Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ok with all the talk about the Z1's vs the RE-01R's.... *I hope this helps some*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Ok with all the talk about the Z1's vs the RE-01R's.... *I hope this helps some*

I thought I'd post our test results on them. They were tested on or 3-series BMW test cars on the track and city streets last August. Test consisted of the Z1's, RE's, Yoko AD07, and BFG KD.

The overall rating was given to the B-Stone, but look at the individual test results. If you take a look at the results they are stronger for the B-Stone in the road testing *similar to what you would be doing day to day driving*, but the Z1 was better in the extreme condition track testing *similar to your local weekend auto-x conditions*. The results are so similar that any one of the two would be more than enough for either condition and certainly can handle anything you'll be doing on the street.

Where I see the Z1 being a tad better is for the weekend auto-x'er who drives their car with those tires on it every day but needs that tad extra for weekend racing. Otherwise, I would recommend using the B-Stone. Again, not to say the B-Stone isn't an awesome tire, but it seems with all the threads going on there's been difficulty in trying to find the line between that little extra each tire gives.

I commute 70 miles a day on the toll road with some curvy country roads here and there. I don't auto-x but do take my cars once or twice to Gingerman Raceway in Michigan. So, 95% of what I do is between 70-90mph ( ) on the tool road with two days a year at the track. If I was looking for an extreme perf tire the B-Stone would be a great tire for me. If I lived a little closer to work and didn't might trading some more noise or stiffer ride for a bit better response during my twice a month weekend auto-x events then I'd do the Z1's.

I hope this helps. Its splitting hairs for 80% of the people buying them, but for that 20% that relies on that split hair for those extra tenths of a second in competition, I'd look to the Z1.

Since the oe EVO Yoko is specifically designed for the EVO and is really a one of one tire, we don't test it against our normal line-up. However, from what I've heard, these two tires do rank higher across the board than it.

Overall Test Results

Individual Test Results

Last edited by Neal@tirerack; Mar 12, 2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very very interesting post Thanks for those results Neal! I'm a tire noob but this sure helps with my choice of tire that I would want to pick up.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I know what my next tire is going to be. For 255/40-17 @ $150/each, good price too! Neal.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What surprises me is that the KD scores so high on the dry tests. I'm assuming these are full-tread depth, brand-new tires.

From what I read, the AD-07's and RE-01R's reach their peak performance when they're shaved to around 3 or 4/32nds, then run through about 30 autocross runs. I'd love to see you guys run a test on these tires prepped that way.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

i love these tests.... I wish the new hankooks were in on this test too though.

For us track guys its note worthy to say that the BFG's actually do very well on dry track in this test, if you skip comfort & wet stuff they would've been competitive in this test but it looks like the advans are still the tire to beat in dry performance.

Neil, do you know what the weight of the BMW test vehicle is? stock?

n
Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nils

Neil, do you know what the weight of the BMW test vehicle is? stock?
Honestly not sure, but I bet it can be found online. We use 2006 BMW 325i E90 sport sedans for testing.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank you for posting these results. This is why I support Tire Rack.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:47 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wow impressive numbers for the neova ad07!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Thank you for posting these results. This is why I support Tire Rack.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

*Update*

Just got word that Dunlop is discontinuing the Z1 in the oe EVO sizes, and many others for that matter. They are replacing it with the Z1 Star and I'm not sure if we will be receiving any of the older version in stock. However, we do have an eta of late this month for the new version to arrive. This is what I've been told about the new version so far....

Dunlop has just announced there will be an enhanced version of the original Direzza Sport Z1, called Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec.

The primary enhancement in the Star Spec version is the tread compound, which comes up to operating temperature faster than the original while retaining the same ultimate performance levels. The current information is only available in Japanese, but we'll share more details as they become available.

Mixing compatibility is unconfirmed at this time.

More details will follow.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
*Update*

Just got word that Dunlop is discontinuing the Z1 in the oe EVO sizes, and many others for that matter. They are replacing it with the Z1 Star and I'm not sure if we will be receiving any of the older version in stock. However, we do have an eta of late this month for the new version to arrive. This is what I've been told about the new version so far....

Dunlop has just announced there will be an enhanced version of the original Direzza Sport Z1, called Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec.

The primary enhancement in the Star Spec version is the tread compound, which comes up to operating temperature faster than the original while retaining the same ultimate performance levels. The current information is only available in Japanese, but we'll share more details as they become available.

Mixing compatibility is unconfirmed at this time.

More details will follow.

I just heard about this as well, for such a great price, im basically convinced on the Z1's now.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn thats some good news. Is the price going to be the same though?
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Looks like the new version will be a few $ more. Not a big diff though.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Please keep us up to date with these tires. I really want them in 255/40/17.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
Looks like the new version will be a few $ more. Not a big diff though.
$ is ok, but are the new version going to have oe size 235/45/17???

Quick Reply: Ok with all the talk about the Z1's vs the RE-01R's.... *I hope this helps some*