Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec review (post-autox)n

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes the Z1s really do hold! Nice review! These have been great tires. Ran a track day in the WET and these handled like my old tires (615s) as if it was a dry

245/45/17s

(and these are AS WIDE as my 255/40/17 615s)
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Someone take them to a road course! I'd like to find out how they hold up to continous lapping. Man, the RE01Rs are a lot more expensive compared to when I bought them a year ago...
Old Apr 22, 2008, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Yes the Z1s really do hold! Nice review! These have been great tires. Ran a track day in the WET and these handled like my old tires (615s) as if it was a dry

245/45/17s

(and these are AS WIDE as my 255/40/17 615s)
I run 245/45/17 615's right now... and was seriously considering these tires, because they appear to be much like an Advan Neova. My question is, in the dry, is the steering as responsive and is the lateral traction as good as the Azenis?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lords3t
I'm actually contemplating taking the financial plunge for some RE-01Rs. Does anyone have experience with both these tires? Will the Direzza Z1's really hold like the RE-01Rs?
According to Tire Rack, the Z1s grip significantly better than the RE-01Rs but sacrifice a little ride quality and noise comfort. Both outperform the stock Advans in all respects.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PSIcho
I run 245/45/17 615's right now... and was seriously considering these tires, because they appear to be much like an Advan Neova. My question is, in the dry, is the steering as responsive and is the lateral traction as good as the Azenis?
As good? Try way better. 615s are now old school. Z1s and REO1Rs are now heads over that technology.

Last edited by Smike; Apr 22, 2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 06:59 PM

I just got the Direzza's myself and my very first impression is that they are quieter than stock. Haven't really pushed them yet. But so far, I like them.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Someone take them to a road course! I'd like to find out how they hold up to continous lapping. Man, the RE01Rs are a lot more expensive compared to when I bought them a year ago...
i just got a pairr yesterday and will hit the road course next wk..
i very interested to see how they compare to my reo1r
Old Apr 23, 2008, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 72Tornado
According to Tire Rack, the Z1s grip significantly better than the RE-01Rs but sacrifice a little ride quality and noise comfort. Both outperform the stock Advans in all respects.
the tire noise and ride quality is so overated ..why worry about tire noise .your driving a evo
no offense to u personally i just dont get why anyone would complain about tire niose or harsh ride..
and for anhyone whos trying to compare reo1r or the new dunlop to the falken 615 thats a JOKE!

Last edited by HaVoC RR; Apr 23, 2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Video and track write-up on page 2. Pictures on 3.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=337211

Held up great!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NyC DrifteR
the tire noise and ride quality is so overated ..why worry about tire noise .your driving a evo
no offense to u personally i just dont get why anyone would complain about tire niose or harsh ride..
and for anhyone whos trying to compare reo1r or the new dunlop to the falken 615 thats a JOKE!
Neither of those factors mattered to me in making my decision, but I wanted to answer the question as best I could and provide as much information as possible.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 02:42 PM

Just installed a set of these Direzza Star Specs in OEM size on stock rims. Overall seems like a very grippy street tire but without the jarring sidewalls of the stock Advans. Since I daily drive the Evo, having more comfort against road defects is a blessing. And of course the price can't be beat. I can't wait to get to my favorite canyon run to test them thoroughly.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoTrix
Just installed a set of these Direzza Star Specs in OEM size on stock rims. Overall seems like a very grippy street tire but without the jarring sidewalls of the stock Advans. Since I daily drive the Evo, having more comfort against road defects is a blessing. And of course the price can't be beat. I can't wait to get to my favorite canyon run to test them thoroughly.
I don't think you will be disappointed.

Update: I am about 500 miles in to mine, including about 18 autoX runs. They seem like they are improving as they wear, which is common. I was at an event last weekend and it was pretty hot, over 80 degrees. Lots of people were spraying down their tires. I usually would have been, especially with Azenis RT615s, but didn't feel like I really had to bother. They warmed up quickly and pretty much plateau-ed in terms of grip once at optimal temp (didn't overheat and fall off in performance). I was sliding and overworking them a lot too (from my overzealous driving and too-high spring rates, not because the tires weren't working well). The runs groups were small, so there wasn't much time for them to cool between laps. Tire pressures did not continue to rise as much as they have in the past on the RT615s. Granted, different events and different courses, but it was about 20-25 degrees hotter last weekend than the last time I ran the Azenis RT615s at an AutoX. One thing I have noticed is that right now they are pretty loud on the street, BUT that could be due to my AutoX alignment (lots of camberand toe-out in front. I use the RT615s on the street and they are not as loud with the same alignment. I dont care about noise really, but it's something I noticed.

Last edited by hokiruu; Jun 6, 2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...irePageLocQty=
This thread is worth bumping with a Tire Rack test that was made recently after the last comment. Star Specs are the new top dog!

Last edited by silex; Oct 9, 2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoa! 1st place, RE01 in 2nd, and AD07 Demoted to 3rd!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

hokiruu, which size profile do you have? How many miles have you accrued now and how are they holding up? Have the tries treated you well as an all-purpose street and race tire?

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec review (post-autox)n