Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brakes (Creaking Noise)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes (Creaking Noise)

I did a quick search with ZERO results.

When I'm at a complete stop and I depress the pedal fully, as far as I can, I hear a creeking noise coming from the front left caliper. Like a squeaky door or floorboard. Imagine stepping on a squeaky floorboard, but instead it's my brake pedal. This noise is DEFIANTLY coming from the caliper. The brakes still seem to operate 100%.

I don't hear this sound during normal driving due to the fact that the brakes must be depressed completely in order to hear it. During spirited driving while fully depressing the brakes before a corner I still don't hear the noise over the road noise, wind noise, or exhaust note. I can only hear it at a complete stop.

I'm probably going to pull the wheel off and look into it further tomorrow morning. But, if this is a commen problem or if I could get any suggestions on what to look for, that would be greatly appriciated
Old Jun 8, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Any ideas? I'm about to go pull the front caliper apart to take a look.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Jun 8, 2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

good idea

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
Any ideas? I'm about to go pull the front caliper apart to take a look.
and lube the proper points before assembly.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

I just got finished "inspecting" everything. Nothing seemed at all out of sorts. Piston boots weren't torn. Brakes pads, I already knew, were at an ok depth. Rotor is ok. Everything visually was perfectly fine, except for the calipers being pink

When I put it all back together, I used some anti-seeze grease on the shims just so they would stick to the pad when I slid them back into the caliper. It just seemed to make it a little easier. I doubt this would solve any of my noise issue, though.

When I got back into the car the noise was gone. I thought maybe I would need to go get some heat in the brakes, so I went to a backroad close to my house and did a few hard stops. Still no sound. I'm not sure whether or not to be happy, or confused by this. This isn't the first time something like this has happened to me. I hear a noise, I take whatever it is apart, can't figure it out, put it back together and BOOM, no more sound Oh well, I guess.

And just to be perfectly clear, this isn't the typical "brake pad squeal" just incase people misunderstand. This would happen at a COMPLETE STOP when you depress the pedal, like stepping on a squeaky floorboard. It was defiantly coming from the brake caliper. I had a friend listen for it.

I guess we'll see if the sound comes back with time. I'm hoping to upgrade my rotors, pads, lines and fluid soon anyway because I'm over heating the stockers like nothing.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

It's a good idea to lube the edges of the pads that rub on the calipers also. If nothing else you have piece of mind now knowing there is nothing wrong with your brakes, it'd be a good idea to flush the system and install some good quality fluid while you're at it.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

sorry to dig this back up, but does anyone else have any more info on wtf this noise is? this just started in my car, and these are the EXACT symptoms with the following exceptions/additions:

mine creaks when braking, and it only creakes when the wheel is at a certain position.

i also get a noise similiar to that of a rock stuck in the tire tread when driving at normal speeds.

WD-40 stops it when i spray the entire caliper/ rotor, but only for a limited amount of time.

i dogged the **** out of my car on the highway and used the brakes pretty hard to see whether or not swelling from the heat would have any effects on the noise, and it did. the noise went away for about 2 minutes.

i bought some Series 2000 Lithium Complex Racing Grease from my amsoil guy (used for ball joints, wheel bearings or anything really) im going to take the wheel off tomorrow and lube things up to see if that makes a difference. i would just feel better if someone could give me an idea of what im supposed to be looking for specifically.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:55 PM

I've been having the same issue I believe. Is it a sudden creak? Last for about half a second? I'm pretty sure it's my brakes but everything is fine visually as far as pads, rotors, calipers...I do notice recently that it also happens when my clutch is down to the floor. Could this be a throw out bearing or the clutch itself? I have no issues with the clutch.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

i have no issue with the clutch either, and i seriously doubt its the TOB, especially since the guy above miraculously fixed his by means unknown...

mine does occur like you said:

"Is it a sudden creak? Last for about half a second? I'm pretty sure it's my brakes but everything is fine visually as far as pads, rotors, calipers"

but like i stated above, that creaking noise turns into a "chep chep chep chep" noise while moving and its fequency is speed based.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

bump for an answer
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its an evo thing
my evo does it along with all my friends evos
its because the pads are semi aggressive and you will get that with aggressive pads
Old Aug 13, 2008, 04:20 AM

Yeah it's pretty normal if it squeaks coming to a stop lightly, but if it squeaks while your stopped and your pressing the pedal in then it sounds like you just need some anti-seize or some brake pad lube on the pins that the pads slide on.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

its not a squeek (a squeek like say a ford focus would get) i said a "creak" like it sounds like someone is slowly pulling deep nails out of a 2X4
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
I did a quick search with ZERO results.

When I'm at a complete stop and I depress the pedal fully, as far as I can, I hear a creeking noise coming from the front left caliper. Like a squeaky door or floorboard. Imagine stepping on a squeaky floorboard, but instead it's my brake pedal. This noise is DEFIANTLY coming from the caliper. The brakes still seem to operate 100%.

I don't hear this sound during normal driving due to the fact that the brakes must be depressed completely in order to hear it. During spirited driving while fully depressing the brakes before a corner I still don't hear the noise over the road noise, wind noise, or exhaust note. I can only hear it at a complete stop.

I'm probably going to pull the wheel off and look into it further tomorrow morning. But, if this is a commen problem or if I could get any suggestions on what to look for, that would be greatly appriciated
I hear the same noise whenever I press the brake at a stop, it's a creak just like you describe. I never hear it when driving/braking, only when the car is at a stop and I press the brake. Sounds exactly like pulling a nail out of a 2x4. My brakes are working great otherwise.

Last edited by No.9; Aug 13, 2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Ever since I took my brakes apart, the sound comes and goes. Sometimes it does it, sometime it doesn't. I'm learned to live with it. It doesn't affect braking at all.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bumping this thread for an update.

Did any of you who've had this issue have any updates? Did the noise go away after a while? Or is it still intermittent?

This issue just started on my evo today. I press brakes hard at a stop, and I hear a creak from the front passenger side caliper. I can literally feel a slight vibration through the chassis. Brakes work fine otherwise. Gonna try lubing my pads w/ anti-squeal.

Now that I think about it, it sounds like the backing plate scraping against the pins that hold the pads in place. I'll try lubing that.. or just taking out the backing plates altogether.

Quick Reply: Brakes (Creaking Noise)