Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wheel Bearing gone bad already???

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im pretty sure mine are going out and im at 18k miles on my ix :'(
Old May 21, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have problems getting it off, you could get one of those big *** 3 jaw pullers from autozone or somewhere.
Old May 21, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yea. That's what I used mated to a slide hammer.
Old May 21, 2008, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I looked into ordering a wheel bearing I checked out mitsubishiparts.net but they say the wheel bearing only works on lancers 2.0 w/o turbo. My question is, how did you guys order just the wheel bearing itself?
Old May 22, 2008, 12:00 AM

Thanks for the info fella's! Since mine is an 03 Im sure its going to be a little rusty.... Hope it's not too much of a pain!
Old May 22, 2008, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^ let us know how it goes!
Old Jun 4, 2008, 01:37 PM

ok, finally had time to install the new wb. All and all it went good, the main wheel bolt was a pain in the @ss! But it did fix the problem thanks for the help fella's!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know this thread is dead and has been dead for a while, but I came upon this and almost puked all over myself after seeing the awful advice that was posted. DO NOT EVER try to remove or install a wheel bearing with anything except a shop press. NO hammers, prybars, slide hammers, etc. If you try to do it this way (which even a shade tree mechanic knows not to do), you will risk ruining the bearing over again, risk having a "cockeyed" or crooked bearing causing your alignment to be skewed, and also will risk your life driving a car with a inproperly installed wheel bearing. Evo wheel bearings are not known to fail prematurely, except when some idiot kid slides off the road and hits a curb, and then promptly sells his car to an unsuspecting buyer. OK, rant is over.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Nov 22, 2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

I had one go bad at 39xxx
Old Nov 22, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

use a hammer son and hammer away that is when your removing it. Be careful when installing though, any sort of impact on the bearing could ruing it. I know from experience and so does my dad, LOL.

Make sure you get the pair might as well.

Last edited by huevosrancheros; Nov 22, 2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 04:54 PM

oh yes, get the pair. if you don't you may see yourself hammering away a couple of months down the road. Good luck
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
I know this thread is dead and has been dead for a while, but I came upon this and almost puked all over myself after seeing the awful advice that was posted. DO NOT EVER try to remove or install a wheel bearing with anything except a shop press. NO hammers, prybars, slide hammers, etc. If you try to do it this way (which even a shade tree mechanic knows not to do), you will risk ruining the bearing over again, risk having a "cockeyed" or crooked bearing causing your alignment to be skewed, and also will risk your life driving a car with a inproperly installed wheel bearing. Evo wheel bearings are not known to fail prematurely, except when some idiot kid slides off the road and hits a curb, and then promptly sells his car to an unsuspecting buyer. OK, rant is over.
Fair enough for press in type bearings, but for evos the bearing comes in a whole hub assembly, so to remove the old one you just undo 4 bolts then pop out the old assembly, sometime it quite rusted in there so this is where a slide hammer comes in handy.

For installation, if you have to use anything other than hand force then something isn't quite right. As you just push in the new one and tighten up those 4 bolts.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yogi_B
Fair enough for press in type bearings, but for evos the bearing comes in a whole hub assembly, so to remove the old one you just undo 4 bolts then pop out the old assembly, sometime it quite rusted in there so this is where a slide hammer comes in handy.

For installation, if you have to use anything other than hand force then something isn't quite right. As you just push in the new one and tighten up those 4 bolts.
Ahh I didn't even know that the evo was not of the "press" type, lol. In that case, hammer away! Just kidding, yeah do not force anything. Its ok to forcefully remove the old bearing (since it will be discarded) but great care should be taken when installing the new one so that it is not damaged. Yes, also when one goes bad, its a very good idea to replace the other side as well (in pairs). A good way to test to see if your bearing is bad, is to life the car's wheel's off the ground (via a jack) and start tugging on each wheel to see if there is any excessive play. If the wheel shakes and has too much free play, the wheel bearing is most likely shot (however you should try to peer behind the wheel and check if the outer tie rod is to blame).

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Nov 23, 2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:18 AM

Did anyone find out what the part number was on the front wheel bearing? And the price too? I called the dealer and he told me about $250.00, which seems a bit "dealerish" if you ask me. I looked on mitsubishiparts.net, but like it was said in the previous posts, it shows "w/out" turbo.

Whats what????
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:35 PM
Plat Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a link to the front hub & bearing assy.

http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/cart/?id=571&pn=MB914617

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing gone bad already???