Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear Underbody Diffuser - Pics anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2004, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
the evo is a rally car... where downforce is important, but not THAT important, keep in mind most evos and rally cars spend their time losing traction, not making huge downforce to keep traction, which is probably why big steps have not really been made towards underbody diffusing and the such. if you look at the evos from hks and apexi you could prolly get some good tips on what aero parts to add, cuz in japan they are using the evo like we do here in the states (cept for the drag racing part). i'd say do waht they do, or find someone to minick products that they make. :]
Down force is just as important on a rally car as it is on any race car...it is just much harder to achieve due to the high slip angles they operate at. At angles above 10degrees the tunnels (and standard wings) start to stall. Rally cars corner at over 20 degrees all the time. That is why they use so many vertical elements in the wing and have angled end plates (they do wind tunnel testing at typical slip angles) in an effort to keep the wings from stalling during slides.

As has been stated the airflow must be controlled from tip to tail if any benefit is to be seen and yes the lower the better. You are better off improving the efficiency of the rear wing and adding dive-planes (canards) and a splitter up front and lowering the ride height (without any bottoming that is). My 2cents
Old Jun 26, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well in our case, as everyone's situation and usage is differrent, so take what we do, how ever you want, it may apply it may not. We *have* found gains with our own aluminum rear underbody panel. We are working to adjust it's shape and keep air from spilling off to the sides behind the tires, which look to be a low pressure spot . We're looking at smoothing the underbody to reduce drag and help keep air flow laminar, and if we can channel it and great a venturi effect, great, maybe some downforce, but reducing the drag is benefit enough. with 500awhp, getting up to speed quickly makes the Evo's brick like shape so painfully apparant. so smoothing things out, even if it requires a big wing to generate downforce instead of getting it all from uderbody work is fine. There are a lot of reasons to do aero work. Downforce is not the only thing you want to acheive with changin airflow. and if the evo has any sore spot it's aero. It looks like they spent a decent amount of time up front and a moment putting the wing in the back.. and that's it. There are plenty of areas of oppurtunity.. Granted without a windtunnel it takes longer, but that just makes the fun of trying things all the better...
Old Jun 26, 2004, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i totally agree with maximizing efficiency, and but with the scrap pans and scatter shields under the rally cars there's so little room to accomodate turnneling or even open airguide diffusing, so they really just have to make the best of what they have.

would definitely agree that the varis or any similar typd of underbody cover (fins for air guiding or not) would improve aero and since we're usin' for road courses we have less of a crazy scrape rub factor to worry about. i think full undertray would be real nice, i don't really like varis's oh let's just put those panels under the sideskirts approach.

may even want to make a bumper that has a higher underside tail end and flatten everything out underneath to meet it up in a curve towards the back.

i think you're right that mitsu skimped on the rear aero which is prolly why they have to patch it up a little with the vortex generator, but with that and a gurney plus some underbody work i think the overall aero would be improved by a lot.