Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

*** Choose 2go w/ Coilovers...but what ya think.....***

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2008, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everybody has their own opinion on what they like (probably whats on their car). There is KW3's, Bilstein, Stance, PIC, Buddy Club are alright. Then you have some of your JDM brands like Tein, Cusco, Apexi. They aren't bad but they dont ride that great and the damping isn't that great. If you aren't concerned about all out handling any decent coilover will do. You really wont notice the difference until you drive aggressive or hit the track.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want something that wont be rubbing and be all saggy going down the road. I DONT WANT TO HAVE A BUMPY CAR AT ALL... also immma have all that power in my car that its goign to be basically a street car monster. just that i dont need a drag or track suspension as i am not into that really. dont take me wrong the car will prolly go to the dragstrip to see what times it runs. but thats it..

do u understand what im trying to say......?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Well if you dont want a bumpy car stay away from 90% of the jap. coilovers. Short stroke with high springrates = teeth rattle. I would stick with your high end European/US coilovers or some of the specific evo setups. I think for performance with ride quality for around 2k or under you have KW3 or Bilstein PSS9 or the upcoming PSS10. Those are going to be the best coilover for quiet, nice ride quality, and performance. If you start hitting the road course ever in the future stiffer springrates would be in store. For the street though those two will be very hard to be beat for under 2k. Although I will say MR bilsteins plus Swift springs is about the best performance and ride quality you can get for the price. About $750 can get you a set. I have that setup and it is very very nice and does pretty well at the track if you stay on street tires.

Last edited by dbsears; Mar 22, 2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've said this elsewhere...

Koni
Bilstein
Moton
Penske
Ohlins

If you stick with that list, you're guaranteed to get a quality shock. Outside of that, make sure you do your research.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
duuude.....the Bilsteins are one of the best riding coilovers out there...you will be happy. stop worrying! bilstein knows what they are doing.

the pss10's are supposedly more aggressive and will be more expensive, so don't bother waiting for them if you're not tracking your car. the other option would be bilstein struts/shocks + a good set of springs.

- drew
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

How about we go this rate...

I DONT HAVE TO GET COILOVERS... BUT IM STARTING FROM SCRATCH AS I DONT HAVE SPRINGS OR SHOCKS ON MY CAR.

How about we get some shocks and springs and go from there... we can make our out coils lol

So would this be a better set up for me? as im kinda looking for something weird..... ??

This is y im taking a lot of advice as i dont want to change them in the future and spend more money. thats y im researchign first.... would this be the way to go....
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Also when i meant bumpy.. as a STOCK suspension the car is bumpy.... so that doesnt bother me a lot. just dont wannt to get worst bumps that my stock old suspension came with.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
duuude.....the Bilsteins are one of the best riding coilovers out there...you will be happy. stop worrying! bilstein knows what they are doing.

the pss10's are supposedly more aggressive and will be more expensive, so don't bother waiting for them if you're not tracking your car. the other option would be bilstein struts/shocks + a good set of springs.

- drew
Well the PSS10's I have seen for the BMW's and Audi's that are out didn't raise in price. Still $1700 MSRP right?
Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

when are the psss10's coming out !!!
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
ETA on the PSS10's is supposedly May-ish.....but judging by the delays the Porsche kits saw July sounds more likely. We'll see. You know we'll let everyone know as soon as we can.

- andrew
I doubt it's changed much since Andrew posted this 3 days ago

I'd say for your goals, grab that last set of PSS9's or a set of Bilstein HD's + springs.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

or what about some BC ??
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

In the end it's up to you - I think everyone has posted their ideas so it's up to you to decide. Personally it doesn't sound like you really need a coilover per-se. BC's are fine as entry level coilovers - there's nothing magical about them. For the money they are fine but for your goals I would personally go with a company like Bilstein that has a bit more R&D money and who people repeatedly say are very street oriented. Now this isn't to say that the BC's aren't good, but it just sounds like the Bilsteins fit your needs better. I would listen to shops like GTWorx, Robispec and Works - maybe get in touch with one of them (GTWorx has been offering suggestions - I've dealt with Myles in the past with my Sti and he was always a smart guy with good info). They can point you in the right direction.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

from looking @ the cut-out diagrams of both JIC & Tein, JIC magics are better & they've got a larger piston than the Tein Flex's. also heard alot of +'s about them from people who have them on.

Last edited by pekpekbuster; Mar 23, 2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

JIC's break on evos plain and simple. Some might not but its not worth taking the risk on 2k coilovers would quite a few people have had the problem.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

I havent found a set of bilsteins. i always only find shocks....

Quick Reply: *** Choose 2go w/ Coilovers...but what ya think.....***