Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Installed Swifts and only one problem (help please)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Swifts and only one problem (help please)

So last night my new springs came in and I was too excited to get them on so I worked on it for about four hours (there was a bit of a learning curve since this was my first spring install). So my only issue is the rear height is higher than stock, so there are two possiable problems. One is has any one else modified the rear bump stop when installing swift sport springs on a GSR (is this required my paper work says no) or the more likely answer is I did not seat the bump stops in all the way. I can look and see that the bump stop is not fully seated, so I assume this is the problem. So, do I need to take it all apart and seat it better or will it seat itself with a little spirited driving?

any tips appreciated, I assume with anything it's going to require the harder choice and uninstalling it!
Old Jul 3, 2008, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The bump stop will seat itself as long as it's on there. That's not the cause for your rear ride height.

Do you have a picture?

- Andrew
Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

here are some pics from my cell phone (sorry I am at work). the drivers side gap in the back is just more than two fingers, on the passenger side I can fit three fingers. I tried to lable the picture and mess with the brightness so that you could see what I was talking about. The other drivers side bump stop seems to be seated more than the passenger side?

passenger side (seems to high to me?)

while I have somone's attention I might as well ask this too: I know people say that swift springs won't sag. Does that mean that they won't settle right after being installed as well? I know from my old honda days with ghetto springs it took a couple of days before the springs settled down and the true drop of the car was seen. I guess I tend to think of sagging as a long term problem, not the immediate settling of the springs.

Last edited by teamsprock; Jul 3, 2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Did you rest the ends of the coil at the notch on the top and bottom of the perch that is located on the shock?

Yes, these springs will take a few driving miles to get them to seat. I have at least 300 to 400 miles on my springs already and they've started to settle real nicely.

Last edited by timmiii; Jul 3, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by timmiii
Did you rest the ends of the coil at the notch on the top and bottom of the perch that is located on the shock?

Yes, these springs will take a few driving miles to get them to seat. I have at least 300 to 400 miles on my springs already and they've started to settle real nicely.
Yes, the notches that keep the spring from rotating are set right, I remember making sure of that.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

The springs are not properly seated or the spring/shock assembly is incorrect. If none of the above, like they say, those springs are for another car
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Problem solved.... I had the forks on the strut rotated 180 degrees from how it should be. I guess I am not suprised, since I was in a rush, it was the first one and it was my first time doing it. I guess thats what I get for being in a rush. It's all good now except for some rattling up front wich I believe to be my downpipe. I will have to look into that more in the morning.