Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best tire size for dd/auto-x car (Dunlop Direzza Z1 sports)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ggevoIX
RE01R's?? who makes thise
are u serious..
Old Apr 22, 2008, 09:25 AM

im still on the stock suspension since my car only has about 7k on it. so should i jus go for the 255
Old Apr 24, 2008, 02:31 PM
Account Disabled

u better not ask that.. everyone will flame you!! u should have searched for it!!! everyone on here are a bunch of you know what!
Old Apr 25, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

^ say it....what are we......say it
Old Apr 25, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Bridgestone makes it....
Old May 4, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Do you guys know if I could run an 18in rim with a drag radial??
Old May 4, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey My name is Josh and I'm a *****! LOL You could run a Drag radial on an 18 but it wouldn't make much sense. You want the extra side wall. You aren't looking for all out handling with drag radials. By the way, sorry I didn't yell at him and tell him to search, that seems to be status quo for some members on here. No disrespect to anyone on here but if the shoe fits. . .

Josh
Old May 4, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TougeTuned00
im still on the stock suspension since my car only has about 7k on it. so should i jus go for the 255
Get 245/45/17s, great on the AX runs and will help with trap speeds on the 1/4. Slightly taller than the 235s stockers. These Z1s run wide - my 245s are as wide as my 255/40 615s. And a MUCH better tire.
Old May 4, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ggevoIX
u better not ask that.. everyone will flame you!! u should have searched for it!!! everyone on here are a bunch of you know what!
Waaaaaaah! My vagina hurts!

Stop asking the silly questions and acting like the world owes you answers and start educating yourself. It's not that hard. People like you make me miss the Talon Digest so much.
Old May 5, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^lol!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 6, 2008, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
So is anyone really running the 255's in the star spec's?

I ordered a set a few days ago (waiting for them to come in), and now I'm thinking I should have went 245.

Here's a link to the specifics on the star specs...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...irePageLocQty=
Old May 7, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I'm pretty sure you're limited to 245 if you want to stayin STX/STU or whatever. 255 will bump you into SM. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, 255 should ideally be used on a wheel of minimum 8.5" width for optimal performace. Stuffing it on the stock 8" rim will probably cost you some transient response and maybe even overall grip.
Originally Posted by RoBear
Yeah, if you use anything above 245 you bump yourself into some seriously modified categories. 245 is more than enough for just about any stock category or STU.
Where are you guys getting this information?

SCCA Solo requirements on tires is as follows:

Originally Posted by SCCA Solo Rules - Section 13.3
Tires

Any tire which is OEM on a car eligible for Stock Category may be used. Non-OEM tires must meet the following requirements to be eligible for use in Stock category:
  1. The tire must not appear on the following list, which may be altered at any time by the SEB upon notification of membership.No tire models are currently listed.
  2. No tire models will be approved for competition during the rest of the year after April 30 of each calendar year. Each eligible tire model must meet all requirements of section 13.3 by April 30, and must continue to meet them thereafter. A tire model will normally be determined by the designation in the Tire Guide. However, any of the following changes or similar changes (as determined by the SEB) will also be considered to represent a new model for eligibility purposes, even if the designation does not change: Change of tread pattern at either full or partial tread depth; characterization by the manufacturer or distributor of a tire as "new" after April 30.
    Discontinued model tires already produced will continue to be eligible for Solo II competition in Stock and Street Prepared categories. This follows years of precedence on eligibility for discontinued tire models.If a manufacturer reintroduces a tire model which was previously discontinued, that tire will be considered a new model. Therefore, it will have to meet the rules specified in SIIR Section 13.3 including the April 30 introduction date.|
  3. The model of tire must be listed in a current or previous two years of the Tire Guide and Tread Design Guide, or otherwise be approved by the SEB. The tire model must have Department of Transportation approval.
  4. Within each tire model, the sizes which are available must be equally available to all competitors. Tire model variations differing from standard specification, delivered only on a limited basis, or only to selected competitors, may not be used.
  5. No racing tire or recap (on any casing) may be used.
  6. Each tire model must be sold in at least four diameters, with a total of at least six sizes.
  7. Tire must fit the allowable wheels and fender wells without modification.
  8. Each tire must have non-zero measurable tread depth (i.e., points where it is possible to obtain positive measurement values) as described in Section 3.3.D. Tires may not have cord visible at any time during competition.
You're not size limited. If it fits the wheel, doesn't rub and doesn't need any modification, you should be able to run it. If someone else sees something I don't, please let me know.
Old May 7, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lords3t
Where are you guys getting this information?

SCCA Solo requirements on tires is as follows:

You're not size limited. If it fits the wheel, doesn't rub and doesn't need any modification, you should be able to run it. If someone else sees something I don't, please let me know.
Classes do have tire specific rules as well, not just the generalized ones you posted. Need to read the rules before you give out info.

http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo%2...lo_Rules_2.pdf

Straight from the rulebook, page 82 section14.13:

"STU follows the STX rule set, but raises the displacement limit for
otherwise STX-legal vehicles to 3.1 liters for forced induction and to
unlimited dsplacement for natural aspiration. Restrictions on wheel
width are lifted and the maximum tire width is increased to 275 for
FWD or RWD vehicles (but remains at 245 for AWD vehicles)."
Old May 7, 2008, 10:00 AM

well i decied to go for a 255's. Im running them on the stock BBS wheelsand their really isnt any bulge they even almost look stock. I obviously lost some steering response but what was lost in response was gained in absolute grip. I have an auto-x event coming up this saturday so ill let you guys know how they perform.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 20psiMR
Classes do have tire specific rules as well, not just the generalized ones you posted. Need to read the rules before you give out info.

http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo%2...lo_Rules_2.pdf

Straight from the rulebook, page 82 section14.13:

"STU follows the STX rule set, but raises the displacement limit for
otherwise STX-legal vehicles to 3.1 liters for forced induction and to
unlimited dsplacement for natural aspiration. Restrictions on wheel
width are lifted and the maximum tire width is increased to 275 for
FWD or RWD vehicles (but remains at 245 for AWD vehicles)."
Section 14.13 is within the Street Touring Category and does not apply to Stock. I was under the impression the OP was refereeing to the stock class (and I'm still pretty sure he is). I'm not in the habit of blindly providing false information. Hence the clear cut citation.

Edit: But just to go the extra mile, I contacted an SCCA official and asked him. This is what he had to say about the matter.
If you are going to run AS, you are correct. You can run anything that will fit on a stock sized wheel and go under your fenders without modification. ...
Originally Posted by TougeTuned00
well i decied to go for a 255's. Im running them on the stock BBS wheelsand their really isnt any bulge they even almost look stock. I obviously lost some steering response but what was lost in response was gained in absolute grip. I have an auto-x event coming up this saturday so ill let you guys know how they perform.
Yes, definitely let us know. I'm interested in your feedback on the 255s.

Last edited by lords3t; May 7, 2008 at 10:16 AM.