Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Grassroots guru need your help and tips on DIY alignment

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grassroots guru need your help and tips on DIY alignment

A lot of track junkies do their own alignment because lets face it, we always change our settings and paying 80 to 100 bucks to an alignment shop 6 to 8 times a year pretty much pay for the tools to do it yourself.

I would get some slip plates for toe adjustment/reading

and as for camber you can pretty much find a camber gauge anywhere for a decent price.

I know the caster on our car can't be adjusted so I don't have to worry about that.

Adjusting the camber and toe for the front is easy, it's just a matter of getting your steering wheel centered.

I'm kind of stuck on the rear. If I measured the toe and it's at dead 0 I am still uncertain if it's correct because if the wheel is like this for both side / / then it would read the same right? So you would think you got the toe dialed in.

My question is; how can you tell if it's parallel? For example if I wanted 0 toe it should be | | or a little toe out \ / and vice versa for toe in. I don't trust the eyeball method to know if I got it right. Is there a measuring technique to check for this?

I would be doing everything on a leveled surface of course

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by DOHCtor; Mar 26, 2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 07:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for toe you can always measure the distance from the front of the rear drivers tire to front of the rear passengers tires and then the rear of the rear drivers tire to the rear of the rear passengers tires and make sure the distance is the same.

Does that make sense? it is rudimentary but it should get you in the ballpark or able to verify settings.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
for toe you can always measure the distance from the front of the rear drivers tire to front of the rear passengers tires and then the rear of the rear drivers tire to the rear of the rear passengers tires and make sure the distance is the same.

Does that make sense? it is rudimentary but it should get you in the ballpark or able to verify settings.
even if the rear tires are parallel they still can be slanted and even by measuring it won't pick it up. anyways, i got some answer on another forum about using the string method. ill try that i guess.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
get a laser rack alignment for toe one time, then you know it will be right and you can confidently make changes to the toe
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

this is what I got from a member on socalevo

Now.. you're going to love my setup!! O0

I happen to have a buddy with a digital camber gauge... So thats easy.

I use two 12" square commercial floor tiles with grease between for slip plates. This works surprisingly well. I can easily push the car around. ~$10

I put the car up on concrete blocks ~5" for room to adjust stuff. ~$10

I built and attached alignment bars after establishing the exact centerline of the car. ~$4

String $2

And a digital caliper for measuring to the 0.0005 of an inch. (christmas present)

The biggest challenge for the front toe is locking the steering wheel. I haven't built a jig for that just yet.

Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:00 AM
Evolving Member

I been researching on this all night. I like this setup, seems more easy.

His write up can be found here http://www.elantragtclub.com/elantra/id554.html . I would be doing it a little differently though.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Question Setting camber usingp lates

guys, what is the best way to slide / move the camber plates (for the front)
when the car is sitting on the tires, and you undo the bolts on the camber plates, the plates still do not slide because the weight of the car... if I jack the car up, and begin to undo the bolts, the sturt being to fall out because you have the tires and whole stut assembly hanging for it... this makes it very hard to set my camber.. can someone please share their method? I do own a digital camber gauge.. and I was abel to do the rears of my car very easily, but the front is so HARD !! and I thought camber plates were meant to make things very easy.

My car was places on tiles to level my floor surface, but I didnt put any grease of salt on my tiles, so every times I changes the camber (rear) I went for a drive to settle the suspension...

I know I am on the right track but I need some extra help please.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres a video on youtube on how to align cars. He also has CO install and corner balancing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sZoL1gaWedA

Last edited by cpoevo; Jun 7, 2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old Jun 9, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good thread.

I've been using strings for toe for a couple of years now with good results. I don't use the slip plates, I just roll the car back and forward between adjustments. That usually requires that I then reset the strings but overall it doesn't take too long. Maybe I'll build some slip plates...

For camber I just use a large carpenters square and calipers along with a little trigonometry!