Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilstein PSS10 Arrival???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've ridden a car equipped with the PSS9's and they are great. Although the dampening adjustment didn't really do much. Do any of you guys know if the PSS10 on other cars is capable of raising the car to stock height without requiring too much pre-load?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Nevermind, just read the PSS10 info over at Tire Rack.. Seems like it will have a minimum drop of 1"..

* Ride height adjustable from -1.0" to -1.75" (front) & -1.0" to -1.75" (rear. minimum 1" lowering)
* Wrenches to adjust front and rear ride height included!
* Lighter weight reduces wear and tear on suspension components
Does anybody know what the following means?

Ride height adjustments can be made on the vehicle without removing the suspension. The solid aluminum spring seat and lock nut allow a selective adjustment of the vehicle's ride height. Spring travel and vehicle body height change, but the spring seat remains pre-loaded throughout the allowable range of adjustment.
Does it mean that the height can be adjusted without affecting preload? ala dual height adjustable coilovers?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, from what I have gathered, besides supposedly improved valving and adjustment, that is one of the key differences
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a good set of coilovers, pretty close to what I'm looking for (although I wished it can raise the car up to stock height as my IX SE Front lip loves to scrape from time to time and I'm not into the slammed look).

If the dampening actually does work compared to the PSS9 then I'll buy one (or the ZZYZX EMSports if those end up having a valid release date and priced down a bit more).

Anybody know if there's a good chance this will be priced at the 1500-1600 range similar to the other cars or will there be a Mitsubishi Tax? - lol (pricing em 300$ more than the other car models). Priced any higher than that and one might as well go up to KW Variant 3's.

Last edited by funks; Oct 29, 2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by funks
Does it mean that the height can be adjusted without affecting preload? ala dual height adjustable coilovers?
I believe this means it just has helper springs. So same as KW's and any single height adjustable coilover with helpers, setting height doesn't really affect preload on the main spring, just trades bump travel and droop travel.

Anybody know if there's a good chance this will be priced at the 1500-1600 range similar to the other cars or will there be a Mitsubishi Tax? - lol (pricing em 300$ more than the other car models). Priced any higher than that and one might as well go up to KW Variant 3's.
They will be a little more then the PSS9's are for EVO currently. Key thing here is the economy and the US dollar...PSS9's for EVO went up in price quite a bit over the years. So they could go back down provided the US gets back on track, or Europe plummets to our level.

My understanding is that they are focusing on making the valving adjustments work a little more with the PSS10. I also believe they will be "slightly" more aggressive.

If you can't wait, I would get PSS9's or seriously look into AST coilovers. I think AST makes the best single damping adjustable out there right now for EVO. IMO comparable to KW V3's, even as a single. Little more expensive then PSS9's though.

- Andrew
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

GTWORX, you are talking about the Sport Line II's rght?

ACU-M3006S?

Considering you have the PSS9's listed at 1750$, I'm assuming the sports lines are around 1800-1900$ in price (says on the UK site, it's 995 British Pounds)? Are they designed with a minimum drop in mind? 2-Year Warranty? Rebuildable by ast-usa? The camber plates are optional right? Does the shaft fit the stock strut mount?

Both the pound and the euro has gone down in value lately against the USD (995 British Pounds == 1650 USD) - hopefully the trend continues (or is it like gas prices? rises like a rocket, but falls like a feather?)
Old Oct 31, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

My wait is finally over, I just bit the bullet and bought KW Variant 3's..
Old Oct 31, 2008, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GTWORX, you are talking about the Sport Line II's rght?

ACU-M3006S?

Considering you have the PSS9's listed at 1750$, I'm assuming the sports lines are around 1800-1900$ in price (says on the UK site, it's 995 British Pounds)? Are they designed with a minimum drop in mind? 2-Year Warranty? Rebuildable by ast-usa? The camber plates are optional right? Does the shaft fit the stock strut mount?

Both the pound and the euro has gone down in value lately against the USD (995 British Pounds == 1650 USD) - hopefully the trend continues (or is it like gas prices? rises like a rocket, but falls like a feather?)
The British AST's are a bit different then US ones at least in the naming. Here we have 4100, 4200, 4300 for 1, 2, and 3 ways.

They can take a minimum drop and i'm they can maintain stock ride height with a correctly sized spring (all our AST kits are custom springs and custom valved). Rebuildable by AST-USA. Camber plates are optional and they can fit stock mounts.

- Andrew
Old Oct 31, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the reply, hopefully one of the others buy one (I'm now committted to KW's) and post feedback.

Not very many people talk about that brand of coilover, personally - It would be great if somebody picks one up and put it through its paces targetted for people like me.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the reply, hopefully one of the others buy one (I'm now committted to KW's) and post feedback.

Not very many people talk about that brand of coilover, personally - It would be great if somebody picks one up and put it through its paces targetted for people like me.
I assume you bought the regular KW3's. Do you plan to run the springrates that come with them?

If the PSS10 come out by March I will hop of them unless I can snag a set of used PSS9's or Robispec KW's for a good deal over winter.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

I just bought the regular KW's V3s - I think I'll be fine with the stock spring rates as other people have stated they ride pretty well. The more I think about it, I made the right decision as I've ridden on PSS9's before (I wanted something that's capable of being 20-30% stiffer than those if possible). If GTWORX is correct and the price will be higher than the current PSS9's (currently @ 1750$), then it makes sense to get the V3's for 75$ more.

I'll take it out for a few mountain rides, and attend a track session before it gets cold out in the high desert and will post results then.

Last edited by funks; Oct 31, 2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Where did you find them for $1825? I really like the stock KW3 but the rear springrate is only 340lbs which is about 5.5kg. Not sure what the stock valving could handle in the rear.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Where did you find them for $1825? I really like the stock KW3 but the rear springrate is only 340lbs which is about 5.5kg. Not sure what the stock valving could handle in the rear.
PM'd. KW must be enforcing MAP pricing (minimum advertised pricing) as you don't see any of the vendors list prices that's not MSRP - lol. I hate that *shiz*, it's not how a free market ought to work. Vendors are afraid to post their lowered pricing, but lots of them will deal :] 1825 5-piece Wendy's Chicken Nuggets shipped is a great deal IMHO, as I didn't have to pay California Tax (which would have ended up costing me 150$ more + gas for a local pickup).

As for the spring rates -I've read on one of the threads that it can go up +2 kg without revalving (You can also give KW NA a call, i'm sure they'll give you an idea if the valving on the rears can handle what you are looking for). I believe the rear will be plenty stiff for my needs as I have aftermarket rear swaybars (Hotchkis). I've had KW's before (Mopar rebranded KW Variant 2's) and I know i'll be getting a quality product.

The only thing I didn't like about the KW's that I used to have was the lower perch locking mechanism (had an allen screw in it to prevent said perch from turning). Easy to strip, didn't really understand why KW just didn't include a lock-ring just like the other manufacturers (Note: KW sells metal lower perches and lock rings in their website ).

Last edited by funks; Nov 1, 2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

still no word on the PSS10s ehh? I don't think they are ever going to come out for the evo 8/9
Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure they would provide us anything we don't already have.

Between the Bilstein HD's and Stance coil overs I think most sub $2k bases are covered.

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS10 Arrival???