Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Alignment needs a test drive?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2003, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Measuring toe...

Note that my method won't work for measuring rear toe-out or for measuring front toe-in, but since the factory specs call for zero toe front and 3mm toe-in rear, this works to verify or measure an Evo anywhere near factory spec.

Same prep as for camber. Level surface, front wheels straight ahead, wheels properly inflated.

Take a string and stretch it taut between the front edge of the front tire and the rear edge of the rear tire. Tape it down to the tread at both ends so it is pulled taut around the tire shoulders and crosses the center points of both front and rear wheels.

To get zero toe at the front, you want the string to just touch the sidewall at the rear side of the front tire, without being pushed out by the sidewall. If the string doesn't touch, you've got front toe-out. If the string is pushed out by the sidewall, you've got front toe-in.

To measure rear toe-in, measure the distance between the string and the sidewall at the front side of the rear tire. The factory spec calls for 3mm, although I set mine to about 1mm, which is the low end of the factory range (3mm +/- 2mm).
Old Aug 12, 2003, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my car to a third party shop for the first alignment. The specs were way off so demanded one from mitsu, told them if the car was withing spec I would pay for it, if not they needed to cover it under warranty cause the car was only a month old. They put on the machine (after spending three weeks trying to get a copy of the specs) and "yup, it sure is off". so they fixed it under warranty.