Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

205 winter tire on stock rim?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2003, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neone know below what temp. requires winter tires? plz email/pm me. thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 03:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Usually summer performance based tires lose their grip around 40 degrees ambient temperature. They tend to get a bit hard in colder temperatures, resulting in the tire wanting to slide on the pavement more.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neal,

I'm a little confused now. After calling you tonight to get prices on the 235/45 tires, since you said 205 would not work, I see this post in another thread:

Wheels, cheap wheels...will be hard to attain if not impossible. There will be no steelie that can handle the brembos. Tire options to keep a respectable load rating and speed rating pretty much puts you in to the Michelin Pilot Alpin VRs. 205-50-17 or 225-45-17
Thank you,
Todd Holzwarth
Discount Tire Direct
(888)459-4080 ext 414
If 205 will indeed work, I am a happy camper, since I am not looking forward to 235 snow plows. Please let me know, also, I see the South Bend warehouse is only about an hour from me, can I come pick up tires or better yet have them mounted there to save shipping costs? I come down that way occasionally anyway to go to the greasy pancake house with the apple and german pancakes right off 80/90
Old Aug 7, 2003, 06:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Hammerli- Unfotunately, the quote you posted is quite incorrect. You cannot mount a 205/50-17 on the stock wheels, and you cant mount them to any aftermarket wheels that will clear the brakes. You have to use am 8" minimum wide wheel to clear the brakes. A 205 will only fit 5.50" to 7.50" wide wheels. I would not want to be the guy driving or installing a tire that is narrower than the wheel it is going on. Furthermore, and we have all had this discussion before, the 205's do not meet load. There is only one tire in the 225 that will work and it is a Pirelli that dosent perform that well. Besides the 225's are only .2 of an inch wider than the stock tire, not even worth installing because its basically the same width. Maybe Todd was confused with the EVO and the standard Lancer. If you guys feel comfortable running on 205's then more power to you, but I would strongly argue against it. What thread is Todd posting incorrect information on?

We would be happy to have you visit our South Bend warehouse! We are a full service facility where you can purchase and have us install product. It usually takes 1- 1 1/2 hours on average for install depending on how busy we are. If you call ahead, I can resereve stock for you. I know that pancake house! MMM pancakes.....
Old Aug 7, 2003, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neal, here is thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...r&pagenumber=3

Your explanations seemed very thorough, so I doubted the other info. I'll give you a call about which tires.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Neal@tirerack.
You have to use am 8" minimum wide wheel to clear the brakes.
I am sorry, but I respectfully disagree! Your statement makes no sense at all. How does the narrow spare tire rim clear the calipers??? Hmmmm...

In most cases, the offset is the determining factor for clearing the brakes in the horizontal direction. If you want proof, just work out the offset numbers for a 7" or 7.5" wide rim and you will see that you can easily put a narrower rim on the car. In fact, you can even stick a 5" wide rim on there if you want if it has the proper offset (but they probably don't make them so you'd need a spacer). Hell, with the wrong offset, a 9" rim will not clear the calipers.

Furthermore, the other factor that will affect brake clearance is the actual spoke design and the brake clearnace distance of the rim itself. It is possible that with the same offset, an 8" rim may not fit and a 7.5" rim will fit due to the spoke design.

Maybe you were refering to the diamter for brake clearance? 17" diamater is the minumum (Maybe some 16" may fit depending on rim shape as there is about 1/2" space between caliper and the stock rim, I don't know).
Old Aug 7, 2003, 07:07 AM
Former Sponsor

xtnct- as I stated, aftermarket wheels. Of the thousands of wheels WE carry in many differ syles, my fitment team (and we have EVO's here on hand to do fitments with) has only found a handfull that will work on that car. Of the wheels WE carry, the minimum width is 8". Besides, the issue is not what wheels will fit the car (theres another thread for that) but instead what tire size will work properly and safely on the car.

If Discount wants to give you the green light on installing a 205 on a car that comes stock with a 235 and says they will fit just fine, then great call them up. There is a lot more to it than just overall diameter. I cannot and will not sell a 205 for this car. My company and myself find that size is unsafe to be driving on and I just wont put myself of the company in that situation.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Neal@tirerack.
Of the wheels WE carry, the minimum width is 8.
Now this statment makes complete sense! I must of missed the "of the wheels we carry" part in your original post.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by xtnct

How does the narrow spare tire rim clear the calipers??? Hmmmm...
It doesn't.

At least it doesn't clear the front calipers, as you'll find out if you ever have a flat front tire. You'll need to put the spare on the rear tire, then put the rear tire on the front.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jbrennen
At least it doesn't clear the front calipers, as you'll find out if you ever have a flat front tire. You'll need to put the spare on the rear tire, then put the rear tire on the front.
Interesting.... strange... good to know before needing to change a flat I guess... thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

I can confirm that the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 is a very nice all season tire with good dry, wet, and light snow performance.

I put these tires on my RX-7 last year, and they never surprised me all winter -- and this past winter was a rough one by our DC metro area standards. I used the RX-7 as my daily driver all winter and never had any problems in the snow. And the RX-7 is pretty far from being an ideal winter car.

Those are 225 width tires, and the handling was just fine at that width.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

I also run the 5000's on one of my cars and I love them. I feel they are not aggressive enough for the winters here in Northern Indiana, however, they are an awesome tire in spring-fall. Great wet and dry traction.