Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What's with the prices for pads?!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2003, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am leaving for the UK next week...I think I will pick up some Pagid pads whilst there....I can;t remember what Claudius recommended from them a few months ago...anyone know?
Old Aug 29, 2003, 02:43 PM

I had Pagid RS14B pads previously. Lots of bite, really high friction. Stopped the car great. Warped the rotors just great too.

- Robert
Old Aug 29, 2003, 02:47 PM
In Timeout

I have the carbotech's and have them on for about 2 weeks. I am running the hardcore XP pads and they squeal a little when you are light on the breaks but after several 100 to 0 stops it keeps getting better! I have to say Carbotech and Larry are great and they know their stuff. I may get a different set for the street but these stop good but just make a lot of noise. Also the stock pads are sloped at about a 45 angle to keep the squeaking down. I think if I did that with theses pads it would help. Going to Barber tomorrow should be fun.

-=Ryan
Old Aug 29, 2003, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

XPs make noise. They just do. That happens when you have a very high friction coefficient material. That's one reason we do not recommend them for constant street use.

We are chamfering our new street pads (Bobcat) now to reduce the potential for noise.

And you don't need to go to Europe to get our pads

Last edited by Maddmatt; Aug 29, 2003 at 06:32 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Ryan, let us know how they (XPs) do at Barber. I need to get down there someday. I hear it's like Disneyland for track junkies....
Old Aug 30, 2003, 09:26 PM
Account Disabled

not to flame Tirerack, but EBC is about the worst set of pads out there - completely eat rotors, and very prone to fading fast.

The Hawk pads do not fit the Evo caliper either - they are too thick.

There are several sets of pads out there, just depends what you are looking to do with the car? Endless has a wide variety of compoinds, and we have had great success with them on street and track oriented setups. They are on par cost wise with what you have seen
Old Aug 31, 2003, 11:16 AM

FWIW, I got Hawk Blues front and rear from Porterfield. The fronts are F40s, and they fit fine. I've been somewhat concerned about heat buildup in the front, and I'm going to check pad surface area of the Blues versus stock later this week. But stock cars I've seen at the track also have heat problems (discolored calipers, melting center caps), so probably reduced surface area is not the problem. I suspect inadequate airflow for serious track usage. Even so, there's no fade, just heat.
Old Sep 1, 2003, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Z1 Performance
not to flame Tirerack, but EBC is about the worst set of pads out there - completely eat rotors, and very prone to fading fast.

The Hawk pads do not fit the Evo caliper either - they are too thick.

It really depends on the application you are using the EBC pads in. I'll admit that EBC pads do wear a bit quicker than others like Hawk, but they tend to be a good pad overall for the majority of vehicles on the road.

When the EVO was first introduced, there was already a huge demand for performance parts such as brakes. The Brembos on the EVO are very similar to other applications so the brake manufactures thought that their pads would cross refrence over to the EVO. Well, as we all know, they had some fitment issues in the beginning. They recognized this problem and worked quickly to fix it. Because of these fitment issues, Hawk has to produce a completly new pad for the EVO. Unfortunately, a few EVO owners had to be the test rabbit and its given them a bad rep ever since. I am sure that Hawk and EBC are not the only manufactures out there that had issues when the car first hit the states.

There are pads on the horizon from Hawk. They are still in R&D and should hit the market this late fall.

No flame taken
Old Sep 3, 2003, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Well I just tried out the Endless CC-X. Hammered the hell out of them and I was impressed. Damn expensive at nearly 460 a set front and rear. They don't look to be doing my rotors any favors either. But they have really good modulation and they bite hard. Most importantly they're more consistent than the stock pads. I will most likely run them at Laguna Seca in November.