Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Staggering Tire size

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staggering Tire size

Has anyone run slightly different tire size on front and rear to compensate for the understeer? I'm thinking 255/40-17 in the front and 235/45-17 in the rear. Same tire make and model, just different widths. I did some searching and couldn't find anything on the subject. I was thinking the slight difference is grip might be just enough to get steering to neutral, possibly slight oversteer. Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

There are better ways to make the car neutral (rear sway bar, alignment, coilovers, etc.)
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't messed around with the workings of the differentials yet, so I could be wrong on this, but running different diameter tires will kill the differential... becasue they are mechanically linked. I think I have read about this some where but not positive. I am sure someone more informed will chime in on this.

But my gut tells me this is a terriable idea on an AWD car.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Those tire sizes are close but not the same... anywhere from 13 to 19 revolutions per mile MORE for the front tires (depending on the exact tire). This difference has to go somewhere and it'll go into destroying your transfer case.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

dont do it, it will mess with the drivetrain, SEARCH
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies. I totally spaced it on the transfer case issues (duh). I'll look for another solution.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

you can still get the staggered look with same size wheels and tires, but different offsets.

you need to keep the tire size and the wheels width the same all the way around, but you can use the offsets to get more lip in the rear.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by diablo2184
you can still get the staggered look with same size wheels and tires, but different offsets.

you need to keep the tire size and the wheels width the same all the way around, but you can use the offsets to get more lip in the rear.
+1
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think he was going for a staggered setup for looks - just trying to do it to reduce understeer.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

You could always run different width wheels with the same tire size on them. wider wheels up front flatten the tread contact patch out, and make the tire squirm less. the rounder tread face/ contact patch created out back lets the car rotate a bit more and supposedly gives you a nice controllable traction breakaway. I havent heard of many people using this though.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbyu
Has anyone run slightly different tire size on front and rear to compensate for the understeer? I'm thinking 255/40-17 in the front and 235/45-17 in the rear. Same tire make and model, just different widths. I did some searching and couldn't find anything on the subject. I was thinking the slight difference is grip might be just enough to get steering to neutral, possibly slight oversteer. Thanks!
I did this in my STi for autocross.

The big thing to make sure for a daily driver is that the rolling diameter of the tire is the same. Mount everything up and put a soft tape measure around the tire, if the circumference is the same that's a good sign. Then when the car is on the tires you want the distance to the center of the axle nut to be the same front and rear and sometimes you can adjust tire pressure to fix this. Keep in mind camber can affect this value when you take the measurement.

For autocross I had a 0.75" difference in circumference front to rear and it was ok, this is mainly because autocross is for short periods and you are alway turning and not putting a lot of stress on the center diff. I ran 315/35R17 up front and 275/40 R17 in the back both on 10" wide wheels.

Cliff notes - everything has to be the same rolling diameter.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crystalhelix
I did this in my STi for autocross.

The big thing to make sure for a daily driver is that the rolling diameter of the tire is the same. Mount everything up and put a soft tape measure around the tire, if the circumference is the same that's a good sign. Then when the car is on the tires you want the distance to the center of the axle nut to be the same front and rear and sometimes you can adjust tire pressure to fix this. Keep in mind camber can affect this value when you take the measurement.

For autocross I had a 0.75" difference in circumference front to rear and it was ok, this is mainly because autocross is for short periods and you are alway turning and not putting a lot of stress on the center diff. I ran 315/35R17 up front and 275/40 R17 in the back both on 10" wide wheels.

Cliff notes - everything has to be the same rolling diameter.

And your DCCD center diff is an OPEN diff when its on 35/65 split like it should be on tarmac. sorry mang, wont work on an evo.