, "good in the rain" is definitely a very vague term. When most people say "good in the rain" they mean hydroplaning resistance. Any summer performance tire will fail miserably there compared to something like an Aquatred. As far as traction on wet pavement, Tire Rack seems to like the Dunlop, but the other two aren't far behind.

From the OP's context, I think "good in the rain" means hydroplaning resistance. It doesn't sound like he'll be making the trip to Topeka this year.

hydroplaning is a concern. i dont plan on doing major race events or anything yet. but i do live in south georgia where it can rain whenever it wants to and when it does it's a down pour. i know everyone is going to have their different views/opinions and i'm leaning toward the direzzas.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

If you have the A046's just laying around, use them. They're free. It's not like they're unsafe or anything. And all the tires mentioned in this thread are great street tires. The differences we're debating add up to 0.1 seconds on a minute-long autocross course.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The Advans are superior in performance, but neither of those tires are good in the rain.
have u driven in rain with them?

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza Z1 vs. Advans A-046 (stock tire)