Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My new HKS Hipermax III Sport Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new HKS Hipermax III Sport Coilovers

I just got them today from Signal Auto. They came pretty quick since they're in stock here in Cali. Took basically like a day for Signal to pick it up. I'm getting them installed tomorrow. Sorry about the pics, my freakin' iPhone wouldn't focus.

Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

look good bud

apparently they work very well, a mate of mine replaced these with the HKS II he had and he reckons they way better in every way!

post pics when done
Old Mar 29, 2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Whoop_ass
look good bud

apparently they work very well, a mate of mine replaced these with the HKS II he had and he reckons they way better in every way!

post pics when done

For sure man, they're getting installed in a few minutes!
Old May 29, 2008, 09:15 PM

they look pretty good! any thoughts on how you like/dislike them?
i'm thinkin about ordering a set myself, but haven't found anyone with remarks as to how they ride/perform.
Old May 29, 2008, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

how much was it?
Old May 30, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Finally! A pioneer, can you post up your impressions of how they ride/perform? I'm between these and KW variants.

I know everyone stress KW's because they're supposedly better but I want to try the HKS' out. That being said no coilover setup is good off the shelf and they all need to be tuned.
Old May 30, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

I'm always curious about who manufacture the shock absorber for the HKS HyperMax Coilovers.

Does anyone know by any chance.
Old May 30, 2008, 11:23 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

Anyone seen the normal Hipermax 3? Not the Sport model. The normal ones are supposed to come with some special rubber upper mounts to reduce road noise.
Old May 30, 2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ZK
Anyone seen the normal Hipermax 3? Not the Sport model. The normal ones are supposed to come with some special rubber upper mounts to reduce road noise.

http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=3409

That shows the "Normal/Street" version of the hipermax III's
Old May 30, 2008, 02:20 PM

I'm not a pro driver by no means but all my past vehicles have had full coilovers on them. These hipermax III sport coilovers are probably the stiffest ones that I've installed. The only reason why I chose these coilovers over any others is because I'm an HKS fanboy and that the HKS Hypermax Evo CT230R used a version of this set for their time attacks. Plus a lot of my parts on my previous cars and hopefull my Evo have been all HKS. Don't ask me why, that's just the brand that I chose to be loyal with. Plus they're good quality parts. Otherwise I would have gone with Ohlins or something. But the Ohlins coils that I want is a little out of my price range. LOL

The Hipermax III sport coils are made very well. When I installed these onto the Evo, the difference between the stock ones are like night and day. It'll be like that for every car once you modify the suspension. The stock suspension on the MR was really good but I need something more aggressive.

The spring rates are pretty high at 10kg(f)/8kg(r) instead of the "normal" version of these coils which are rated at 8kg(f)/7kg(r). I wont go into much more details of the specs since you can find them here: http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=3409 The non-sport version do come with rubber mounts instead of pillow ball for better ride quality.

I haven't tracked the car yet with these coils. But I do drive the car daily and I can definelty say that the ride is very, very bumpy. Even on soft dampening settings. Which you would expect from these types of coils. If you're concerned about that you shouldn't even be driving an Evo in the first place haha. But seriously if it is a bit of a concern, I would probably go for the non-sport version. They're basically the same, just the spring rates are different and the rubber mounts. I don't mind the rough ride because I like to feel every bump on the road. I'm planning on taking the evo to the track so I woud like to take advantage of the paved road.

In any case, the car handles like a dream and they come with a 1 year warranty in the US!! The car turns very sharp and the steering response is WAY better. The only way I can give a proper review is when I finally take it to the track with my current setup. Otherwise I can't really give a good review.

The coils will definitely need a tune from a professional which would make the car respond even better. Before the coils were tuned, the car already handled like a dream, however I wanted to get it aligned and corner balanced along with a tuned "street" setup. I took it to West End Alignment here in Gardena, Ca and it was tuned there. AFTER the tune, the car felt even better. Darrin, the owner of West End, set the car up with me sitting inside to compensate for my weight. After the car feels phenomenal. I would highly recommend these coilovers to anyone.

All other monotube coilovers should be the same. It's probably about brand preference at this point after the tune. It is true that coils should be tuned to get the most out of it. I've also heard good things about the Tein Flex Monotubes, the KW's, and of course Ohlins. I went ahead with the HKS setup. I don't regret it one bit!
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:36 PM

amy word yet from the track