Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Which Brake Duct Cooling Kit for my EVO 8 ???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rawkus
In my experience step up to a 2 piece rotor before going with ducting. The 2 piece design helped out in our case 1000x more than the cooling ducts. We made our own out of the existing heat shield that runs a 3" hose directly above our splitter out into clean air.

Dan
That is very interesting; I got absolutely ZERO benefit/improvement from going from stock front rotors to 2-piece rotors. I even contacted the manufacturer to verify I had them installed on the right sides of the car, in case the "right/left" identifying decals had been slapped on backwards.

Adding ducting, on the other hand, made a very noticeable difference for me at the track: I could lap probably twice as long before my pedal went soft, all else being the same (same pads, same fluid, etc).

But seeing as how buying an off-the-shelf ducting kit (or making your own setup with silicone hose sourced from Pegagus Auto Racing or HRPworld) costs a lot less than buying $700 worth of front rotors, why wouldn't someone do ducts first?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS kit works wonderul for me, I stopped charcoaling pads after there install.
Old May 20, 2011, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread revival... what are the serious track Evos running in the way of brake ducting? The only options I see at this point are the AMS kit (waay too spendy) and the Binary duct plate (build the rest your self). Both of which are 2" and arguably too small. I know the opening between the caliper and hub is pretty small, however, I still think 2" tubing would be a serious restriction. Through some research, mainly on IWSTI, I found some good ideas for ducting but unfortunately there aren't any good solutions that are >2" for the hub/spindle duct plate.

The Evo and STI Brembos are essentially the same with the exception mounting points, correct? It's interesting because the Suby guys don't waste their time with anything smaller than 3" ducting, but 2" is the standard in the Evo community. I need to figure out a ducting solution asap but don't want to spend $200+ building an inefficient brake duct setup.

For those interested, here's the thread on IWSTI with a lot of good options and ideas for brake ducting. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-braki...-ducts-10.html

And this is the duct plate that the STIs use... I'm not sure but it seems to have a 3" inlet judging by the hose size everyone is using. http://store.quantummotorsports.com/...cPath=19_20_29