Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

I need rotors, are Rotorpros the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
http://www.maperformance.com/store/p...cat=604&page=1

Agree with Jeff - track the hell out of mine - work great.

Slotted, not coated.
If you get them in a color like black, does that mean they are zinc coated?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

^ No, it means that they are painted. My first set were painted red, and most of the paint burned off during the first track day.

l8r)
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by daisaw1219
the zinc coating does not work....Your brakes will suck until the zine has worn out. After break in you couldnt even see the zinc anymore...Dont pay extra for it.
the point of the zinc is to protect the surfaces that don't come in contact with the pad from corrosion... or so I thought. it isn't supposed to do anything for the part that touches the pad, just prevent unsightly rust from the non-wearing parts of the rotor.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm I am using PowerSlots all around, and i drive like a fking retard and tailgate most of people on the road, still havent got in any accident. they work like champs, not too expensive neither.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

I just installed my rotorpros rotors and pads last Friday. Still trying to break them in. The vendor told me to do 30-10mph braking for about 13 or so miles. Then 55-30mph braking for about 20 or so miles. Then after that I can brake as hard as I want.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kim.ry
hmmm I am using PowerSlots all around, and i drive like a fking retard and tailgate most of people on the road, still havent got in any accident. they work like champs, not too expensive neither.
PowerSlots, is what i'm going with....I've had them before in my integra & they worked very good....
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Standard powerslot slotted rotors (nevermind cryo frozen), can't go wrong, and they look great behind my new 18's

Apparently slotted rotors also allow you to tailgate, woo whoo.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rcheung
It looks like the only people who don't like rotorpros are the people who haven't tried them. I have 30K miles on mine including autorcrosses and trackdays and are holding up like a champ. No warping or exessive wear.
I disagree with that. I'd run then originally, and they're basically stock blanks. They're going to hold just as much heat as a stock rotor.

Running them in back is fine though.

For anyone else that hasn't read and done research, it's highly doubtful you warped any rotors. It's brake pad buildup. any questions? put it on a lathe, and measure a few points. it'll be round.

You won't notice any quicker stopping with new rotors, the only reason to upgrade them is if you're running on track, and you're overheating them, and they're holding too much heat. I honestly recommend the performance friction 2 piece units. They were always great for me. Night and day to stock rotors (or rotorpros.)

Secondly, there is no reason to run slotted rotors, unless you like chewing up pads much quicker than needed. Sure, as the rotor spins, it'll get fresh pad every time you want to stop, but on the street. completely unnecessary.

Moral of Story: Go out and use a caliper on your rotors, see if they're within the service limit. If so? Go out and rebed your pads in, you'll be fine.

If not, buy a cheap, non-slotted, non-drilled, non-nothinged rotor, and put it on. it'll be more than sufficient for any street or auto-x car.

If you're heavily tracking, I'd recommend TRACK pads with the proper 2 piece rotors. Street pads have no business being on the track, unless you like destroying stuff, and like to have smoke rolling off your brakes as you pull into the pits.