Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

best way to keep brake dust off?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BURNALL_4
I just bought a bottle. Ill let you guys know how it works. If you want some and cant get it neer you. Its $15.99+TAX(8%)=$17.27 (cost me). I can do it for $30 shipped and ill eat the paypal fee.
let me know how it is
im curious

and ive heard the whole like pam thing but it sounds like a weird thing and i was waiting for someone to give some input on this too

i have this stuff that is like a special protectant wax. its used for snowplows. im thinking about trying it. i use it on my exhaust and it shines the stainless and nothing sticks to it at all. if i try it i will let you know how it goes
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just take my wheels of and wash them thouroughly with regular car wash soap or simple green. Dry the rims really good, I use compressed air to get the small drops out of the bead. Finally wax them with like 3 or 4 coats of wax. I do this twice a year. I have NT03+M and they are a ***** to clean.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your best bet is to use Poorboy's Wheel Sealant after washing them. Do this every 3-4 months and your wheels will be in excellent shape and will not get clear coat damage or stained from brake dust as easy. Just wash them with soap and water in between coatings and they will clean up very easy!! Just use regular car soap and not something that will strip the wax off..
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get Magic Pads. They only put a light film of dust on your wheels with 500mi under your belt. Better then ceramic pads with better initial bite over stock and they don't squeak. We have VOLK GTF (very intricate wheels) on our EVO X and they were a &%#$ to clean when the OE pads were on it. Now it’s just a blast of the hose and a quick wipe on the lip and you’re done.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old Jul 25, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

get better brakes! i went with pro stop and it works for me
Old Jul 25, 2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by hokiruu
whatever you do, DON'T fall for the PAM/cooking oil thing. I was dumb enough to think people were serious and ended up spending ages cleaning gooey gunk with sand, dirt, and brake dust in it off my wheels. I was the butt of a joke.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silver9mr
i just wax my rims every once in a while and it works awsome. the brake dust just washes off them wicked easy makes life much easier
+1

I wax my wheels (both the stock Enkeis/track and the white TDR race pros/street) twice a year with NuFinish, and I clean them after every track day (inside and out). If, for some reason I get dust building up in between tire swaps, I just spray some rim cleaner on them (I forget which kind, there are dozens of them out there) and hose them off.

l8r)
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
clean them properly then spray Mr Sheen on them... be careful not to get mrsheen on the rotors/pads...
Old Jul 26, 2008, 09:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by silver9mr
i just wax my rims every once in a while and it works awsome. the brake dust just washes off them wicked easy makes life much easier
I have also heard waxing makes them super easy to clean
Old Jul 27, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
i wash my car once a week and in order to get the brake dust off i just scrub them with a rim brush soaked in my car washing fluid. It seems to work fine. Im always afraid to spray any harsh chemicals on my rims due to the chance that it could discolor them...what specific brands are you guys using to clean them/keep them clean?
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Im always afraid to spray any harsh chemicals on my rims due to the chance that it could discolor them...what specific brands are you guys using to clean them/keep them clean?
I was as well, but I did some research. I've been using Meguiar's Hot Rim All-Wheel Cleaner and a simple wheel brush for about a year now. When I am about to wash, I spray, brush, and rinse each wheel, and caliper individually, then proceed to wash the car.

The dust comes off very easily, it should take a couple minutes per wheel to get everything. It's also very important to not let the cleaner dry and rinse it off really, really well. I used them on the stock Enkies and now my Work Emo's and I'm happy with the results; both the rims and Brembos look good as new.

Last edited by RichC; Jul 27, 2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC
I was as well, but I did some research. I've been using Meguiar's Hot Rim All-Wheel Cleaner and a simple wheel brush for about a year now. When I am about to wash, I spray, brush, and rinse each wheel, and caliper individually, then proceed to wash the car.

The dust comes off very easily, it should take a couple minutes per wheel to get everything. It's also very important to not let the cleaner dry and rinse it off really, really well. I used them on the stock Enkies and now my Work Emo's and I'm happy with the results; both the rims and Brembos look good as new.

i bought that bottle and its inconvenient- wont get any dust off mine without scrubbing.

i bought mother's and if i spray and then hose it down 90% of it comes off.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:46 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donotswitchoff0
get better brakes! i went with pro stop and it works for me
You did not just call pro stops better brake pads. They don't hold a candle to oe pads in terms of braking force. They probably do dust less though.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by igo4bmx
i bought that bottle and its inconvenient- wont get any dust off mine without scrubbing.

i bought mother's and if i spray and then hose it down 90% of it comes off.
So what happens to the other 10%? Brushing lightly works for me, scrubbing seems a little too harsh. You must have some sticky-*** dust. What bottle of Mother's are you using?

Last edited by RichC; Jul 28, 2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rogueXevolution
what is the best way to keep the brake dust off my bbs'?
i know for track days petroleum jelly is good to use
but is there anything else out there that works and is more practical for daily driving?
thanks
Why is everyone telling him how to get brake dust off his rims? He wants to know how to keep them from getting dusty in the first place. Getting brake dust off isn't really a mystery, keeping it off is the hard part and the topic of the post.

I hear there’s a coating you can have put on the rims to keep brake dust from sticking to them. I came across this thread while trying to find out more about it.

Quick Reply: best way to keep brake dust off?