Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tires for IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:58 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
Tires for IX MR

I have the stock wheels and tires on my car. It has 10K miles. Tires still look pretty good, I should be able to get another 5K out of them. Just for curiosity, I checked a local place and for the same stock tires it came with, they want 1200$ for 4, installed. Any options for something very similar in performance and grip for a bit less?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my Michelin PS2 (235-45-17) off www.tirerack.com for like 800 bucks.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:10 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YzBrad99
I got my Michelin PS2 (235-45-17) off www.tirerack.com for like 800 bucks.
Do you notice any difference from stock?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Smile I got my brand new set of 4 for about $400.00

The new set that I bought may not be as sticky or have the grip like the original Advans, but they fulfill 75% of the job for much less cost. I think the brand is "Corsa" or somethin like that. One of the local tire shops was running a half price special or something and my dad got me that special deal. Don't spend too much on tires because they wear out anyways. I would get something of decent quality, but keep in mind that the top of the line is not needed. Search for specials at local tire shops and you may find tires with a balance of quality, performance, and price. All the best my friend!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:19 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Oh - let me also add I do not care how loud the tires are.

I am concerned with cornering grip, stability, and not spinning my wheels when trying to make a getaway lol.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:37 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nawaz
The new set that I bought may not be as sticky or have the grip like the original Advans, but they fulfill 75% of the job for much less cost. I think the brand is "Corsa" or somethin like that. One of the local tire shops was running a half price special or something and my dad got me that special deal. Don't spend too much on tires because they wear out anyways. I would get something of decent quality, but keep in mind that the top of the line is not needed. Search for specials at local tire shops and you may find tires with a balance of quality, performance, and price. All the best my friend!
I want a tire that for the most part, feels like stock - not 75% of stock.

If I cant find anything else close I'll go with these RE01's that are 199 each.

I would like to stick with a Japanese brand though if possible.

Last edited by Jp7; Jul 14, 2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
I want a tire that for the most part, feels like stock - not 75% of stock.
I would go for the $1200 installed original Advan tires then. Good luck.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Give the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs a try. They haven't been out for too long, but most reviews of them are pretty positive. I believe that in stock size, they're $137 (on Tire Rack). More than likely they will be my replacements for the factory tires.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 03:46 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Has anyone remounted thier right tires on the left wheels and vice versa? Right now I am running -1.1 degrees camber at all 4 corners. I am getting very reasonable wear. I do see the inside wearing just a TAD bit more then the outside, especially in the front. I figure if I put the right on the left and vice versa it will let me use these tires for a bit longer. Right now I am just concentrating on rotating them from front to rear every 3000 miles.

Obviously they have to be remounted and balanced, as they are directional.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

if you're going to have to use the car in winter I wouldn't get re01's.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
Has anyone remounted thier right tires on the left wheels and vice versa? Right now I am running -1.1 degrees camber at all 4 corners. I am getting very reasonable wear. I do see the inside wearing just a TAD bit more then the outside, especially in the front. I figure if I put the right on the left and vice versa it will let me use these tires for a bit longer. Right now I am just concentrating on rotating them from front to rear every 3000 miles.

Obviously they have to be remounted and balanced, as they are directional.
I was planning on doing the same thing, probably sometime after 15k miles. I have about 13100 miles on my SE, and there's still a decent amount of meat left. I'm hoping to get 20k out of this set with a remount eventually along with a proper alignment set to my desired specs (rather than setting them within a range like they do at the dealership) after I get my springs installed.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Give the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs a try. They haven't been out for too long, but most reviews of them are pretty positive. I believe that in stock size, they're $137 (on Tire Rack). More than likely they will be my replacements for the factory tires.
+1
i have the direzza z1 star specs and they are stickier than stock, cheaper (from tire rack, less than $600 shipped), and sticky.... i haven't been able to autocross them yet, but on a mountain pass they were everything i wanted.... if snow/ice is a concern then don't get them, but stock tires kinda suck in that as well, so a second set is necessary.... but the treadwear is pretty quick with them (probably similar to stock, which lasted me about 15k miles and had cords showing by that time)...
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vassago
+1
i have the direzza z1 star specs and they are stickier than stock, cheaper (from tire rack, less than $600 shipped), and sticky.... i haven't been able to autocross them yet, but on a mountain pass they were everything i wanted.... if snow/ice is a concern then don't get them, but stock tires kinda suck in that as well, so a second set is necessary.... but the treadwear is pretty quick with them (probably similar to stock, which lasted me about 15k miles and had cords showing by that time)...
Based on your experience, is there anything that you think the Z1 Star Specs can't match the stock Advans in?

And for anyone else who has tried these tires, have you been noticing a similar treadlife to stock?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:39 AM

wet.... the tread pattern has very little for wet traction, snow and ice is out of the question but i'm going to probably get blizzacks for that... but overall for performance dry grip the direzzas are rated among the neovas and re01s but for much less cost, and have better initial cold grip.... the next autocross for me is about a week and a half out, so i'll have more to say then (though i got the tires and coilovers at the same time, so it'll be hard to differentiate)... plus after stockers i had the toyo proxes4 (all season, and ****ty all round, avoid them), but the direzzas are the stickiest in dry by far that i've had....
Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

If you have a little bit of patience, then you can find a good set of barely used stock Advans for between $100 - $130 per tire ($400-500 per set of 4). I've been using them for track days, and have gone through 3 sets in the last couple of years. The most common issue on used Advans is uneven wear, so be on the lookout for that if you choose to go that route.

l8r)

Quick Reply: Tires for IX MR