Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Serious noise, Suspension maybe

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious noise, Suspension maybe

It has been over a month since I noticed some clicking noise from the driver side front side... The noise comes from there somewhere... I dont know what is it... It is getting worse, and when I drive slow I can hear it more, especially when driving over any bump or some little hole... Even when turning to the left side, it would make some noise...
Someone installed Tein springs on my car, and did not change shocks.. I have driven my Evo for about 6k miles... So , what do you guys think the problem is.. I thinks it's in springs, and its time to change those puppies.
Thanks up front.
Old May 16, 2008, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like an axle.
Old May 16, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Man, it sounds stupid but I've had little rocks from gravel stuck between the wheel and brakes etc. that rub around for miles and miles. Hard to find but it sounds like a grinding noise.
Old May 16, 2008, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're rolling on lowering springs with stock shocks, there's a possibility that the spring lowered the shock beyond it's valving range, and could have brought the shock to a premature end. The same thing occurred to me before made the switch to coilovers.

But then again, if it's a rotating "click" it could be a rock in the brake setup, or a bad wheel bearing (check for extra heat).
Old May 16, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

my noise is more like a metal hitting against the fender kinda... not really blowing it, but just hitting it a bit... thats how it just sounds like... like i said, i think its something with shocks and springs..
thanks for the inputs
Old May 16, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

i just started having this problem on my evo 9.....like clicking come from the wheel area at like low speeds and stuff....i just changed my pads before it strrted happening so im guessing something with the brakes.........my car is lowered on tanabe gf-210's....keep me posted if you hear anything
Old May 16, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got a similar noise ... it turns out mine is the driveshaft hitting the cat-back. the noise sounds like it's originating at the front passenger wheel, but it's the vibration being transferred through the driveshaft and exhaust to the front of the car.

Mine sounds like a dull thud and it's obviously something rotational as it speeds up with the vehicle speed. The only possibilities at that point are axles or driveshaft.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the brakes... If it was brakes I would assume it would come from other side, but passenger side is completely quiet.. My guess is shocks or axle, or some bearing, because it comes directly from the tire.. When I go over bump it would make a noise, but when i brake on nice road, it wont...
Old May 18, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

something strange have happen about that noise... I was driving on highway for about 50 miles, didn't hear a thing since it was raining plus i was driving about 60...
I got off the highway and parked my car and totally forgot about the noise... Few hours latter I go in my car and start driving, and I don't hear a thing even though I'm driving slow... It has been two days since that day, and I still haven't heard that same noise.. That is some strange stuff.
Old May 18, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
If it comes back - could be a wheel bearing or dead struts. Does the car feel like riding a waterbed when on the highway (bouncing up and down)?

Wheel bearing test: driving down the road...when the sound is there - turn the wheel slightly left and right. If the sound stops that could indicate you have a going bearing.

Could have been a combo of dirt and rocks. Rain might have washed that away.

Get new springs anyway though
Old May 18, 2008, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

If it comes back - could be a wheel bearing or dead struts. Does the car feel like riding a waterbed when on the highway (bouncing up and down)?

Wheel bearing test: driving down the road...when the sound is there - turn the wheel slightly left and right. If the sound stops that could indicate you have a going bearing.

Could have been a combo of dirt and rocks. Rain might have washed that away.

Get new springs anyway though
I'll do the wheel bearing test... I hope it was just rocks and dirt..
and for the springs.. yeah, i'm definitely getting new ones..