Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What's going on with my brakes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2003, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's going on with my brakes?

Hey guys,

Here is the low down. Three days ago I went to get my brakes serviced (I had front end vibration when applying the brakes). My dealer ended up replacing the pads and resurfacing the rotors under warrentee. Now the brakes squeal when I hit the brakes and turn left. My dealer said that it was normal "break-in". The squealing is loud. Can anyone help out?

Bobby
Old Aug 1, 2003, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Wierd At high speeds when I apply the brakes I get a little vibration. I thought maybe it was the road. So its the break pads? what did they say?
Old Aug 1, 2003, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

The squeel is normal, but vibration is not. It sucks they resurfaced your rotors and didn't just get you new ones.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Mayhem,

Quick question, why would it be normal if it happens only when I turn left and brake?
Old Aug 1, 2003, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

BLKevo8,

Get the service dept to look at it, the vibration will only get worse. The pads apparently build heat too fast and end up warping the rotors......they said to take it easy on exit ramps (bs if you ask me)

Bobby
Old Aug 1, 2003, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HwangTKD
Mayhem,

Quick question, why would it be normal if it happens only when I turn left and brake?
Might have something to do with the way the pads/calipers/shims are vibrating...the main cause of squeel.
Besides, you should do all your braking in a straight line then start your turn in.. oh wait you're on the street and not the track.

Good luck, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

mine wheel seems to be getting quite a bit of vibration in it as well... i had my pads replaced the day after i bought it, cause whatever yocal test drove it, must have really abused the brakes... there was pad transfer on the rotor, so they resurfaced them as well...

i need some 2 pc rotors like now...
Old Aug 2, 2003, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Diesel
i need some 2 pc rotors like now...
right on man! if i get the cash, those 2 pc from pruven are mine. They seem to be the only realistic option right now. In the mean time I'm gonna beat the hell out of my brakes.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

dealers sure like to define normal to suit their own purposes. I would examine the pads for glazing and, if found, I would show it to the dealer. Then, after they accused me of abusing the brakes during break in I might do a very light sanding (Caution: just enough to remove the galze from the pads) then re-fit and try to mate them to the rotors once again.

Too bad they resurfaced your rotors, unless there was scoring or warpage they just did a number on you.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

vibration is from warped rotors pushing teh pistons back in and/ or pushing the tires out and in to follow the rotor(hence vibration and pedal pulsation). i would have asked for new discs since it is a hi-po car the thinner the rotors the faster they will give in to heat