Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hawk Pads

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawk Pads

Any comments on them? I just bought them and im going to install them today. Also, is it like a normal brake pad replacement or do i need any special tools?

Thanks for the comments and any help.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

The Brembo calibers are the easiest to replace due to the rear openings to pull out the old pads. Just carefully use the punch to pop out the pins, you don't want to nick the Powder coating on the calipers they will begin to peal : ( As far as the Hawks go they should be great, I am running the Ferodo racing pads now and I love them. Let us know how the Hawks work.

Good luck
Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like most people are using Hawk or Ferodo, but I never hear anything about Project Mu pads. Is that a low quality pad? Or is it just difficult to come by? Just curious, as I saw them in an online vendor's store, but never hear anything about them...
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Had Ferodo as my OE pads on my G35 and switched over to the HPS. The HPS, for me anyway, had less dust, less noise, and better braking. Have always used Hawks with great results.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by grazzo77
The Brembo calibers are the easiest to replace due to the rear openings to pull out the old pads. Just carefully use the punch to pop out the pins, you don't want to nick the Powder coating on the calipers they will begin to peal : ( As far as the Hawks go they should be great, I am running the Ferodo racing pads now and I love them. Let us know how the Hawks work.

Good luck
What do you mean by this??
Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Check out this link http://media.putfile.com/Brembo-brak...nging-tutorial. It will show you the pins he is talking about.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to have them for like a week or two , they make noise like a pig, but i know they have different models of hawk's I went with Performace Friction, bought them from AMS. Work great, quiet. This is my second set with power stop rottors.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

I just ordered up some Hawk HPS pads and some powerslot rotors. Hopefully all goes well.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

My hawks are noisy as hell...they are hawk HPS pads
Old Mar 19, 2008, 02:55 AM

my hps is not noisy at all. i jus cant make them squeel with either hard braking or tapping on the brakes with my toe.... i probably got fake pads.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:08 AM
Evolving Member

I have the hawk hps as well. I generously lubricated them on install. I never hear anything at all whatsoever.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:27 AM

i think there are several models for the hps pads which is why some guys experience noise while others don't. just came across in a vendor's website 2 different part numbers for the hps front pads.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

I believe the key is in the grease. I did not use the stock stuff that drys up.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 06:11 AM

We are very experienced in selling brakes &c to the German car guys. I am not advertizing, just sharing our experience.

Hawks are dusty and with some compounds tend to leave an unremovable residue when used hard in wet conditions - unremovable in that no amount of effort short of bead blasting removes it - DTC series is better in this regard. Their street ceramics squeel like pigs but are good stopping, long lasting and virtually nondusting (yes we have antiseized the he11 out of them to min squeeling!); if it weren't for the noise we would rate them a perfect street pad.

Nearly all our performance guys have gone to Performance Friction: street guys the Carbon Z cpd and racers the various 01, 03, & 07 cpds. The success has been phenomenal! I was always a Pagid guy so I resisted this until I tried a set; now I'm a convert. Price is HIGH but wear is best, dust is minimal, performance will suck your eyeballs out, rotor wear is minimal even in the race pads! Other pads we have had success with are:

Ferodo - great stopping but dusty and pads wear quickly with little rotor wear

Pagid - great stopping but dusty with good pad wear and little rotor wear

AXXISS Ultimates - street only guys love them for wear low dust but melt at track

BTW, ask your vendor to source the Performance Friction 2 piece rotors - they are incredible. Don't know if they are available for the Evo X yet but our BMW and Porsche guys love them!

I am not stating this is gospel but unlike private users I do have hundreds of data points to support these claims. Use the info as you see fit when buying pads from your supplier; he'll probably confirm this for the pads he carries.

Dan Law
DER MotorSports

Last edited by DER MotorSports; Mar 19, 2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 06:37 AM

i just got the hps as i was thinking of trying out the dtc 60 for track. is it ok then to run hps and swap it out for pfc 01 during track? i understand it's better to run street and race pads from the same manufacturer.