Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

ball joint failed at 35K

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ball joint failed at 35K

how concerned should I be? It's the right passenger rear joint. I've never tracked nor auto-xed with the car. Actually, I drive rather slow. I just noticed it when I was changing brake pads. What is needed to replace the joint? Do I purchase only the joint or do I have to buy a whole control arm or something along those lines? Any pointers is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by bluebanana23; Apr 13, 2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You shouldn't be attending any track days or even driving on the street with any type of failed or really worn ball joints. You're really just asking for it if you do. Ideally the offending BJ should be replaced and get the car aligned.

BTW, which one failed? How did it fail? You provided no details.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know how the rear passenger side one failed. I just noticed it when I changed brake pads.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

How about you give us more details rather than assuming....come on buddy!
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know what kind of details you guys want besides what I already posted the second time. I don't know much about suspensions hence why i'm starting a thread.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Ok then here's the only answer your going to get. It failed, be concerned, don't drive the car until it's fixed. When parts fail then fix them.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Well i'm going to assume you know just as much knowledge about suspensions as I do if that's how you respond. There's really no need to ethug since we already know you're a badass.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Dude what else do you want to know? YOU GAVE NO DETAILS! Your ball joint failed at 35k....Do you expect all of us to magically tell you how it failed? Do want us to tell you what YOU did to make it fail? What type of response do you want if you give no details? Is your car lowered? We're you beating on it? Did you run over something? Once again we don't know because YOU GAVE NO DETAILS. I was more than willing to help because I have been through a ton of ball joints in previous cars such as my old dsm but what do you expect? Just go fix it unless you want to spill the beans.

Last edited by DSMEVOLUTION; Apr 13, 2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

And now you finally change your original post to state more than just it failed at 35k and I have an auto-x event, should I be worried?

Ok now we can actually get somewhere....You said that you just noticed it while changing the rear brake pads. What makes you assume it's bad? Is the boot torn? Is it making a sound? If the boot is torn that does not neccessary mean he ball joint is bad.

Last edited by DSMEVOLUTION; Apr 13, 2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't know what details were needed since I was just looking for a general diagnosis beyond "just go replace it and be done with it". The only suspension mod I have is a rear sway bar. The boot is torn and leaking grease. I'd be happy to post more details but I like I typed earlier, I don't know what other details are needed.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Same scenario happened to me. I took my rear passsenger wheel off to clean it and noticed the boot must have torn on the upper control arm ball joint. All of the white lube that comes packed in the ball joint was on the control arm. Haven't had it replaced yet. I haven't tracked or auto-x my car. Not sure what caused the failure.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Well I would get under your car and inspect the joint. You said it's leaking grease is there any grease left on the joint? If the joint is not bone dry or full of junk then I would just replace the boot. Do you notice any odd sounds? You might have run over something that tore the boot and it just got worse over time.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Alright thanks dsmevo I'll check it tonight. Hopefully it's just the boot. I thought you had to replace the whole unit but apparently not.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

A torn or jeaking boot does not indicate failure. It can, however, cause premature failure. The ball joint has failed once it has excessive play. I'm not sure about the Evo is specifically, but most car makers actually allow for some play in the ball join in order to pass State Inspection.

When a ball joint fails, the wheel will fall in an look as if it has -45 degrees of camber
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

u mean wheel bearing..

Quick Reply: ball joint failed at 35K