Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Pillow Ball Mounts, Bolts, egg-shaped, stripped bolts? Not sure whats up here..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pillow Ball Mounts, Bolts, egg-shaped, stripped bolts? Not sure whats up here..

Hey everyone,

I bought a set of PSS9's from a very reputable member here on EvoM. I sent the dampers to Bilstein for revalving for 12k/16k spring rates, and decided to inspect all of the pillow-ball mounts and other misc. hardware that came w/ the package.

Unfortunately, a lot of the bolts and the top mounts look funny. See pics:

Am I going to have to replace all of this hardware? Do they sell just the misc. bolts?

Here, the hole is all egg shaped. No idea why?

These two top mount bolts are all stripped out in side.

The top mounts on the rear look messed up (the inside parts)

Two other spacers are all egg-shaped too.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow i really don't know what to say? So those are Pss9's with Tein pillowball mounts?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

yea PSS9's w/ Tein Pillowball mounts. I ran the setup by Race Comp; they were going to order me a brand new set identical to this one but they discontinued the PSS9's to make way for the PSS10s, so I got these used.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

These came off my car (which I bought used with this suspension on it) and I really dunno what to say! The egg shaped stuff is just too weird!

I hope all goes well man. Wish I could help with info but I bought the car and took these off without touching them .
Old Apr 3, 2008, 08:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Call TEIN or a knowledgable TEIN dealer (rallysportdirect), and show them the pics.

You'll at least need new topnuts, and maybe the whole bearing for those rears. They look a little messy. See what they say.....they'll certainly be able to help. Rallysport can get you replacement parts.

My guess is whoever put these on pounded the bejeezus out of the topnut with an impact gun!

- Andrew
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use any of that hardware. I've also owned a couple of Tein products and never had any of it look like that.

My guess is this:
The PSS9's have a slightly different thread on the end of the damper shaft and these parts were reworked to fit that damper shaft. Whomever did the work however is a hack.

Edit: Contact Bilstein and find out the dimensions and thread of the damper shaft. Then contact Tein directly and find out their dimensions and thread and see what jives and what doesn't.

Good Luck

John
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Andrew,

Thanks for the input man! I just got off the phone w/ Rallysportdirect and they're sending the link to this thread to a guy who should be able to help me.

John,

Good point. I will call up Bilstein and see what the dimensions are of the thread/dimensions of the shaft.

Andrew (again),

Would you know the dimensions of the Tein plates and what shafts they would be able to accept?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com

My guess is whoever put these on pounded the bejeezus out of the topnut with an impact gun!

- Andrew
I don't know if an impact gun did that, because the spacers are also real egg shaped. They shouldn't spin with the nut when removed w/ an impact gun, am I right?

I just don't want to replace all of these parts and have this happen in my car! Especially at the track if something like this broke... that would be bad.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kekek
Personally I wouldn't use any of that hardware. I've also owned a couple of Tein products and never had any of it look like that.

My guess is this:
The PSS9's have a slightly different thread on the end of the damper shaft and these parts were reworked to fit that damper shaft. Whomever did the work however is a hack.

Edit: Contact Bilstein and find out the dimensions and thread of the damper shaft. Then contact Tein directly and find out their dimensions and thread and see what jives and what doesn't.

Good Luck

John
oooof that could be it too. Bilsteins I believe use an M14x15 thread pitch. These topnuts could have been very very poorly modified to work.

- andrew
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
oooof that could be it too. Bilsteins I believe use an M14x15 thread pitch. These topnuts could have been very very poorly modified to work.

- andrew
you know what, I bet that's it. I bet they were just widened to make them fit on the Bilsteins. Looking at the shock tower before sending them to bilstein, I didn't see any 'shavings' or remnants of the washers/nut on them... come to think of it, how else would these things have gotten like this?

...dammit.